Wheee!! [H] has finally managed to piss off FutureMark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
radeonic2 said:
damn futuremark for bending over for kyle..

Well, look on the bright side--at least we won't have to look forward to seeing any [H] headlines like this:

"[H] Preemptively Sues FutureMark in Defense of Freedom of Speech," right?

That alone is worth its weight in gold or platinum.

My own entirely subjective opinion is that [H] targets companies and/or individuals it believes have jello for spines and will back down at the slightest threat of negative exposure even if the critical slant is completely unjustified. I really do think that's the case, and that the IL fiasco was nothing more than a huge miscalculation on [H]'s part, as no doubt IL was expected to immediately cringe and run away screaming and sobbing, quivering in its boots, at the first peal of thunder it heard out of [H.] I am sure that [H] will be much more prudent as to its choice of victims and targets in the future, no doubt...;) [Let's see [H] go after Intel in such a fashion over the Prescott fiasco, for instance--Never gonna' happen, of course...]

Yes, personally, I have always been disappointed with the meekness with which FM has defended its IP and its declared principles in the past, and although I had expected them to once again quickly fold and drop their cards and skimper away, it is still somewhat disappointing to see it. After all, if FM won't defend itself in public, who will? If FM hasn't the stomach to defend its public profile, then perhaps the company might be better served by seeking a different, and private, employment venue which excludes the public sale and promotion of its software. Nothing wrong at FM that a little backbone won't cure, imo...

First slightly off topic. But after watching some south park episodes your posts made me Laugh Out Loud. And it's so spot on as well.
That 3dmark03 thingy that happened with [H] was funny as hell. And as someone else probably already has mentioned, when nvidia rejoined the futuremark beta program and Kyle's check from nvidia bounced that's when he critisized nvidia. 12 Years after everyone else.
If you disagree with Kyle, he'll just keep standing on that same crap spot and argue the same shit over and over, no matter how wrong he is proven. I remember that time someone posted graphs on his forum and got banned for it. While the real reason was that he was proven wrong, wrong and so wrong :LOL:

WaltC said:
radeonic2 said:
damn futuremark for bending over for kyle..

Well, look on the bright side--at least we won't have to look forward to seeing any [H] headlines like this:

"[H] Preemptively Sues FutureMark in Defense of Freedom of Speech," right?

That alone is worth its weight in gold or platinum.

My own entirely subjective opinion is that [H] targets companies and/or individuals it believes have jello for spines and will back down at the slightest threat of negative exposure even if the critical slant is completely unjustified. I really do think that's the case, and that the IL fiasco was nothing more than a huge miscalculation on [H]'s part, as no doubt IL was expected to immediately cringe and run away screaming and sobbing, quivering in its boots, at the first peal of thunder it heard out of [H.] I am sure that [H] will be much more prudent as to its choice of victims and targets in the future, no doubt...;) [Let's see [H] go after Intel in such a fashion over the Prescott fiasco, for instance--Never gonna' happen, of course...]

Yes, personally, I have always been disappointed with the meekness with which FM has defended its IP and its declared principles in the past, and although I had expected them to once again quickly fold and drop their cards and skimper away, it is still somewhat disappointing to see it. After all, if FM won't defend itself in public, who will? If FM hasn't the stomach to defend its public profile, then perhaps the company might be better served by seeking a different, and private, employment venue which excludes the public sale and promotion of its software. Noth
ing wrong at FM that a little backbone won't cure, imo...
FM needs to learn a lession from kyle and have some balls.. but keep the brains, which kyle traded in..

To everyone at [H]ardOCP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please accept my sincererest apologies for myself reacting the way I did yesterday morning and for sending those emails to Kyle that he posted on the news page. I would like to hereby let everyone know that I am withdrawing all of that. Also, I feel that I owe everyone an explanation of why it happened.

For years, we have been trying to get constructive cooperation going with the HardOCP team. However, for one reason or another none of these attempts have succeeded. So, naturally we have been little bit frustrated by it. Then, I again saw a newspost yesterday morning with just a statement that our product sucks without any explanation or argumentation or technical reason of why they so think.

This just caused an immediate, and I have to add, rather immature, reaction in myself and I sent off those emails without really thinking.

So, as a summary, I hope that we can all move forward from here. We do wish more constructive critique and I would like to emphasize that we really encourage everyone to send and publish any and all feedback, good or bad, as long as it is reasonably argumented, since only that helps this industry move forward.

Sincerely,

Tero Sarkkinen

Yea that's right. Who's your bitch? ;) :devilish:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1026710094&postcount=545

The community did their job and got very quick results.

DukenukemX said:

That is a great place for you and the [H] community to just post there, where the entire IQ in that thread wouldn't light a flashlight bulb. My head hurts reading that pimple faced drivel there.

Another good reason why Futuremark will never be worth anything anymore, no backbone...not even to a website webmaster that thrives on this kind of thing :devilish:

Doomtrooper said:
DukenukemX said:

That is a great place for you and the [H] community to just post there, where the entire IQ in that thread wouldn't light a flashlight bulb. My head hurts reading that pimple faced drivel there.

Another good reason why Futuremark will never be worth anything anymore, no backbone...not even to a website webmaster that thrives on this kind of thing :devilish:
tru.dat
hardforums is full of nvidiots..

Hellbinder said:
Personally, as much as i like [H] new review process i think he has gone waaay overboard on this and i hope he gets his rear sued into the ground.

