Wii Zelda: Unfortunate Reality?

Depends, really.

It's true that the Ocarina of Time formula is starting to have a dejà vu feeling attached to it, but then again I'm not of those who complain when a sequel of a game is really close to the precedent game, I mean, if you want a all brand new gaming experience then you're better off not buying a sequel...

They might try to creat a whole new game system and use the Zelda brand for marketing reason. It might create some ruckus in the Zelda fan community if the game differs too much from the old formula, though. Especially if no other "classic" Zelda were to ever be produce.

In a perfect world, a completely new game would have an original background, story and characters, but given that the real world is far from perfect, often new game designs are using known IPs (Character/brand/background story) because of the market pull this IPs have.

Nintendo, amongst others, is known for that type of practice with game such as Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Strikers, Mario Party, Mario Paint, etc... Which are all different games but have as a common point to use the Mario IP, which is a known brand in the videogame market.

Also worthy of note, some may argue that with the transition from 2D to 3D the canonical 2D formula of Zelda and Mario were changed, while remaining true to the original ideas behind the 2D gameplay.

Not to forget that the Zelda serie already had a few departure like Zelda 2, which was a 2D side scrolling adventure game, with random battles occuring on the overworld and most importantly RPG stats.
And how can we forget the Zelda CDi games?

Nah, I'm kidding, we can easily forget about thoses. :LOL:

though i can see the reasons for the author's complains, in practice he's essentially losing just one thing from the best possible scenario combining the pro's of both versions - he won't be able to play wide-screen with the classic controller. otherwise he can always buy the GC version and play it on the wii with a classic GC controller. so if we consider he's not really caring about the wide-screen version as he says, he's perfectly set with zelda:TTP the way he expects it to be released.

though i can see the reasons for the author's complains, in practice he's essentially losing just one thing from the best possible scenario combining the pro's of both versions - he won't be able to play wide-screen with the classic controller. otherwise he can always buy the GC version and play it on the wii with a classic GC controller. so if we consider he's not really caring about the wide-screen version as he says, he's perfectly set with zelda:TTP the way he expects it to be released.
it's more about classic gameplay vs. new product.

I am also skeptical of the Wiimotes ability to effectively emulate current controller functions without feeling cumbersome or gimmicky. If fishing works just fine by moving the analogue stick back and forth then what does the Wiimote add that makes this task any more intuitive for the player? In games that are designed for the Wii I am sure the controller will prove its worth, but short of completely overhauling the control interface or rewriting the action / RPG / stealth game genere I do not see what the Wiimote has to offer in terms of improved functionality.

I am also skeptical of the Wiimotes ability to effectively emulate current controller functions without feeling cumbersome or gimmicky. If fishing works just fine by moving the analogue stick back and forth then what does the Wiimote add that makes this task any more intuitive for the player? In games that are designed for the Wii I am sure the controller will prove its worth, but short of completely overhauling the control interface or rewriting the action / RPG / stealth game genere I do not see what the Wiimote has to offer in terms of improved functionality.
I agree that Zelda should be changed since they simply don't have the system to have classic 3D zelda gameplay be the main type. But does Nintendo have the creativity to consistently change all their games to this new type of controller and make the games balanced but not straightforward, cause that can't be easy?

This will be my final Zelda, then. Given the system the next game(s) will be on... wow... this is the worst news I've heard in awhile.

Can't believe they're going to ruin one of the all-time best game franchises to promote their gimmick.

I really hope I'm wrong/misunderstanding.

This will be my final Zelda, then. Given the system the next game(s) will be on... wow... this is the worst news I've heard in awhile.
Can't believe they're going to ruin one of the all-time best game franchises to promote their gimmick.
I really hope I'm wrong/misunderstanding.
I'd give them a chance. Zelda games usually aren't factory-made, gimmick-riddled, bore-a-thons.

"Twilight Princess will be, without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form."-Shigeru Miyamoto
If I read the n-sider article correctly then Miyamoto made the statement when TP was GC-only game, long before the Wii Version and he probably meant that TP was the last Zelda game using a conventional controller and future Zelda games will take advantage of the Wiimote. Now that TP will come to the Wii the statement is obsolete. Nothing to see here people, move on.

If I read the n-sider article correctly then Miyamoto made the statement when TP was GC-only game, long before the Wii Version and he probably meant that TP was the last Zelda game using a conventional controller and future Zelda games will take advantage of the Wiimote. Now that TP will come to the Wii the statement is obsolete. Nothing to see here people, move on.
I...knew...that. My point is what will they do now for their fans? They still make games, right?
/sarcasm

oh, please. this reminds me of the Cel-da debates. We have NO IDEA how the franchise will turn out, so how can we draw conclusions yet? Y'all Zelda die-hards must be bored. ;)

I figure they'll come up with something good. The recent Zeldas were far better than the old Zeldas (although they all have their rather annoying moments), and simply because some buttons will get moved around or replaced with wiimote jiggles, why panic? I remember thinking the N64 controller was a clunky piece of garbage until OoT came out... it was as if they'd created the controller specifically for Zelda. ^^;

Back