Windows 7 registry help

JaylumX

Newcomer
Windows 7 registry help [Solved]

I have a vbs file which applies to the registry some values designed to correct the colour space for video playback (changes 6-235 to 0-255) on my HD4870. I am assuming the changes are applied to the driver or at a driver level. This worked flawlessly on my Vista 64 instal but now i am play testing the 7100 version of Windows 7 and when i run the vbs, everything goes dandily until towards the end when i get the message;

"you do not have permission to set registry value"

I don't understand why i get this. On Vista the tweak worked on the catalyst 9.3 driver so shouldn't it be the same with Windows 7 since it is also using Cats 9.3.

How do i obtain the required permission level to set the values as my user name has administrative privilages. I really would like this solved as it took me a long time to find a solution to get the fix to display the correct colour space for my monitor (and before that this colour issue has been a torn in my side since the old Riva TNT days).

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

EDIT: Problem was solved thanks to a much appreciated help from
Skynet on the Rage3D discussion boards. Cheers fella.

Linkage

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the runas command, maybe running it as "Administrator" will work. if not, try as "SYSTEM", even.

Your hack may be too specific as well. If your driver conforms to WDDM 1.1 in Windows 7, vs WDDM 1.0 in Vista (I don't know if it's mandatory), it probably doesn't run the same way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Model

There are changes regarding video playback and 2D acceleration (they put it back in! a good "new" feature.)

In regedit, navigate to the key that's causing a problem and change the permissions. The permissions are available as a right-click on the tree in the left hand pane.

Jawed

In regedit, navigate to the key that's causing a problem and change the permissions. The permissions are available as a right-click on the tree in the left hand pane.

Jawed

Just attemped to change the permission and it will not allow me to change it.

Cheers anyway fellas

Edit: The error message i got was;

"unable to save permission changes in 0000, Access is denied"

Try editing permissions higher up in the tree. I think I had this "unsettable permission" problem with one key I was mucking about with. Trouble is, I don't remember how I solved it...

Hmm, now I think about it, also try deleting the users who are listed. I had to do something devious, just not sure what now...

Oh, another thing, try to modify the allowed actions on the Advanced Security Settings dialog. Hmm, I think this might be what I did in the end, not deletion. Try this first!

I'm on XP by the way. I don't know the practicalities of backing-up/restoring the registry - I only tinker with stuff that's not important. I dare say what you're tinkering with isn't important either, but erm, you might like to take a backup!

Oh, my user is also a full administrator too, so I went through similar grief as you. It's bizarre that an administrator can be locked out of registry keys like this.

Jawed

The methods above didn't work. Thanks for your help anyways fellas.

I stumbled on a temporary solution. Since i am using Media Player Classic Home Cinema choosing EVR Custom Pres rendering mode gives me an option to use shaders that correct the colour space. Now i have known this for a very long time but did not use it because that mode made the colours (red in particular) have a comby, steppy, blocky artifact that was very distracting in my videos. Frustrated for a resolution to this problem I curiously clicked on the YV12 Chroma upsampling and it solved the combing artifacts.

To note the rendering artifact is not present in EVR mode but since that mode can't use shaders, i am stuck with the incorrect colour spce for my monitor.

Again thanks for your advice. I can live with this temporary solution because it looks as if i have the registry tweak enabled. I only use MPC for video playback anyway while for Bluray and DVD i use Arcsoft TotalTheatre which dosn't appear to be affected by the colour space bug.

click start orb, write regedit, right click on the program popping up in the menu and pick "Run as Adminstrator", then try the suggestion related to registry in this thread again.

I haven't noticed anything looking any different in EVR Custom and EVR standard, btw.

Back