Wich trust me gentleman... is going to happen here.

See, right and wrong still get figured out even now days without a court of law.

Also, I would like to see you back up some of your statements like "he has gone waaay overboard on this," with quotes and links to me doing so. I think it would be good for me to reflect on what you think EXACTLY is "waaay overboard" so I could evaluate my past statements and learn to do better.

thop said:
Oh boy now FM inflated Kyle's already huge ego even more.

I appreciate what you say here, but this is not a personal victory. It is a victory for every person that has a site on the internet in which they share their opinion.

As for it inflating my ego even beyond the huge proportions that it is already at, that is not true. I knew I was right from the start. 8) The real problem is going to be getting my head through the door to go down to the kitchen and have a self-congratulatory beer.

I'm mostly surprised that Tero realized that he was making a PR mistake, bit the bullet and apologized. Impressive, in a way.

If FM had wanted to push this, they could easily have shown excellent correlation between 3DMark scores and game performance, with standard deviations and confidence intervals that would make it very hard for [H]OCP to back up claims of lack of predictive ability.

And I guess most would agree that the [H]OCP stance on 3DMark has been a tad one-sided, so on this issue, I'm not at all sure that Kyle would enjoy the support that his conflict vs. Infinium Labs has.

I'm happy to see reason, rather than lawyers, triumph.

Although it would be a good idea, Kyle, if you quit pissing on 3DMark. It has its problems, and its merits. At this point, if you don't like it, just don't use it. Your stance is already well covered and available on the net for anyone interested. No need to harp on it. It just makes you seem obsessive.

FrgMstr said:
The real problem is going to be getting my head through the door to go down to the kitchen and have a self-congratulatory beer.
Pffft, take the easy way out....have your kid bring ya one... ;)

Entropy said:
I'm mostly surprised that Tero realized that he was making a PR mistake, bit the bullet and apologized. Impressive, in a way.
Yeah, and it should be noted that he was this way as soon as he found out about the brew-ha-ha his e-mails started.

He was replying this way last night to posters from [H] who e-mailed 'em, and they were posting it up.

In a way I'm glad it turned out to be a whole lot of nothing, in another way I'm kind of disapointed that it's over already. :?

Hey Kyle, when does the actual article on 3dm2k5 set to premiere? :|

digitalwanderer said:
FrgMstr said:
The real problem is going to be getting my head through the door to go down to the kitchen and have a self-congratulatory beer.
Pffft, take the easy way out....have your kid bring ya one... ;)

My monitor needed cleaning anyway. Comedy gold. I will need to switch to cans though as I don't won't to worry about them dropping one and getting cut. ;)

Entropy said:
Although it would be a good idea, Kyle, if you quit pissing on 3DMark. It has its problems, and its merits. At this point, if you don't like it, just don't use it. Your stance is already well covered and available on the net for anyone interested. No need to harp on it. It just makes you seem obsessive.

As long as Futuremark continues to be a huge controlling factor in decisions that are made about video card purchases, particularly among OEMs (and this is verified by both NVIDIA and ATI), I will continue to voice my opinion about their products.

As for my stance being well covered, I am seeing many new folks in the last two days that are totally unaware of my thoughts on synthetics and have never been exposed to our thoughts and think that our opinions stop at "3Dmark05 sucks," as I quipped in that one news post. If anything, this has solidified my thoughts that I need to be more vocal on the subject.

Also, as a point of interest, HardOCP traffic is highly transient. It is mostly comprised of people looking for help in making a hardware purchase decision. By far, most people use us when they need us and we are not a daily stop. This too is another reason for repeating things. I am sorry some of our daily visitors feel as though we are repeatedly saying the same thing.

I"m glad that an apology was offered, and that it didn't go any further.

Kyle may have a right to say what he wants to, but just because you have that right doesn't mean you always should. As was said earlier... everyone knows how he feels about 3DMark as a benchmarking app, so why beat a dead horse? :?

If he was doing an article on 3DMark I feel that it would be the best way to show the programs negative and positive (it's not all bad IMO) apects.
I would be curious to know if he has an article planned for it though.... get the inquisitors robes, and red-hot irons ready... :LOL:

MasterBaiter said:
I"m glad that an apology was offered, and that it didn't go any further.

Kyle may have a right to say what he wants to, but just because you have that right doesn't mean you always should.

As was said earlier... everyone knows how he feels about 3DMark as a benchmarking app, so why beat a dead horse? :?

We hardly say everything that comes to mind or that we have the right to. I do say the things I think SHOULD be said. On that note, not everyone agrees with me on what should be said, and on that we will have to agree to disagree. That is the great thing about the red X button on your window. You can quickly make me and HardOCP a thing of your past. :)

As for you second point, I already addressed it a post above.

"You're, you're getting really baffled here. Piece-of-Shit! Now walk away. That's all it is, it's nothing more! Free yourself folks, if you see it, Piece-of-Shit, say it and walk away. You're right! You're right! Not those fuckers who want to tell you how to think! You're fucking right!"

That's from the alimighty Bill Hicks. I don't think anything better could be said.

gfhr- said:
"You're, you're getting really baffled here. Piece-of-Shit! Now walk away. That's all it is, it's nothing more! Free yourself folks, if you see it, Piece-of-Shit, say it and walk away. You're right! You're right! Not those fuckers who want to tell you how to think! You're fucking right!"

That's from the alimighty Bill Hicks. I don't think anything better could be said.

Go Bill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back