Which subject is better?

Personally I'd pick the OS option. It lets you get a lot closer to the hardware but then again I'm also an architecture whore so that sort of thing interests me.

As far as being worth while, I'm assuming you mean which will more likely help in getting a good job. Either is likely to to help just as much as the other, though I know around these parts IBM keeps looking for students to work on Linux for them. So that's probably another thumbs up for the OS option.

On the other hand, the networking tends to be quite a bit easier, but involve more memorization.

Thanks buddy.
I'm definitely going for the OS option, now moreso. :)
I just don't want to waste my time at uni, I want to come out with the right knowledge under my belt.

In the end I want to go into the game development industry.

Defintaly the OS option (that's what I would pick), although I don't think you will get so close to the underlying hardware. More likely you will learn a lot of task-scheduling, memory-swapping, file-systems,...

cristic said:
Defintaly the OS option (that's what I would pick), although I don't think you will get so close to the underlying hardware. More likely you will learn a lot of task-scheduling, memory-swapping, file-systems,...

Well you'll learn a lot about the TLB, memory segmentation (and all the fun hardware that is necesary for that). That's mainly what I ment.

I've read articles on all those things.
I know what memory segmentation is and OS deadlocking.

How much more in depth could they possibly get?
B3D has already taught me a lot.

K.I.L.E.R said:
I've read articles on all those things.
I know what memory segmentation is and OS deadlocking.

How much more in depth could they possibly get?
B3D has already taught me a lot.

Sadly not a whole lot. Though a fair amount of the difficulty is actually implenting those things.

One good bit of advice that was given to me in this kind of situation was to go for the thing you enjoy the most, which seems like your doing anyway. You will be more likely to work hard at something you enjoy, and therefore get good marks in it, which will impres the employers.

Back