Why doesn't my CD-Rom work?

mkillio

Regular
A couple of weeks ago my Samsung SM-352b stopped being recognized in "MyComputer" a friend of mine let me borrow F.E.A.R. today so this really sucks. In the device manager it says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" I've tried windows update and the Samsung website for a newer driver, no dice. I have an SATA HD so I've tried using both the primary and Secondary IDE slots with MA, SL, and CS jumper settings with the correct cable plug. Any ideas, don't tell me it's my mobo.

Update: I just tried a totally different cd-rom with all of the different configurations and it didn't work either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have the Windows CD handy. Look in the device manager what driver file(s) it actually uses. Select "uninstall" (still in the device manager), and delete one of the files. Reboot, and insert the Windows CD when it asks about it.

It might be malware as well.

No older CD rom drive laying around somewhere to try? They do die sometimes.

DiGuru said:
Have the Windows CD handy. Look in the device manager what driver file(s) it actually uses. Select "uninstall" (still in the device manager), and delete one of the files. Reboot, and insert the Windows CD when it asks about it.

It might be malware as well.

No good, and now I have a .dll file missing. Do you think I should try reinstalling windows?

mkillio said:
No good, and now I have a .dll file missing. Do you think I should try reinstalling windows?

Try selecting it in the device manager, and tell it to update the driver. That should work. (And it should offer the option to look for updates on the Windows update site.) If it doesn't work, use Adaware and Spybot S&D to see if you have spyware installed. You do have a virusscanner, right? If you don't, download stinger and run that. (I would just use stinger and hijackthis and the log parser on hijackthis.de, but that's a bit more complicated.)

If that doesn't fix the problem, you might need to reinstall Windows. And if THAT doesn't work, it's your motherboard, although I think that's unlikely.

I haven't gotten around to re-installing windows yet, i tried the repair option but it just sent me to the command prompt dos style screen. But on a side note, possibly related, as far as windows not working, I'm not able to install any apple software. I can't get quicktime to install or ipod software, meaning the downloadable versions. Think they're related?

Back