windows, ms-dos 6.2, hdd cache and reboot

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
1. When I reboot while in ms-dos 6.2 and not using smartdrv, will DOS flush everything in cache to the HD?

2. If Windows crashes or there's a power failure, files in memory may be lost. What about what's in the HDD's cache, is it automatically flushed/committed no matter the circunstances?

Depends.

Cache of the HD? Or buffered on the PC?

The HD cache should flush properly. Any buffers on the PC not committed to the HD will likely go into the pooper.

I edited the original message...

While in MS-DOS 6.2 without smartdrv, DOS will not cache anything, right?

mito said:
Almost all modern file systems (including DOS) buffer at least a few sectors for improved performance. Ok, to be pedantic, its the software layer above dos, and in the stdio that use buffered reads/writes, but still. Unless you are at a dos prompt, you risk losing something if you have a sudden power loss.

RussSchultz said:
mito said:
Almost all modern file systems (including DOS) buffer at least a few sectors for improved performance. Ok, to be pedantic, its the software layer above dos, and in the stdio that use buffered reads/writes, but still. Unless you are at a dos prompt, you risk losing something if you have a sudden power loss.

I understand. But DOS will flush everything even if I immediately press CTRL+ALT+DEL, right?

Back