Why does PS4's low power mode still need a fan?

That's interesting but based on DF findings, Pro still need Jaguars in order to download stuff while in rest mode:

Rest Mode (Online, Downloading) Pro: 58W, PS4 2000: 46W , PS4 1000: 73W

But Pro (and PS4 newer models: 1.2 and slim 2000) need less energy during this mode so the system may not need the fan. What model of PS4 do you have Shifty ? You'd need only 46W if you had a slim model.

Haha and my whole pc complete with monitor and speakers only ate 70-77 watts while watching movies.

Did they need to fire up all cores just to download?

The ARM doesn't handle background downloads?! Why not? I thought that was its purpose.
ARM processor is only monitoring the PSN network, and then activates main APU when it needs to download something.

Also, fan remains in use for few minutes after shutting console down in rest mode. This is done so that APU can be properly cooled off.

ARM processor is only monitoring the PSN network, and then activates main APU when it needs to download something.

Also, fan remains in use for few minutes after shutting console down in rest mode. This is done so that APU can be properly cooled off.

I can certainly confirm that my original PS4 kept the fans going literally overnight, while downloading nothing, on rest mode.

Now that, I never understood.

I can certainly confirm that my original PS4 kept the fans going literally overnight, while downloading nothing, on rest mode.

Whoa, no way. Sony always stressed that their low power mode was good. That's one of the reasons, among many, that they included the ARM cores. I guess they weren't able to get it working like they wanted or something?

[edit] Actually thinking about it. Their low power mode might not be that bad. But it'd still require active cooling due to their design choices. Unlike the XBO, they can't really resort to any level of passive cooling for anything except standby/sleep mode. Everything is enclosed in a tight plastic package. There is very little room or ventilation for passive cooling and the vents do not in any way facilitate that. As well, the plastic shell means that you cannot use the casing to help dissipate heat. So, even if the heat generated in low power mode was relatively low, you would still require some level of active cooling. PS4-S and PS4-P should at least require significantly less fan speed and air flow to keep temps in control in low power mode.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:

Maybe consider repair or replacement, because that really shouldn't be happening.

This from someone with a launch console that sounds like an angry bodysnatcher whenever I play Witcher 3.

Nope. I keep that on all the time and my PS4 Pro shuts the fan down when the APU is cooled off and nothing is downloading.

Which should be expected. I have a USB charger that can charge multiple devices with 2.5A per device that doesn't generate much, if any, noticeable heat. Functionality like that wouldn't require any of the CPU cores to be active.

Regards,
SB

my PS4 old original launch model keeps the fan spinning even in rest mode doing nothing, the PSVR PU box also wont turn off (this bug was not there at launch but after the 1st or 2nd PSVR firmware update).

my PS4 pro fan is not spinning (or if its spinning, i cant hear it) while in rest mode doing nothing.

Back