Will AMD's Mantle revolutionise PC gaming? *spawn

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Cjail, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Scott_Arm

Legend

I want to see how much it helps the low and mid range GCN cards. That's the real win. If a lot more people can suddenly run Battlefield 4 at respectable framerates and graphical settings, it'll be a big selling point.

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Even more exciting is to think what Mantle could conceivably meant for low power Windows laptop/tablet gaming. Perhaps you won't have to have a desktop replacement laptop that gets at best 1-2 hours on battery life for good gaming performance.

In other words, I wonder what this could do for a low power Windows laptop/tablet that gets 8-10 hours of battery life. Obviously lower when gaming, but perhaps gaming will actually become pleasant on such a low power device with something like Mantle.

Regards,
    SB

3. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

I'm not technically minded but I'm wondering if Microsoft is also learning from the combined effort behind the Xbox One.

Maybe they are looking to implement some of that in future operating systems.

This is exciting stuff. More free cpu cycles available to developers could really be an incentive to make games with beefy AI.

4. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

wouldn't amd actually need to get window's tablets out that have gcn hardware ?

5. Jawed

Legend

They already had that opportunity with XB360.

It would have influenced features in D3D10/11, but it's had pretty much zero effect in terms of improving the API by reducing its overheads.

The last hope would appear to be a true break API, if D3D12 threw out everything vaguely fatty and went Mantle style. D3D11 and OpenGL can remain for the devs who are too lazy (prolly only OpenGL, truthfully).

Microsoft can tell NVidia: do this or fuck off. Which IHV has been slowing down D3D since DX8 the most: AMD (ATI) or NVidia. We can have a poll: but, I don't think there's much danger of NVidia losing that.

NVidia has its focus on mobile, making developers in that space happy with proprietary extensions to mobile graphics and writing code for them. Its doing everything it can to own mobile gaming, a second shot at the strategy that failed in PC's gaming space.

If NVidia gives a damn about PC gaming it'll do its own Mantle in a bid to make Microsoft irrelevant in PC gaming.

But I can't help thinking it's distracted by Shield and CUDA. NVidia would prolly rather we had Shield emulators on PC that locked out Microsoft and AMD. Wait, did I say that? Shit I don't want to give them that idea.

There's already a vast number of free CPU cycles :???:

6. Davros

Legend

One problem amd may have is nvidia come out with its own api, do it better, spend a hell of a lot more on devrel maybe even paying devs(cash or work they offered to add physx support to titles for free) also I could imagine nvidia making devs sign exclusive agreements.

7. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Hasn't Nvidia already released their Bindless OpenGL extensions back in 2010 which seems to do much of what Mantle is claiming to do (remove the overhead of draw calls)?

8. liquidboy

Regular Newcomer

VirtualGPU

Lets say hypothetically that the AnanandTech article on "Understanding AMD’s Mantle: A Low-Level Graphics API For GCN" has a correct interpretation of Mantle, seeing as @AMDRadeon twitter account itself recommends it as a read. Maybe not 100% correct, as we'll never get that confirmation.

Now in that article there are 2 interesting comments that I've come across from someone that sounds like they know what they're talking about with regards to "Mantle" . And it meshes with what I've been thinking about with regards to Xbox One..

[note: you may want to go to the comment(s) in the article themselves and read the preceding parent question that resulted in the comments. This may give you more sense of what Jaybus is trying to say]

comment 1:

comment 2:

The whole idea of removing the hardware method calls from the DirectX drivers, and whatever other drivers in user/kernel mode, and leveraging MANTLE api calls makes sense to me.

And if it can be done in a way that's near free of perf (I know theres a cost involved BUT doesn't sound like its much) .. And you get this "compatibility" story and "cross platform pc" play well into the future ...

Sounds like a great thing to have!

9. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

I'm not sure I understand what your point is? He's saying that you could build DX or OGL drivers on top of Mantle rather than a GPU's native instructions. Obviously that's possible, just the way those miniGL drivers for 3Dfx cards were written in Glide, or a Glide wrapper used today is written in DX11 or OGL. If you want to badly enough you can always insert a translation layer, I'm just not seeing a major benefit. The quote from the commenter above mentions the only one I can think of, smoothing over driver development for AMD's future products, but it doesn't make DX or OGL applications faster, nor do I see any relationship to Xbox One.

10. Davros

Legend

Yes, but I can only think of 2 games that use it divinity Dragon Commander and possibly rage (was rage too early)
    oh maybe brink

11. liquidboy

Regular Newcomer

I have a picture in my head of how the Xbox One Software is setup at the OS level (HyperV + GameOS + AppOS) and how its meant to access HW (SoC+other custom silicon) ...

I have an idea of how it all hangs together, it involves a Mantle like vGPU layer plus the Mono(d3d) + other drivers work ...

Regardless I found those comments interesting, others may not!

12. liquidboy

Regular Newcomer

No one ever assumed this ...

13. Dominik D

Regular

That's because you've never written a GPU driver. "Virtual GPUs" is what effectively abstractions on the WDDM level give you. But that comes at a cost which no API is going to cut (because "virtual GPUs" are about sharing resources between many consumers, and this comes at the cost of context store a.k.a. pre-emption, which is used by WDDM drivers today as efficiently as possible).

Also I think people are reading WAAAAY too much into the fact that Radeon retweeted Anand's article. If I were responsible for PR, I'd retweet every piece of positive info about my company, regardless of whether it was entirely correct, or not.

14. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

Didn't check, was Mantle announced for Linux ?
    With SteamOS coming I'm wondering, a cross OS, low level, high performance, developer empowering API would be very welcome...

15. Dominik D

Regular

16. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

Well they said multi-platform no (launching on Windows first)? I took that to mean Windows/Linux/OSX eventually.

17. Dominik D

Regular

Sure, but it wasn't announced for Linux, was it? :)

18. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

Mantle's second supported platform will be BeOS. Then WebOS. Then OS/2. Then FreeBSD. Then Linux.

19. Dominik D

Regular

Right, it's not like Apple could switch to AMD. Also typically when things like these are announced we get the "this is bound to a single platform!" memo as a sign of good PR. ;) Plus: last time I checked announced meant announced, not hinted or suggested.

20. grndzro

Newcomer

The difference is AMD's Mantle has more developer support than Nvidia's after 1 month vs several years. NV will eventually support Mantle IMO. They would be incredibly stupid not to take advantage of AMD's inroads.