Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
IBM has moved to 32 nm with their new Power7+:

Im wondering, has there been confirmation recently that the WiiU CPU is still at 45nm? Would it have been too late, or even worth it to have moved to 32 nm since their 45nm announcement? Here is something:

As I recall some rumors that the WiiU CPU doesn't do much multi-threading, is that because the CPU is fed with a large enough cache?

Thats a very good find, imo. There are a lot of things coming out of the woodwork which are starting to click into place. Nintendo using a placeholder GPU as recently as 2011, right before they would have been able to get their hands on some of the tech going into the e6760 (coincidence, maybe. but very nicely timed nonetheless) and some details about the cpu. This is another one where it would make sense for them to ahve used a die shrink (or been relying on one). Remember we are likely finding out that IBM has shifted to 32nm a little while after the fact. These things dont necessarily come out in th eopen straight away.

What does 'based' mean? They've also stated outright that it's the same POWER7 chip used in Watson, which it isn't. POWER7 is a 200W chip as far as I can find. How do you get that down to something that'll fit in a 45 W console where the majority of the power budget is spent on the GPU?

With lots of conflicting information, people need to find the resolution of best fit. Which is that it isn't POWER7 but some low-powered PPC, Xenon/Broadway concept. Xenon without the massive vector units but with OoOE.

The quote from twitter (that bastion of truth!) said "same power 7 chips". Now to me, this was never implying its a power 7 processer. It could simpoy refer to it usinf a power 7 core (or two, or three). And considering we know P7 doesn't naturally have a 3-core derivative, this isnt too far fetched.

Again, you have to dow some selective reasoning and educated guessing, but BG and others now have mentioned the possibility of the CPU having assymetrical cores. My current guess is its got two 'beefed-up broadways' and a p7-esque main core. This fits in with everything we've heard so far, and doesnt sound too un-nintendo like to me :)

Cant seem to edit my above post. But just read that the 32nm dies shrink was primarily to accomodate their new Power7+. Which is a veritable behemoth by the sounds of it.

The quote from twitter (that bastion of truth!) said "same power 7 chips". Now to me, this was never implying its a power 7 processer.
They made two different comments. One was same POWER7 tech. The other was same POWER7 chips. The chips is pretty explicit. That means the same silicon on the same package as used in Watson. Clearly that's not true, and one has to engage in some notable language-bending to contrive that statement as more generic like their POWER7 tech tweet.

Again, you have to dow some selective reasoning and educated guessing, but BG and others now have mentioned the possibility of the CPU having assymetrical cores.
:oops: They have?? So 3 PowerPC cores is now meaning two Broadway's and a POWER7.

Why?

Why put a POWER7 in there? It's a chip architected for massive data workloads. It has 4 MBs eDRAM per core, so how does that fit in with the eDRAM? 4 MBs for the core and 28 MBs for the GPU? If they're going with a custom core based on POWER7 but not a carbon copy of their existing P7 core, why not just include Broadway BC in the chip for Wii BC and use three copies of the same custom core and make life easier for your developers?

They made two different comments. One was same POWER7 tech. The other was same POWER7 chips. The chips is pretty explicit. That means the same silicon on the same package as used in Watson. Clearly that's not true, and one has to engage in some notable language-bending to contrive that statement as more generic like their POWER7 tech tweet.

:oops: They have?? So 3 PowerPC cores is now meaning two Broadway's and a POWER7.

Why?

Why put a POWER7 in there? It's a chip architected for massive data workloads. It has 4 MBs eDRAM per core, so how does that fit in with the eDRAM? 4 MBs for the core and 28 MBs for the GPU? If they're going with a custom core based on POWER7 but not a carbon copy of their existing P7 core, why not just include Broadway BC in the chip for Wii BC and use three copies of the same custom core and make life easier for your developers?

I dont think its a power7 at all and I didnt say that. I just think they might use on main core which will have been derived from p7 chips (much lower clock etc) hence IBM and others even mentioned the power 7 as having anything to do with WiiU. Its the only way that makes sense. Theres no way it has an actual power7 in it and there's pretty much no way Nintendo got them to make a 3 core low clocked version of a power 7 either. I dont think the words "Power" and "7" would have ever been mentioned if there wasn't a link there, however.

I just think its possible nintendo went with one more capable core, which maybe borrows from Power 7, and two smaller less capable cores. That way they retain easy backwards compatibility with Wii also.

(PS, i wasnt saying that BG had said this was for sure or anything like that. He might just have been a spitballing - I was just saying that having read that, I thought it sounded plausible.)

I don't know whether BG actually said anything like that but the last I heard about the WiiU, was that its CPU was a symmetrical 3-core chip. "Enhanced broadways" was an expression used by Expresso on this same forum.

Why some would cling to sourceless rumours about asymmetrical chips including a very high performance core and two broadways, when the earlier rumours stipulated that devs were having issues because of a "weak CPU" (compared to Xenon and CELL), is beyond me.

