Will Microsoft restyle the Xbox360 in the near future?

Capeta

Banned
Do you guys think MS will restyle the X360 during its lifetime or do you think it will not change like the original Xbox? Personally I wish they'd restyle it to make it slimmer sleeker and also lose the curves.

Maybe eventually but not anytime soon.

Would be nice to see them integrate the power supply in a totally smaller package..

It's going to be rather difficult though, dont they have to support at least the with of a 2.5" external HDD? As such perhaps they can only shrink in one direction...

65nm with an internal PSU in the current form factor and I am so there..... That power brick can be a pain in the backside.

I would quite like it in black too....

they need to sort their internals out first :mad:

imo 360 looks very sexy as a games console. biconcave shape, absolutely lovin' it!

Last edited by a moderator:
They had a prime opportunity to restyle with the Elite, but they chose not to, so I don't expect any major design changes any time soon.

And yeah, it needs restyling. Next to the minimalist elegance of both the Wii and the PS3, the 360 is rather goofy-looking.

They had a prime opportunity to restyle with the Elite, but they chose not to, so I don't expect any major design changes any time soon.

And yeah, it needs restyling. Next to the minimalist elegance of both the Wii and the PS3, the 360 is rather goofy-looking.

The PS3 is minimalistic? not in my eyes. The Wii is by far the best example of minimalist design.

As for the 360 needing restyling I disagree and it has won an award for it's design:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154382

Do you guys think MS will restyle the X360 during its lifetime or do you think it will not change like the original Xbox? Personally I wish they'd restyle it to make it slimmer sleeker and also lose the curves.

There is no question that microsoft wants to bring the xbox 360 core down to USD$99.99 at some point and will probably do some major re-design at that point. I can easily see a wii-like mini-xbox 360.

Internally we should see gradual changes as they try and reduce manufacturing costs.

I for one like the 360 styling (especially in black). The PS3 is rather an odd duck to me. The finish of the PS3 is nice but it looks like a George Foreman grill.

As stated, they need to get their reliability issues sorted out first.

Which would be a internal redesign. Which at this point would be really easy. The internals of the Xbox 360 show a VERY cheaply done design that has come back and haunted MS because they wouldn't put the money on the original design.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which would be a internal redesign. Which at this point would be really easy. The internals of the Xbox 360 show a VERY cheaply down design that has come back and haunted MS because they wouldn't put the money on the original design.

Ah! good point. I'm quite sure the high rate of failures and the negative press is offsetting those savings. Let's see how well they learn their lesson. It'll be interesting to see if the Fall model, theoretically with 65nm xenos/xenon/edram will see a major redesign to address the issues.

Which would be a internal redesign. Which at this point would be really easy. The internals of the Xbox 360 show a VERY cheaply done design that has come back and haunted MS because they wouldn't put the money on the original design.
yep thats been my impression also, it seems with the xb360 theyre trying a bit to hard to get in the black ( a worthy goal of course ) but shoddy workmanship whilst may save initially $10-30 often ends up to be more expensive, WRT repairs + bad press, im pretty sure theres heaps of ppl that want to buy one for the games but now are hesitant due to its unreliablity

The PS3 is minimalistic? not in my eyes. The Wii is by far the best example of minimalist design.

As for the 360 needing restyling I disagree and it has won an award for it's design:

Well, a black monolith is fairly minimalistic, I'd say. And then there's its UI, which is more austere than either of the other two consoles'.

I really can't stand the 360 case. It sticks out like a sore thumb in my entertainment rack. I think it's a design that a 25-year old tech professional might think is cool, but one that a 35-year old architect or contemporary art major would snicker at.

They gave good design awards to PSP, PSTwo, Nintendo DS Lite, Gameboy Micro the exact same year (2006)

Basically it's not a difficult award to win. There were 10 products awarded just in the "Entertainment and hobby products" category. And actually the "special prize" winner in that category was this harmonica link

Phat: I don't see the PS3 as a black monolith it has a square base, larger elliptical top with a side cut out of it. The PS3 is more of a silhouette of a city. Monolith mean a single massive stone. The machine that most closely resemblesthis is the wii, followed by the 360 and last the PS3.

Inefficient: Just because 10 products in entertainment win an award doesn't make it basically easy to win. What we need to determine is 10 award out of how many contestants. 3 awards out of a pool of 20 is easier than 10 award out of a pool of 1,000.

Regardless, I don't think the PS3 is ugly in matter of fact I think they copied one of my favorite manufacture Bang & Olufsen when they designed the PS3. I love the Wii design I wished that both the PS3 and 360 were that slick and small. I like the 360 design I wish that they had used a different plastic for it and I wish it didn't have a brick.

about redesigning the original Xbox; I read a long time ago in a mag MS's reply to that. they said that redesigning it isn't the problem. the problem is that it would cost money and since Xbox isn't making them profits it wouldn't be worth adding extra losses for something like that. that is basically how they put it.

as for 360, I really want to see a good internal revision. too much problems going in there for me to think about the outer casing.

Back