Why WiFi quality changes tremendously with FW/Driver update/change?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
So.. software update, driver update, normally give better performance. Like a few more fps with new GPU driver. Nothing changed with realtek HD audio driver (seriously, did any of that realtek HD update give any changes?)

but why in WiFi, the changes are so tremendous?

My personal cases:

• Intel WiFi on Vaio Tap 11 have 1 bar when im outside of my house (on the front park), transfer speed was kilobytes. Updated to latest version, its four bars, around 10MB/s 0_0

• Atheros WiFi on two asus notebook (different series) randomly disconnected from WiFi. Updated to latest version, bam. all is fine.

• TP Link WiFi router barely got its signal to wireless CCTV at front fence of a house (got only 1-2 fps, disconnect often). Updated it to latest firmware and it runs at full tilt 10 fps without disconnect.

• Got a hand on old TP Link WiFi router that have no problem per se, but it is compatible with OpenWRT. Thus i install it and.. it have better sustained throughput than stock firmware (it was fluctuating on stock). dunno with the signal, i was sitting right beside it when testing it. And of course it become advance featured wifi router with a bunch of more features like custom routing, custom local DNS records, and many more. And now its bricked because i stupidly deleted the local routing for all network access -__-

From my experience this is very common with both adapters and router/APs after working with lots of different brands of both over many years. A latest example is my DLink AP at home that seemed to be having issues with certain devices of mine and the latest firmware seemed to have resolved the issue which was due to IPV6 causing kernel panic.

Back