Wii Love you long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATI-liens

Newcomer
Oh no not another one" this is just a roundup of what is known and calculated estimations as well as obvious ones.

Only bold writing is Wii facts

Broadway

The Wii uses a customized 90nm PowerPC "5" @ 729Mhz

The Game Cube uses a customized 180nm PowerPC "4" 750cxs @ 485mhz.

The lowest performing PowerPC 5's "if" at 90nm@729Mhz would be close to double the MIPS performance of the Gekko.

There has been a few sources claiming the Wii uses a PowerPC 970GX.........."If" true:

Gekko = 1125 MIPS i Broadway = 2300 MIPS){Not accurate). Broadway is at least 2X Gekko performance.

Hollywood

Assuming Nintendo used the same but faster GPU for the Hollywood as the Flipper:

Flipper = 180nm @ 162Mhz , Hollywood = 90nm @ 243Mhz2 (90nm not 0.18 micron )

Using the same conversion used with the CPU comparison, the GPU would be exactly 2X the performance of the NGC's. Hollywood is at least 2X Flipper Personally i think the Wii uses a more powerful or advanced GPU.

[/B]Flipper Embedded Memory = 10.4 GB/s (Assuming same configuration as the NGC), Hollywood = about 98BG/s) (X360's = 278.4) (PS3 = 48GB/s)

NGC
24MB of 1T-Sram @ 2.7GB/a @10ns max, 16MB Dram @ 0.81GB/s
Wii
24MB of 1T-Sram 24.6 GB/s @6ns max, 64MB GDDR @ 3.2GB/s

On average the Wii's memory is 6.5 times the speed of the Game cubes

The Game Cube had a very similar "in game" polygon performance to the Xbox. People still compare Halo 30fps to Luigis Mansion 60fps.

Polygon performance of the NGC: Minimum GPU specs of the Wii ( Most likely twice of this).

1 vertex color + 1 light + 1 texture 20M polygons/sec (32 mil Max)

Nintendo claimed 6 to 9 Mil in games. That is 100,000 to 150,000 @60fps..................(Although Star Wars Rogue Squadron on Game Cube used over 200,000 in a scene @60fps)

Xbox Website Mistake
This is slightly off topic but this is funny what i got off the Xbox official website:

"The Xbox can draw 2.1 million polygons onto the screen per second. Steven Spielberg employed 300,000 polygons in the construction of each velociraptor in Jurassic Park. Back in 1993, each frame of film took hours to render. Today, the Xbox has the power to send a fat handful of raptors roaring across your screen, in real time."

The Xbox official peak triangle performance is 30 Mil (NGC 32 Mil).

So what am i getting at? why all the stupid talk?

There are many of us who believe the Wii is 1.5 times the NGC. This is impossible.

We know know The Wii is realistically "at least" 2 times the power of the NGC and Xbox and "at least" 2 and a half times the power of the PS2 ,

We are looking ata minimum of 150,000 (heavy effects) - 300,000 (Ave effects) triangles on screen in real 60fps games play.

That is 9 Mil to 18 Mil during game play and 64 mil during sex...got ya! i mean as a peak.

Now it is no longer fair to compare the Wii to the old school consoles. what about the other two.

Wii 24MB 1T-Sram = 6ns @24.5 GB/s
PS3 256MB XDR = 35ns @25.6 B/s

Due to efficiency The Wii has little but the fastest memory out of the three consoles, which has it's advantages.

X360 = 12X DVD ( Max = 16MB/s) ( Average = 12MB/s)
PS3 = 9X equivalen (Max = 12MB/s) (, Average sustained speed = about 8MB/s)
Wii = 6X DVD (Max 8MB/s) (Average = 6Mb/s)

In comparison to system memory, the Wii has the fastest drive for loading media.

Due to lack of HD, the Wii doesn't require media as big as Blueray. It's graphic resources requires less then half the media space of an equivalent PS3 game.

Polygon performance

(This is not accurate but not far off) Using the reverse rule of the Xbox and PS2's over hyped polygon specs, the PS3 and X360 can push:

X360 = 119 Million triangles per second Peak,
PS3 = 119 Million triangles per second Peak,
Wii = At least 60 Million

Overall the Wii can keep on par with the PS3 and X360 if they make more 30fps games and take time in utilizing the 1T'sram's texture compression performance.

