Windows vista supporting HD DVD... what is significant about this???

infinity4

Veteran
blu-ray can be supported by third party software, but i heard people talking about strength of HD DVD due to this... what is this meaning???

also i personally feel that windows vista should have been on HD DVD even though it doesnt take that much necessary space to win the war... why didn't they do it??? they have over 90% OS shares, Pc gamers will have to get Vista to play DX10 games... nothing's at risk if Vista was on HD DVD disc.

blu-ray can be supported by third party software, but i heard people talking about strength of HD DVD due to this... what is this meaning???.

Think about it. Ever PC with vista install can play HD-DVD movies (assuming the have the hardware) with out any extra software installed. That means all of us lazy folks out there (me) and our moms/dads/grandfolks/ect don't HAVE to install anything else to play a HD-DVD where as thats not not exactly the same for Blue-Ray. Think about how IE killed netscape just because it was on every windows PC.....agreed thats a far fetched strech for Blue-Ray vrs HD-DVD but still shows the advantage of having it on vista.

The idea of Microsoft shipping Windows Vista on a HD DVD is insane. Think about it for second. Think about the cost of that would add, think about the bad press, think about how many large companies you would piss off even further.

The idea of Microsoft shipping Windows Vista on a HD DVD is insane. Think about it for second. Think about the cost of that would add, think about the bad press, think about how many large companies you would piss off even further.

i thought despite with software on HD DVD microsoft will still get huge profit margin??? and i thought they always had been getting bad reputation for killing rivals' softwares with WMP etc???

i thought despite with software on HD DVD microsoft will still get huge profit margin??? and i thought they always had been getting bad reputation for killing rivals' softwares with WMP etc???

First some advice, ??? is not need and actual sentences would rock.

Secondly, this is entirely different. Microsoft does make a sizable profit. But they need to sell Vista and have to catch on, its a major OS release for them and will be a platform used to sell many of their other products. With that said, how many out there have a Vista worth computer and have a HD DVD drive? There's basically no real market for that at all. People are already pissed off about Vista costing so much, do you think they want to add a $100 disc drive that has no real purpose to them at this point and has no real firm grasp or any guarantee it will last just so they can install Vista? Therefore shipping Vista on a HD DVD is completely pointless and will hurt sales significantly.

Second, Vista supporting HD DVD out of the box is good for that camp. However I personally seriously doubt it will be "that" big of a advantage. Those looking to do this are also willing to do a quick google to find other free video players that can play either HD DVD or Blu Ray. However, Microsoft pushing HD DVD is a big issue and getting the hardware out there does help that camp.

Back