Windows XP sp1, nforce 2 and SATA

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
This is a quickie.

What do I need and how do I install a SATA hd considering I have an asus a7n8x deluxe and only windows xp sp1 install cd.

When winxp install asks for "another drive raid/scsi", what drivers should I use?

Thanks...

You need a floppy with the drivers for the SATA drive. If it wasn't with the motherboard, download them, unzip, put on a floppy and insert it when the Windows setup asks you to insert a floppy with other drivers right at the start.

Here is the link to the file you need. The readme isn't very clear, but as far as I can see you only have to copy the files in the first directory to a floppy, press F6 at the start of the Windows setup and insert the floppy.

Also make sure you have an updated BIOS.
Most mobos seem to come with BIOS that don't recognise SATA properly & this is the main problem experienced.

I really don't want to flash my BIOS.
If something goes wrong during the flash process, how do I revert it?

mito said:
I really don't want to flash my BIOS.
There's really nothing to worry about it, I've done it dozens of times. I always prefer to do it from a DOS disk rather than via Windows, though, as the former is more reliable.
If something goes wrong during the flash process, how do I revert it?
Sometimes you can reset the CMOS, but generally you can't :) You can buy things like BIOS Saviour if you are really worried. Generally, though, there's nothing to worry about. Often the SATA controller BIOS is flashed with the main BIOS so it can be essential to make sure you have the latest version as well as latets Silicon Image drivers.

ok, but still if something goes wrong, how do I restore the original BIOS?

thanks again... :cry:

you put your original on a disk too. The only real issue is a power outage during flash. Just set your Boot priority to Floppy in bios first.

I just upgraded to bios 1008 using the Asus Update program in WinXP... But I almost shit my pants.

That POST/speech thing is enabled by default, and it didn't work. I was really scared. So I reset CMOS and turned my PC back on. Disabled speech and now it's perfect...

:)

A few minutes of despair..... :cry:

wireframe said:
If I understand this correctly, the A7NX8 Deluxe has two SATA ports and they are driven by a Silicon Image 3112A controller. The driver is available from Asus and I also recommend you update your BIOS to the latest version (1009) as this also upgrades the SATA ROM.

You should find everything you need here: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A7N8X Deluxe

Just a reminder: bios 1009 is NOT for a7n8x-dlx rev2.0, only prior versions (1.03 and 1.06)...

The latest for rev2.0 is 1008....

Diplo said:
I always prefer to do it from a DOS disk rather than via Windows, though, as the former is more reliable.

Why do you prefer DOS over windows? Any real difference?

mito said:
Diplo said:
I always prefer to do it from a DOS disk rather than via Windows, though, as the former is more reliable.

It's much safer, as there is nothing running in the background that can interfere.

DiGuru said:
mito said:
Diplo said:

It's much safer, as there is nothing running in the background that can interfere.

I guess you're right. While Asus Update was flashing the ROM, I was running Bittorrent, outlook express, firefox, msn messenger and messing around with ATI Tray Tools...

:oops: dude, you post that you're scared to flash your bios & then do it in Windoze with heaps of apps running in the background, WTF?! :?

Is it all working properly now?

arrrse said:
:oops: dude, you post that you're scared to flash your bios & then do it in Windoze with heaps of apps running in the background, WTF?! :?

Is it all working properly now?

LMAO!!!

Yes, apparently everything is OK. Haven't installed the SATA drive though because I don't have the power connector.

mito said:
DOS is a tiny operating system with very little scope to go wrong. Windows is a labyrinthine operating system with an infinite capacity to go wrong. Which one would you trust? Also, I remember well reading the forums after the first Windows Award flash utlities - many people had their BIOS screwed. Maybe they are better nowadays but I figure why take the risk? Also, with DOS you can always try again using a boot-floppy with an autoexec.bat file even if you can't get into Windows or have no VDU.

Back