And.

The 1T-Sram is ideal for the "So called" patent Nintendo has for Indirect Texturing. Indirect texturing .
I think this will only be used on Nintendo games because the method can be applied to any hardware if in other hands.

The Wii is a weaker console then the X360 and PS3 but the hardware was customized to bring more to the table then it's worth.

I think it's fair to compare the Wii with the PS3 and X360 graphically despite the crappy looking games on the Wii.

I seriously doubt Wii can push 60 million triangles/sec in a game.

I'm thinking around 25... 30 tops.

I seriously doubt Wii can push 60 million triangles/sec in a game.

I'm thinking around 25... 30 tops.

60 mil is the peak. the X360 would struggle to push 30 mil in game play.

Gameplay for the Wii (according to the thread) is 9 -18Mil

Gameplay for the X360 would be about 20 - 30 Mil.

Games today use so many effects that reduce polygon performance (18 mil is not twice of NGC's 12Mil).

60 mil is the peak. the X360 would struggle to push 30 mil in game play.

Gameplay for the Wii (according to the thread) is 9 -18Mil

Gameplay for the X360 would be about 20 - 30 Mil.

Games today use so many effects that reduce polygon performance (18 mil is not twice of NGC's 12Mil).

Do you realise that there is devs on other threads talking about 120Mp/s on 360/PS3?

Do you realise that there is devs on other threads talking about 120Mp/s on 360/PS3?

Everything not highlighted is not accurate more of estimates (not random guess).

Maby it can do more i guess it's according to how effects are used. But i would like to see what they say!

I've never seen any mention of 1 or 2 million polygons on screen on the X360 or PS3.

I've never really seen a game "except for GOW" that makes me question if it can.

Who knows!

An efficeint use of the Wii hardware and the speed of the memory and no HD support would put Wii graphics close to that of 360 titles but I woulnd't say on par. There will be games on Wii that can be mistaken for 360 games but the same exact game on the 360 should and probably always will look better.

The unfified shader is what really separates the 360 from the Wii. As far as polygon counts go, there is not a huge difference between the Wii and 360. Wii can probably do around 75% of the 360's real time poly count. We need some glfops numbers for the Wii, then we will really know what's under the hood.

But the thing is... even when we find out those numbers it's going to seem really low because Nintendo gives real time numbers and Sony gives theorectical. For instance, they calim the ps3 can do 1.8 terflops but actaully under real time double precision that number is only around 26 glfops. The Gc did 10.5 gflops.

The unfified shader is what really separates the 360 from the Wii.

But the thing is... even when we find out those numbers it's going to seem really low because Nintendo gives real time numbers and Sony gives theorectical. For instance, they calim the ps3 can do 1.8 terflops but actaully under real time double precision that number is only around 26 glfops. The Gc did 10.5 gflops.

I don't think we know if the Wii has a unified shader or not, but i did made non unified assumptions from the flipper just to be safe.

Yes the 1.8 teraflops i think it's a joke seriously.

taking in the fact that each SPE can't do 32bit SIMD integers and the longer method eats up all the over hyped specs.

All 7 amazing hyped up SPE's fully optimized fully utilized togeather has a rough "vector" performance of about 30 - 40 GFLOPS which is not 1.8Tera but still very good

The Wii is most likely around 15 GFLOPS

I don't think we know if the Wii has a unified shader or not, but i did made non unified assumptions from the flipper just to be safe.

taking in the fact that each SPE can't do 32bit SIMD integers and the longer method eats up all the over hyped specs. The PPE is a PowerPC 970, just like the Wii.

The Cell:
All 7 amazing hyped up SPE's and PPE fully optimized fully utilized togeather has a rough "vector" performance of about 30 - 40 GFLOPS which is not 1.8Tera but still very good

About 25 for games using 1 SPE.

taking in the fact that each SPE can't do 32bit SIMD integers and the longer method eats up all the over hyped specs.

All 7 amazing hyped up SPE's fully optimized fully utilized togeather has a rough "vector" performance of about 30 - 40 GFLOPS which is not 1.8Tera but still very good

I think you are hillarious. But check out the Capcom engine "Framework" thread. Dead rising pushed something like 4.5M polys/frame. Lost planet maxed at 2.5 + x number M of particles / frame (each particle is 1 poly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back