Will we get realistic hair next gen?

ralexand

Regular
What's it going to take to get hair like in the DOA4 cutscenes and Tekken ps3 video? Do these new gpus have the power to give at least a couple of characters realistic hair?

ralexand said:
What's it going to take to get hair like in the DOA4 cutscenes and Tekken ps3 video? Do these new gpus have the power to give at least a couple of characters realistic hair?

a next-gen GSCube, or should I say, 'RSXCube' :p with 16 sets of PS3's chipset, and many gigs of RAM.

alternatively, a 'XenonCube' with 16 Xenon-Xenos chipsets 8)

Megadrive1988 said:
a next-gen GSCube, or should I say, 'RSXCube' :p with 16 sets of PS3's chipset, and many gigs of RAM.

alternatively, a 'XenonCube' with 16 Xenon-Xenos chipsets 8)

If your in the unfortunate position of wanting to play on a PC a WPU (Wig Processing Unit) is the only way to go.

LOL! Hair Processing Unit...I think that's gonna be in the Rev. ;)

IMO, I just want hair as good as that Luna demo, and I'll be fine. But less than that, hair like what we saw in the KZ demo was nice. I mean, animated and everything. It doesn't have to be long, flowing locks. Just hair is fine by me. PEACE.

Wasn't the Final Fantasy movie mainly a 130 million dollar experiment to produce realistic hair? If so, I think we'll see some amazing looking hair from Square Enix in the next generation. Just imagine Brave Fencer Musashi with every strand of hair individually rendered. amazing

Shark Sandwich said:
Just imagine Brave Fencer Musashi with every strand of hair individually rendered. amazing
I'd prefer a BFM sequel that doesn't play like crap, though.
*Looks at his copy of Samurai Musashi Legends

Shark Sandwich said:
Wasn't the Final Fantasy movie mainly a 130 million dollar experiment to produce realistic hair? If so, I think we'll see some amazing looking hair from Square Enix in the next generation. Just imagine Brave Fencer Musashi with every strand of hair individually rendered. amazing
I wonder how they got that hair in Spirits and I wonder can it be adapted for realtime.

ralexand said:
I wonder how they got that hair in Spirits and I wonder can it be adapted for realtime.
Procedural hair shader. And, no.

ralexand said:

In all seriousness, I remember reading that one of the main goals of the FF movie was to develop new rendering techniques that could possibly be used in future videogames. I really do expect Square's next-gen games to have some of the most realistic hair we've ever seen in a game.

Well, if Square-Enix wasn't joking when they said the FFVII tech demo wasn't fully utilizing the PS3's power... in other words not another FFVIII ballroom... then I think we will see very nice hair. Aerith's hair was really nice looking.

Convincing/very nice looking hair, probably but not in every game.

Realistic hair (Ie, thousands and thousands of individual moving hairs + all sorts of effects such as water, filth,... + manipulatable), not in-game, unless it's a Japanese barber-themed title with not too much going on besides the hair. At least that's what I expect, prove me wrong.

i think realistic looking hair is easily achievable... getting it to move realistically would be harder in my opinion.

Ask and you shall recieve...

TBA 2007 for PS3

Seville no Barber ~Fusafusashita Kami no Rhythm de~

Roughly translates to The Barber of Seville ~To the Rhythm of Flowing Hair~

It's being said to be something like a cross between DDR and cutting hair... I'm guessing something like Yoshinoya.

Were it only true ;p

I'm'a have to say "nope," but that's because I don't think any of the hair models we've seen so far get enough towards "realistic" yet, either.

A damn sight better, though, and that's what counts. ^_^

Back