Maybe the POWER7 core has been locked by Nintendo so they can unlock the extra core and GB of RAM once PS4 and Xbox360 release :D
(hint: I'm being faceteous)

I dont think its a power7 at all and I didnt say that.
My post covered two possibilities - if it's a P7 core, or if it's a derived core.

I just think they might use on main core which will have been derived from p7 chips (much lower clock etc) hence IBM and others even mentioned the power 7 as having anything to do with WiiU. Its the only way that makes sense.
But that doesn't fit with the rumours such as EG's Wii U article that claim it's a tricore PPC. And if Nintendo are going to create a custom part, why not make it Broadway compatible and use three of them. An asymmetric core makes little sense when you're dealing with custom parts.

I don't know whether BG actually said anything like that but the last I heard about the WiiU, was that its CPU was a symmetrical 3-core chip. "Enhanced broadways" was an expression used by Expresso on this same forum.
The caches already make the cores asymmetrical, as one has more cache than the other 2.

"Enhanced broadways" could mean absolutely anything that can run the same code, it isn't as specific as IBM saying there's Power7

Apologies if old.:smile:

ibm says wii u is a customised power 7 chip.

link

The poor PR person that is maintaining this account knows it all.

Im going to predict Wii U uses less than 40w on dashboard and about 50wish in most games. That will leave around 15-20w to GPU. Wii U has decoders/encoders and wireless stuff consuming energy other consoles dont

People are trying so hard (not on here) to this console offf as a ture next fen powerhouse.

Any indication how much the tablet taxes the system and how wildly that can vary depending of content?

I wonder how much developers will struggle with balancing works loads onto two devices simultaneously.

My post covered two possibilities - if it's a P7 core, or if it's a derived core.

But that doesn't fit with the rumours such as EG's Wii U article that claim it's a tricore PPC. And if Nintendo are going to create a custom part, why not make it Broadway compatible and use three of them. An asymmetric core makes little sense when you're dealing with custom parts.

Ah I see, my mistake I misread i think. It may well be very outdated speculation i'm referring to then :) You're right, looking back all recent 'evidence' suggests nothing about differing cores. (**dont drag BG down with me - It must have been ages ago and I just haven't caught up with the latest rumors!!)

We're still stuck at square one though. What's it got to do with power 7 if its still related to broadway? Is that possible? is it possible for it to still be called broadway if its capable of OoOE and is clocked above 1Ghz? Im struggling to see a solution where everything we've heard clicks together.

What bothers me most about the "enhanced broadway" comment was that the source claimed it was taken from warioworld (nintendo's developer portal). Now, would nintnedo refer to their own hardwar as "enhanced broadway" in a scenario where they're providing the info to developers? What use would that be to them?

I'm inclined to beleive that whoever wrote that was making a presumption based on the performance they were getting from the dev-kit. Which tells us nothign at this point, other than its probably not too similar to current gen consoles.

I don't think that the power7 is only intended at massive data workloads. IBM only use it (used it) in high end server configuration but I don't see why the CPU could not be used in lesser set-up.
It's a bit like Intel late design server parts come with significantly more cache whereas core i3 only have 3MB.
I think that the power7 might compare more favorably to Intel offering than AMD parts. In its server form there are I don't remember how many memory controllers, quiet some cores running @ really high speed but I don't think that if the whole thing were to be tone down it would be worse than AMD CPU. Actually IBM (in their power a2 presentation) claimed that Edram has positive effect on power consumption.

As others here discarded the possibility revamped power7, but as IBM it self, be it through a marketing account insists on it, I've to say that now I doubt even though it doesn't align at all with many things that transpire in the media.

I just re-read some stuff about the Power7 it's indeed a monster (here or here)
In the second link I discovered that the Power7 have indeed 2 4wide SIMD units. The things pushes 8 DP FLOPS per cycle and I guess 16 SP FLOPS per cycle, as much as Intel late architecture (Haswel is pushing FP performances further though).

Even at pretty low clock I can't see the thing lacking muscles vs something like Xenon, even at half speed. I'm not sure it would be wise to touch such power house to the sake of winning a hand few sq.mm of silicon.

If it's that I think the numbers we have for the cache are not correct or misinterpreted.

I've really a hard time with "tripled confirmed" information. My logic begs me to reject that information as it doesn't match what I've seen and read so far.

If that thru there is definitely something wrong somewhere. I mean it would take terrible devs kits and development environment for some devs to come out of the wood and state the CPU is weak.
Either way it is FUD sponsored by competitors but why in hell would Nintendo not react to such claims? I don't know I fail to understand.

A power7 core must be somewhere between 25 and 30 sq.mm, 3 of them say 2/3 MB of L3 and a memory controller would be around 100 sq.mm at max.
It's a significant investment in silicon, I can't see if that true Nintendo using a GPU as sucky as I think they did. It would not make sense.

If this is true BgAssassin's source claiming a raw throughput of 500/600 MFLOPS for the GPU would make sense. I would expect Nintendo to spend at least as much silicon on the GPU as on the CPU. That's kind of throughput is reasonable for a 100 sq.mm or more

Then there is the edram, another significant investment in silicon.

All this to me doesn't add up, that has nothing to do with a gimped hardware and the games I've seen this far. This could be a system that could indeed end in between this gen and the next one.

