When will we see pcie cards

Sxotty

Legend
I want to buy a pci express soundcard, the reason is that my microatx board has 2 pci slots and I will have a hauppauge tuner, and a avermedia a180 tuner in them, thus onboard sound only if I don't get a pcie soundcard so when will we actually see them? I want my next motherboard to have more pcie slots and lesss pci slots too, what is with having only one... the chiken egg cycle...

Anyway does anyone have any ideas? I saw that there is one tuner card for pcie now but that is about the extent of it.

PCIe apparantly isn't all that suited to sound, seeing as it is serial/packetized in nature, which works best with long continued bursts. Hardware-accelerated audio on the other hand use many scattered accesses and suffers from lots of latency because of it.

That's what creative said anyway when asked why their newest chip was PCI only. I guess it'll change, but add-in-based audio isn't nearly as popular as it once was when on-board surround sound is on every mobo these days. Might take a while, or it might never happen...

Well apparently it is actually fine Guden look at this
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/symphony.php

I hope that others follow suit soon as I need one for my HTPC to replace my current one, I have no other slos available the 2 are taken by avermedia digital TV card and the hauppauge PVR.

It gives me hope at least that by the time I move on to socket M2 I will have a decent possibility for my HTPC.

P.S. SLi for soundcards there :)

Last edited by a moderator:
we're gonna need 2 pic-e slots beside the x16 for gpus to run sound and PPU!

currently i only see 2 PCI-e x16, 1 PCI-e x1, 3 PCI. spose my current PCI sound will suffice.

Yeah I won't buy a PPU unless it is on pcie, I simply don't want legacy components.

And btw their target should be the enthusiast who should have PCIe slots unlike soundcards, therefore it is somewhat inexcusable for them to not have the PPU for PCIe. (Same with SATA cd/dvd drives where are they??)

Back