Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I've been on vacation, just now back home. I've been out of the loop regarding Wii U and I too would like to know if there's been any information/news on the GPU.

Last thing regarding Wuu ANYthing I read on the web was that rumors are circulating the release date will be postponed in europe, due to "manufacturing difficulties". The technology-stuffed pad was blamed for this in the rumors. *shrug* Who knows if it's true or not.

It will most likely get delayed until 2013 not just in Europe but also in North America.
What makes you think/say that? Not that I've got reason to mistrust your rumors (more than any other rumor! :)), I'm just curious...

That's me being a negative nancy and not getting my hopes up. It's no rumor either, just me making a statement so I can be pleasantly surprised if the thing is launched this year.

How incredibly sad. I hope in August 2013 we arent sitting here with no idea whats in Durango/Orbis, right?

Although I guess, we do have the e3 games (in both cases), which so far dont bode very well for Wii U specs...

It will most likely get delayed until 2013 not just in Europe but also in North America.

While I would still bet on a 2012 Wii U release in North America, It would not stun me. The whole thing just adds to the troubled air of the Wii U project. As for rumors, I imagine you are aware there are rumors they are having trouble manufacturing not the console but the gamepad.

How could they have problems making the controller? It should be less complicated than a tablet/phone and I never heard of anybody having problems with manufacturing those.

Who knows. Given the wireless nature and so forth it would seem complex to me.http://www.computerandvideogames.co...te-delayed-to-december-across-europe-sources/
It's no more complex than a £50 cheap Chinese Android tablet. There's nothing complex about the design that means a typical production run can't churn the things out. Robots assemble the circuit board, it's put in the case, wired up to the screen, with controls in the right order, and then screwed together. They may have hit problems with component sourcing or something, but it can't be complexity of the controller that's slowing things up.

It looked fine at GamesCom. I can only imagine the WiFi screen display being lag-free involving some interesting tech. Even so manufacturing anything anywhere involving setting ip a manufacturing plant can go wrong in a variety of ways ...

Whatever the wireless performance needs, it's just a chip on a mobo and an antenna in the casing. Although rereading the article, they don't say it's due to the controller's complexity. They only say it's complex, which means there are more variables to get snagged on, such as sourcing parts.

It's no more complex than a £50 cheap Chinese Android tablet. There's nothing complex about the design that means a typical production run can't churn the things out. Robots assemble the circuit board, it's put in the case, wired up to the screen, with controls in the right order, and then screwed together. They may have hit problems with component sourcing or something, but it can't be complexity of the controller that's slowing things up.

Yes most of it would seem to be in any typical modern smartphone (though to be fair, those phones might be a lot more expensive mostly)

So any recent info on the GPU/CPU Wii-U is using or are the sources still quite weak?

Cheers,
Nano

It is a bit surprising because WiiU devkits are quite well distributed now and most everyone has them.

If I were to contribute something it would be I think the reason why much hasn't come out is that... there isn't much to come out. Think of the Wii GPU relative to the Gamecube, not much to say there really, but this time it's the WiiU relative to the 360.

Don't expect any crazy surprises. The real surprise will be it's exactly what you expected.

It is a bit surprising because WiiU devkits are quite well distributed now and most everyone has them.

If I were to contribute something it would be I think the reason why much hasn't come out is that... there isn't much to come out. Think of the Wii GPU relative to the Gamecube, not much to say there really, but this time it's the WiiU relative to the 360.

Don't expect any crazy surprises. The real surprise will be it's exactly what you expected.

Am I misinterpreting or is this guy saying the Wii U uses an descendant of Xenos for GPU???

Wouldn't that be off limits for MS holding the patents?

Could explain a lot though, including why we cant explain the seemingly poor performance.

If it's truly Wii:GC=WiiU:360, then that interpreted strictly would mean a 750 mhz Xenos.

Am I misinterpreting or is this guy saying the Wii U uses an descendant of Xenos for GPU???

Could explain a lot though, including why we cant explain the seemingly poor performance.

We can't? I thought the explanation was perfectly clear -- the extremely tiny enclosure and 70 watt MAX PSU explains it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back