I could see such a thing mimicking the 360 with pretty much the gpu acting as a north bridge for the CPU, and edram including the ROPs. AMD would have improved the link between the smart edram and and GPU so the later can read from it.

The all thing is again, if that is the case why the FUD in the media? Why no reaction from Nintendo? Why the games so far look pretty underwhelming (with no AA)?

If this power7 is true it's definitely a hint that the system is not gimped so to speak. There might something rotten in the land of Denmark.

It would take a really dreadful and immature environment to justify what we are seeing from now.
May be there is something completely in the way Nintendo present the system ot the devs? A crazy thick layer of I don't know what. I mean like Nintendo enforcing the use of an wii emulator as an API lol.
I state that as a joke (actually some games looks like a Wii emulator) but on the other hand imagine poor Nintendo with on its hands a CPU that supports, 3, 6, 12 threads, a modern GPU supporting advanced programmable shaders.

One could wonder with all the noise we heard about the project and how it seems to have been finalized pretty late, the trouble they had with the pad, etc. if Nintendo is ready at all on the software side of thing.
All the dissonances we hear could be a proof of that:
1GB of ram untouched for now?
Support for a second controller but not for now?
What about the network infrastructure?

I mean could it be that Nintendo kind of jump on the gun on the hardware (+300 sq.mm of silicon, 2 GB of ram, lots of processing power), coming from systems with tenth of MB of ram (actually the 3DS has more than that) and is kind of overwhelmed by the effort to be done on the software to make the most out of this? I they have to build a lot and from scratch. (they may for example not support multi threading for now).

Either way I'm in darkness too much contradictory information for me to swallow just now. What I can tell is if that so Nintendo should give up on retaining information about the hardware, to say it is counter productive is an understatement...

a video encoder DSP is often found on cell phone chips so encoding is significant but low use of power. as for the radio, we've been told nothing. I beileve I read there's bluetooth, but bluetooth is low bandwith. I have a new theory, it could be 60GHz. short-range, single room networking, very wide unused and unlicensed spectrum, and could be quite low power - modern wifi 5.5GHz doesn't use a lot of power either.

The caches already make the cores asymmetrical, as one has more cache than the other 2.

"Enhanced broadways" could mean absolutely anything that can run the same code, it isn't as specific as IBM saying there's Power7

Is there a reliable source for this? I hadn't heard this at all.

Seems strange though. Why have two different core types unless you're trying to gun for a broad performance profile like CELL, i.e. conventional CPU-like core for CPU workloads, and large vector engine (like the SPEs)? If the rumours of poor CPU vector performance are true (and I believe them to be so), then what else could be the point of having an asymmetrical CPU with out the SIMD grunt.

Seems strange though. Why have two different core types unless you're trying to gun for a broad performance profile like CELL, i.e. conventional CPU-like core for CPU workloads, and large vector engine (like the SPEs)? If the rumours of poor CPU vector performance are true (and I believe them to be so), then what else could be the point of having an asymmetrical CPU with out the SIMD grunt.

It was from VGLeaks, thats claimed to be the early dev-kit specs (think it was confirmed as legit by a few, although someone might be able to confirm/deny that. I seem to recall someone picking out the "write gatherer per core" bit as dodgy, as thats something from Gamecube spec sheet (or somthing along those lines)

Under the heading "Main Applications Processor"

It claimed:

PowerPC architecture.
Three cores (fully coherent).
3MB aggregate L2 Cache size.
core 0: 512 KB
core 1: 2048 KB
core 2: 512 KB
Write gatherer per core.
Locked (L1d) cache DMA per core

Last rumor I heard was 3MB L2, which people inexplicably said was split with 2MB for the "fat" core and 512KB for the other 2. Seems to me like 1MB each makes more sense, but I'm not a secret keeper.

Cant seem to edit my above post. But just read that the 32nm dies shrink was primarily to accomodate their new Power7+. Which is a veritable behemoth by the sounds of it.

From what I've been able to find, Power7+ is the same size as the 45nm edition (even pin/socket compatible), which is to say 567mm^2. When you're looking at a 500+mm^2 design, the only way forwards in performance really is the next node.

Regardless, 32nm has been ramping up over this year, but that doesn't mean it's anywhere near the fab capacity of 45nm nor is its cost going to be comparable. 45nm production is also very mature right now, so their yields ought to be quite good.

What's it got to do with power 7 if its still related to broadway? Is that possible? is it possible for it to still be called broadway if its capable of OoOE and is clocked above 1Ghz? Im struggling to see a solution where everything we've heard clicks together.

Could be anything from just the 45nm SOI process including the eDRAM fab steps or updated SIMD (VSX)/expanded instruction sets or other (multicore communication, DDR3 mem controller) - superficial. Binary compatible, but with changes that fall in line with designing for 45nm process - the transistors/pipelines are going to be very different from 90nm anyway.

How much affect the console power, if Wii U has a Power7 CPU?

What "Same SOI design" mean? Can the Wii U' CPU be "weak" even if based on Power7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back