Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would wager it is about input latency. They want a minimum framerate of 60 and can't quite get there @ 1920x1080. Still...

Yeah that sounds like 1080p is pushing things more than they like. On the other hand it sounds like 720p will be a likely minimum which is better than PS360.

What kind of garbage is that?

I can just imagine telling PC gamers their higher than console resolutions are useless...

What does PC gaming on monitors have to do with console gaming on the family TV?

And if you plan to buy the WiiU, you plan not to buy games that are not 1080p?
Because thats the direction many developers will be taking next gen.

By the way:

Splinter Cell: Blacklist director Patrick Redding said the industry is moving away from the high budget blockbuster model.

This is where Nintendo has positioned the WiiU.
If MS and Sony are going bleeding edge, while
most developers are not going to put the work to make use of
all that horsepower, MS and Sony will have taken the wrong approach.

But from what Sony recently said, and the new rumors about MS, I definitely
think they are taking the Nintendo approach. They'll make the consoles
slightly more powerful than the WiiU in the eyes of fans, but in reality, the power will go unused.

I can just imagine telling PC gamers their higher than console resolutions are useless...
PC art assets are usually higher-res than on consoles, so you get more mileage out of a higher screen resolution. Without better textures, there's definite diminishing returns to keep bumping up the rez.

As somebody who has been playing PC games on 1360x768 TVs for years I can say it is fine and yeah it isn't that big of a loss compared to 1080p. But I usually throw on 4xMSAA or SSAA. Aliasing is more apparent at lower resolutions. Maybe they will use MSAA.

slightly more powerful than the WiiU in the eyes of fans, but in reality, the power will go unused.

Umm, I can't comment on Sony, since all we know is Orbis is based on a Trinity style APU (but we don't know whether it will have a discrete GPU or not) so perhaps it'll be a slightly more powerful than the Wii U. (though even an A8 APU should still be significantly more powerful than the Wii U).

But the 720 is definitely an order of magnitude step up on the 360, it has at least a 2TF GPU, wheras the Wii U's is something like 0.5 GFLOPs.

Tell me a graphicwore, but I note more 720 to 1080 in games than in video (films and series) in my monitor 23" and in my TV 42", both 1920x1080 :rolleyes:.

What does PC gaming on monitors have to do with console gaming on the family TV?

And if you plan to buy the WiiU, you plan not to buy games that are not 1080p?
Because thats the direction many developers will be taking next gen.

By the way:

This is where Nintendo has positioned the WiiU.
If MS and Sony are going bleeding edge, while
most developers are not going to put the work to make use of
all that horsepower, MS and Sony will have taken the wrong approach.

I think thats what Nintendo was banking on from the start. Whether it happens or not is still unclear.

The main problem with this approach is a huge chunk of gamers will be swayed by the mere fact that a console is, on paper, more powerful than the WiiU. "It has higher numbers of 'x' or more of 'y'! Must be better and more value for my money!!" And once that frame of mind is set in, its very hard to change.

I've just been flicking through the latest GamesMaster (dont judge me.... its the issue with the first NSMBU and NintendoLand reviews!) and they have quite a large peice on all things WiiU. They're quite open about saying things like "Its 99% certain that the next PS/XBox will humiliate the WiiU". To be fair they follow this up by saying "does it matter?" but I'm betting that first part of the sentence is all most of their readership will absorb.

Therein lies the WiiUs problem: Its going to be a hard sell. Even if what you're saying is right MDX and the extra power of other 'next gen' console doesn't actually matter that much in reality; the perception will be there that it does and it will be difficult for Nintendo to fend off those claims.

Umm, I can't comment on Sony, since all we know is Orbis is based on a Trinity style APU (but we don't know whether it will have a discrete GPU or not) so perhaps it'll be a slightly more powerful than the Wii U. (though even an A8 APU should still be significantly more powerful than the Wii U).

But the 720 is definitely an order of magnitude step up on the 360, it has at least a 2TF GPU, wheras the Wii U's is something like 0.5 GFLOPs.

Thats kinda what he's saying I think. On paper, 2TFLOP sounds awesome and is oviously going to give developers more to play with (alot more) but it actually isn't that simple or straightforward. You can get 1TFLOP GPUs which outperform 2TFLOP GPUs in real worlds use etc etc so its not like FLOP counts are a direct indication of graphical capability. I'm not implying the WiiU GPU (GPU7) will be anywhere close to the Durango GPU. It won't. Just that the difference on paper will fare outweigh the actual real world difference, whatever that may be.

And thats all that will matter to a large amount of consumers/commentators.

Better yet, there is no solid information about any part of their online gaming system. I'll be surprised if it's even on par with what Sony/MS had back in 2006.

I saw the Nintendo Direct from japan a few minutes ago. The Nintendo Online System make XBLA and PSN look outdated.

I saw the Nintendo Direct from japan a few minutes ago. The Nintendo Online System make XBLA and PSN look outdated.
Please explain in greater detail otherwise you sound like a troll. What features as it added or improved upon?

Found this:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/nintendo_direct_watch_the_japanese_wii_u_presentation_live

Haven't read anything outstanding regards the network service. They only mention a few unique features like video chat on the tablet (how does that work with games that use the tablet for the game?? I don't understand Wii U!) and drawing on it while you chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back