Wii and Halogen lights plus other minor tidbits

Ty

Roberta E. Lee
Veteran
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/halogen-lights-confuse-wiimote-says-nintendo-rep-175891.php

There is concern about stores using halogen lighting. Tons of halogen spotlights scattered about may give everything a much warmer and more ambient feel. However, this particular type of lighting can throw off the aiming of the Wii controller when the lights are angled down through the path of the signal. So for people with halogen track-lighting in front of the TV, this could be a problem.

Wonder if this is true.

Sure halogens can probably cross over the same IR band, but that emission would be consistent rather than being some digital data transmission. I also doubt that the emissions of a 60-75W halogen bulb in a single tiny frequency band is really all that massive enough to significantly mask out the remote.

From all that we know, the signal goes FROM the sensor bar TO the wiimote, which would mean the halogen light would have to pretty much shine into the eyes of the player to be able to interfere to any significant digree, if this is true at all. Anyone who has halogen lights at home (especially one as powerful as 60W) know it's extremely uncomfortable to be in that situation.

This story sounds iffy. I have halogens and fluorescent lights all over my home. They don't screw with my remote controls, don't see why they would screw with the wiimote. I'm assuming Nintendo is conducting product tests under home conditions, so they would notice if such interference exists and correct it.

Besides, this was already mentioned in another Wii thread.

I never realized halogens even passed through the same band as ir/bluetooth/wifi (whichever it may be). It sounds overblown though (if not pure speculation) -- I can't help but think about the 360 wireless + walmart issue that ended up being a non issue.

Bobbler said:
I never realized halogens even passed through the same band as ir/bluetooth/wifi (whichever it may be). It sounds overblown though (if not pure speculation)
Yep, let's wait for some real world testing first before pushing the discussion any further.

Halogens can indeed interfer with the IR signal, now the question is how can a halogen lamp can be a problem to the Wii's remote. If the problem happens only in certain, impracticable, scenario, then it's a non issue.

Generally all Halogen lights except Heat Lamps have a special coating that reduces I/R output to levels below a normal incandescent bulb. So unless you plan on hooking up your Wii inside of a greenhouse I don't imagine this is going to be an issue.

Powderkeg said:
So unless you plan on hooking up your Wii inside of a greenhouse I don't imagine this is going to be an issue.

Speak for yourself! I play games in my greenhouse all the time...

Neeyik said:
Good God - it's Tag! Where've you been this past year???

Busy tending to all her plants in the greenhouse...whatever those might be?

Sounds like utter crap to me.
First off, wifi isn't IR - it's RF spectrum so forget interfering with that.

IR interference? Uh, no. IR data signals are frequency based and frequency content from a halogen is constant (and nomilly white to boot). Add to that the fact that IR transmissions have handshaking and parity bits and I think this is complete baloney.

The idea of IR interfering is separate from Wifi and you shouldn't confuse them. The sensor bar system uses IR, whereas Wiimote<>console communication is wireless of some form (has it been disclosed yet?) likely in the public microwave band.

My guess is, if this story were true, which I doubt, but just considering how it might be possible, from the talk of the sensor bar it provides an IR zone which the Wiimote detects. This means IR transmissions from the sensor bar (silly name!), and thus other IR sources could be adding noise to that wavelength space.

If the transmissions are digital, the resultant noise could affect it like digital TV and radio transmissions with dropped packages etc. And if more just a signal of constant intensity which the Wiimote can detect and determine distance and position from the absolute and relative intensities of two different wavelengths or some other difference, other IR sources might also provide such a source.

So, if the two sensor bar transmitters output IR at 1000nm and 1050nm respectively, the Wiimote could be detecting strength/frequency of pulses of these two wavelengths. Another source could then give a false positive reading - if a halogen light to the right of the gamer is outputting IR at 1000nm, pointing the Wiimote to the right and away from the screen as you might in a baseball game would have the Wiimote detecting 1000nm wavelength and maybe interpret it as one of the sensor bar transmissions, wrongly orientating the Wiimote response towards that sensor.

Again, I don't think there'll be a problem, even if this interference exists, which I'm doubtful of, as no-one really games with halogen lights in their room! But I can see an argument as to how there could be a problem. Any system using any EM wavelength is going to have to contest with interference, and the IR space is no expection to that. BlueTooth gets round it with communications trickery. Without more info on what form exactly Wii's IR system works with, and no info on how they deal with interference, there's an unlikely, improbable, possibilty for problems.

This sort of interference with some lights isn't total nonsense, but it only applies when the LEDs "look like" light bulbs to an IR detector, and the first prerequesite for that would be that they need to be ~constantly on. If it pulses, it's very unlikely to be a light bulb.

And LEDs can be pulsed quite rapidly, easily upwards of 200Hz if my memory doesn't betray me. If I had to call that shot, I'd say make them pulse and recognize them by the "clock speed".

If the remote uses intensity to pinpoint location, then having a room flooded with the wavelength of light it uses would cause a problem. Say you could see only two colors (red and blue), and you located where on a wall you were looking by the intensity of both colors. Each color corresponds to an axis, so if you saw black, you'd be in the bottom left corner, purple, the top right. Now throw a red light in there and try to do the same, but only shine it on half the wall.

I think this might be how the pointer works. Each "sensor" on the bar emits a different IR wavelength. There are lenses that are directional and based on what angle they are to a light source.

Of course, with this you wouldn't really need a sensor bar. It would look more like a sensor globe. Maybe the bar is there just to make sure you get the thing level...

Neeyik said:
Good God - it's Tag! Where've you been this past year???

Laughing at my posting average still being over 1.5 a day, of course.

Oh, and didn't you guys realise it yet? My greenhouse is full of money trees :D

Back