why umd movies?

pixelbox said:
with all kinds of cds becoming useless by the hands of downloadable content, why have a new format?

Because Sony has a vested interest in having a proprietary format.
  • Locks you into their format
  • Reduces piracy
Is it consumer friendly? Nope but no one said corporations were consumer friendly.

But you also have to consider that not everyone will have 2Gig memory sticks to store movies (I have no idea how large an average movie with a good PQ would be in size).

I believe UMD was first and foremost created for games, for PSP games.
As it naturally lends itself to other media for PSP distribution too, it's not a big gamble to put out movies on UMD as the format will not die even if the movies on UMD were not to become a "new standard for mobile media distribution" or a huge success.

I just fail to see a purpose in UMG movies in the future unless they get good games for psp then release a mp3/UMD player. Now i mentioned good games because if they make a UMD player, it would take sales away from the psp. I really, really hope they show a UMD/MP3 player for this convention comming up

UMD is the next generation of minidisk. i'm quite sure sony intends on having UMD players out eventualy, be them portable or set top boxes. but not yet, since UMD sales are solid and movie playback is a strong selling point for the PSP.

pixelbox said:
I just fail to see a purpose in UMG movies in the future unless they get good games for psp then release a mp3/UMD player. Now i mentioned good games because if they make a UMD player, it would take sales away from the psp. I really, really hope they show a UMD/MP3 player for this convention comming up
uh... PSP is already also a MP3 player, so what would be the point in one?

rabidrabbit said:
uh... PSP is already also a MP3 player, so what would be the point in one?

PSP is quite big.

An MP3 player with which you'd be able to play MP3's stored on recordable UMDs would be pretty cool. Personally i would never buy it, but if people buy Minidisc players...

Indeed. What the U stands for should give some clue as to what Sony have in store for the form factor and format. It's not PMD ;)

The only problem with UMD's that I can see is that they're much smaller than DVD in capacity.

It works for the small screen, thus is good for portables. Not so much your HDTV at home.

pixelbox said:
with all kinds of cds becoming useless by the hands of downloadable content, why have a new format?

In addition to other replies in this thread, UMD also has a few benefits:

- Production of the disk-drive and the disk itself is relatively cheap compared to a harddrive
- The costs of the disk drive and disk production costs are likely to come down in price, enabling more competitive pricing on unit as a whole which directly relates to being a consumer benefit.
- better price/space ratio
- the drive is smaller and lighter than a harddisk-drive while being less prone to damage I could imagine
- buy content in the shop and get a physical disk. If all you had was a harddrive in the unit, what would happen to the content if you ever had a hd crash?

I see UMD movies as an added benefit and a way to make money on an existing format. If you already have the format, why not? I could assume the price of bringing existing movies onto UMD is not a very expensive undertaking. The content is already there in digital form, you'd be stupid as a company not to use it in as many places as you can!

london-boy said:
PSP is quite big.

An MP3 player with which you'd be able to play MP3's stored on recordable UMDs would be pretty cool. Personally i would never buy it, but if people buy Minidisc players...
An UMD/MP3 player would be quite big too, at least if it was to play videos too on a screen of satisfying size.
A sole MP3 player that uses the UMD for playing back (prerecorded) music would be kinda pointless considering 1-2 GB flash players are much more convenient.

I think UMD is created to target the growing hype/needs for mobile entertainment. The cellphone people are pushing video on demand, music on demand, Nintendo has been dominating mobile gaming for the longest time, Since these are all presumably Sony's ball game, launching something like UMD would unify its pockets of customers and provide the lock-in mechanism for various form of Sony devices (just like their memory sticks). This is the strategic intention.

Tactically, it addresses:

* Short falls in existing media: Memory sticks are great for personal media (saved games, photos, ...) but it is weak for keeping publishers' media, DVD is too big, mini-disc is too limited. Not enough DRM.

* Alignment. UMD fits into Sony's plan to consolidate their product line and strength in different pockets.

* Certain adoption due to confirmed needs and established channel. Just like Blu-Ray, Sony needed a media to deliver games anyway.

* Doesn't need a network because of its large enough storage.

Essentially Sony created an exclusive market for itself and can now reap its benefits (sell more stuff to the same satisfied audience). UMD movies are selling rather well (The desire to view movie in a mobile fashion apparently exists :) ).

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm curious to see if there will be a correlation between itunes video sales and UMD sales (assuming itunes starts selling movies as opposed to TV shows). sony is a smarter company now than they were in the past when it comes to proprietary media. minidisk and betamax failed not because of the technology involved, but because of market demand. now they work hard to create a demand for the media before the first titles even ship. even if BRD fails as a movie format, it'll still have it's place as a media for games and other PS3 content.

Yes it would be interesting to know. Personally I doubt iTunes Video sales will affect UMD that much.

In its final form, iTunes videos will most likely be FairPlay protected. So you will need an iPod Video to play them. The plus side is iPod Video can store more movies than PSP.

PS3 has its own gaming audience. Screen is much larger (especially good for subtitles).

Considering the usage behaviour...
(i) Unlike songs, most people don't watch that many videos in succession.
(ii) Plus most of the time, you only watch a movie once.
(iii) Due to large file size, people are unlikely to stockpile movie content.
(iv) Movie download takes a longer time (and subjected to more interruptions). So it's not as direct as songs (no instant gratification).

Because of all these reasons, I think downloadable movies for iPod will be treated more like archives. You will want to burn and file them (if this is allowed by FairPlay). So you'll need to do extra work to create an optical disk movie library anyway... Compared to just buying a UMD to carry around.

Finally it's unlikely that iTunes will deliver pr0n video, but a 3rd party can easily distribute pr0n on UMD.

So I think they are differentiated enough to own their own audience.
===========

However if you're talking about digital video distribution to the living room (instead of just iPod), then it's a lot more compelling. We would probably be comparing PS3+BluRay with Apple's rumored living room box though.

Why UMD movies? Thats being explained already. A better question is:
Why UMD music?
I'm totally pro-UMD movies, because I think the physical format is appealing and the quality is great, and more importantly memory sticks aren't big enough...but for music (videos) which easily fit on a memory stick, I'm totally at a loss as to why anyone would buy them.
Anyone actually watch interviews and shit on music DVDs? I sure don't. But theres already a slate of UMD music titles released and many more coming.
Who buys these things?!

LOL. Sony employees ?

I'm guessing:

* Small % of layperson who carry PSP around and listen to music, but are not comfortable to use any of the Windows software to rip them. These people would have small memory sticks too. It's a hassle to carry PSP, an iPod, a cellphone, plus wallet, keychain, ...

* Crazy fans who buy everything their idol(s) sell

* Sony may be still in the middle of developing PSP market (Need to build up critical mass of content).

Speaking of which, even though I have a 1 Gig memory stick, I wouldn't mind buying the Shadow of Colossus soundtrack on a UMD. My hard disk is too full of sh*t. I don't digitize my songs or buy iTunes songs anymore.

Back