wierd sound during windows shutdown

Bahadir

Newcomer
This might sound wierd, as i never experienced this before.
Whenever i shutdown windows, just as the computer automatically shuts down, i hear what seems like the hard drive spinning down noise, but amplified greatly through the speakers!

THis sounds comes from through the desktop speakers which are connected to the "line-out" connector of the motherboard.

Currently, I have DVI connection to my LCD screen, and if I connect it to the VGA input, then there is no noise!

Any clues?

digitalwanderer said:
Does your sound & video wire cross?
Nop. I made sure of that, since that was my main concern for interference.

digitalwanderer said:
What is on the side of your desk that the DVI connector is on, not the AGP side?
Well, the Radeon video card has an DVI-I output connector and the LCD has an DVI-D input connector. So it is connected via the DVI-D cable.

So, with this setup, i get a loud buzz from the speakers when the power goes down.

If I remove the DVI cable, and replace it with the VGA cable, ie, connected from the VGA output from the video card into the VGA input on the LCD, the buzz is no longer present!

So something prolly spooks into the DVI part. Hard to find that, if at all. Try repositioning all possible cables or moving your PCI cards to other slots or such. There's no way to tell that from the top of your head, you'll have to experiment.

Back