Windows XP Sp2 heads-up

Lumine

Newcomer
I found out from work that MS will be automatically updating all non-Sp2 Xp systems to sp2 on April 12. This isn't such a big deal except that if you have some virii or spyware installed when it happens, you basically can't get rid of them without reinstalling windows (as it was explained to me).

So, heads-up, You'll get updated to Sp2 on April 12

edit: clarification, all machines that have automatic updates on

My company will need to update 12000 of their machines with SP2.
In my feasibility report this ended up as an estimated $120,000.

digitalwanderer said:
Is there anyone here who has their XP set to auto-update? :|

XP's auto-update feature isn't feasible to use on office machines because it would interrupt the normal use of the machines and it is a high security risk.

We are forced to use alternative means to update the machines which increase the costs even more.

M$ products are far too costly to use in business.

It amazes me how many people turn off Auto Updates in System Properties > Automatic Updates but don't turn it off in the services.

Service On

Service Off

K.I.L.E.R said:
digitalwanderer said:

XP's auto-update feature isn't feasible to use on office machines because it would interrupt the normal use of the machines and it is a high security risk.

Yes. In my company, we've been advised NOT to install SP2, since it's not compatible with a whole bunch of apps we're using here.

Any company which allows auto updates DESERVES to be hacked, robbed and burnt down imediately.

hmm, i tend to notice the opposite problems,, people *not* bothering to do any updates or installs, hence leaving their pc's open to all sorts of malware.....
mainly thru lack of knowledge,,, so having a nice and automatic solution is mucho better :-/ .

davefb said:
hmm, i tend to notice the opposite problems,, people *not* bothering to do any updates or installs, hence leaving their pc's open to all sorts of malware.....
mainly thru lack of knowledge,,, so having a nice and automatic solution is mucho better :-/ .

i tend not to use M$ products like IE or Outlook Express and my comp is clean.... i also have firewall and AV, so why bother?

if there is some really big hole that needs to be dealt with, like that JPEG vulnerability, then i install patch, but automatic updates????...no f way....
i dont even have SP2 and i wont have it for sure....

Why are you guys so paranoid about automatic updates? Sure, I don't have mine to actually download and install them automatically, but it's convenient as hell to KNOW there are updates available!

digitalwanderer said:

No, but a lot of non-geeks who don't know what anything on the Windows Update site means need it on automatic. IIRC, it only installs the critical updates, which is probably important for those people that don't know when the latest worm/virus/windows security hole is taking place.

_xxx_ said:
The problem is somewhere else.

The Laws of Computer Programming
Any given program, when running, is obsolete.
Any given program costs more and takes longer each time it is run.
If a program is useful, it will have to be changed.
If a program is useless, it will have to be documented.
Any given program will expand to fill all the available memory.
The value of a program is inversely proportional to the weight of its output.
Program complexity grows until it exceeds the capability of the programmer who must maintain it.

Pierce's Law
In any computer system, the machine will always misinterpret, misconstrue, misprint, or not evaluate any math or subroutines or fail to print any output on at least the first run through.

Corollary to Pierce's Law
When a compiler accepts a program without error on the first run, the program will not yield the desired output.

Back