Wheee!! [H] has finally managed to piss off FutureMark.

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Ostsol, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ostsol

Veteran

[H]ardOCP

2. PatrickL

Veteran

Funny stuff :)

3. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Ha! Do I have less respect for Futuremark or [H]ardOCP? I'd have thought that FM would have learned their lesson after their run-in with Nvidia's lawyers...

4. Reverend

Banned

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Then again,

< where's the friggin' emoticon for licking your lips big time? >

5. Dean

Newcomer

Too Funny!! :p

Kyle must have quite the bank account to keep feeding all those lawyers.

6. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Nahh, what's FM going to do? Sue [H] for not likeing their benchmark software and saying so in their review and editorials which are by their nature subjective opinion pieces? In a country where free-speech is protected in the constitution? FM are just pissing in the wind.

If FM were serious they would have pointed out exactly what lines they object to, instead of a vague "you know - all those nasty things you've been saying about us. Makes us cry. I've told my mommy". :roll:

7. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Woah, fun stuff....thanks Ostsol and frontpaged. :)

8. Reverend

Banned

Oh, forgot to add : Where's the popcorn?

Oh well, perhaps it's a storm in a teacup but knowing Kyle, he'll milk this for all it's worth.

If what Kyle said Tero wrote him is true (and I honestly have no reason to think Kyle would come up with this on his own!!), it really is unlike Tero. Nor is the follow-up email from Tero, which Tero probably didn't expect Kyle to post, otherwise Tero would've said "This email is under NDA". Seems like the follow-up email from Tero was rushed and -- more importantly and perhaps damningly for FM -- emotional.

9. PatrickL

Veteran

My question would be. What are the questions that H asked to ATI and Nvidia that made FM reacting ?

10. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Could a game publishers sue a corporate review site such as Gamespot for damages due to a negative review impacting their title's potential sales?

That said, Kyle has demonstrated a clear agenda since last year to denigrate the usefulness of 3DMark in testing graphics hardware, and his statements are often based on erroneous knowledge (a la lack of technical understanding). Some of his comments above mirror this: the Proxycon (sp?) game test did tell the gaming community how ATI hardware might handle Doom 3 with AA enabled, and GT4 and the furor that broke out over its PS 2.0 skybox clearly indicated that a certain IHV wasn't entirely confident their then-current hardware could run the test as well as the competition's hardware. I don't think there's anything wrong with a benchmark suite comprised only of games, or choosing synthetic tests other than FM's products, so long as the reviewer understands how to use and interpret data gleaned from his testing.

11. digitalwanderer

Legend

FM could be holding back specifics to surprise [H] when/if they file.

Looks like it'll be a jolly good show though either way. 8)

12. digitalwanderer

Legend

This one will require the jumbo sized one and lots for everyone!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Dean

Newcomer

I don't understand why Futuremark would take this up, unless they got word from someone regarding H's upcoming Editoral on 3dm2k5. It's not like Kyle has this profound effect over his readership with his opinions, his forums are filled with many threads with his readership openly comparing 3dmard2k5 scores.

This is only going to make Futuremark look bad.

14. SirXcalibur

Newcomer

I was thinking just before that post by Kyle that he was perhaps being unprofessional when he made this post earlier:
    The bolding is my own. There really was no need for and it really is just a mean spirited jab, so I can see how FM might get "emotional". However, the [H] is Kyles baby and he can do what he wants. I have no idea what FM thinks is going to happen with this, but I can't see anything good coming of it.

15. oddfellow

Regular

This is good stuff.

Can't wait to see how this one develops :D

16. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

This was an absolutely bad move by FM.........

17. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

Maybe Kyle gets enough hits now that when he pisses people off they sue him, which in turn generates even more hits? Hehe. I kinda hope this goes to court, just to see it get laughed out faster than the IL case.

18. Mark

Mark aka Ratchet
    Regular

Kyle might have eventually forgotten about 3DMark had Tero not called him out on it, but knowing Kyle he'll never let it go now. If anything, Tero just made things a lot worse for FM.

The editorial, if it ever surfaces, will be interesting indeed.

19. Mark

Mark aka Ratchet
    Regular

classic Kyle

20. WaltC

Veteran

BelleVue Sanatorium, Billary, NY. Patient privile
    What can I say except that [H] must be in love with lawsuits. Here's hoping the publicity generated will allow them to offset their accumulating attorney's fees, someday, maybe...:D

This was great:

Now, since [H] seems to know and understand that 3dMk is not actually a game itself, but is instead a "benchmark," why would 3dMk "suck" merely because it "does not tell me anything specifically about the games I play"...?

Does HL2 "suck" because running the game tells me nothing specifically about how my box will run Stalker? Does Stalker "suck" because playing it tells me nothing about running HL2? Does Doom3 "suck" because running it tells me nothing about how Quake 3 will run on my system? Does Doom3 "suck" because running the game tells me nothing about how my system will run benchmarks like 3dMk, or the UT2K3 fly-by benchmark? And vice-versa, ad infinitum?

In short, does *everything* "suck" because it doesn't tell us how *everything else* will run?...:D

It seems that [H]'s enduring objection to 3dMk is simply that it isn't Doom 3. But then, Doom 3 isn't Stalker, isn't HL2, isn't Far Cry, isn't NWN, etc. and etc., forever and forever. So if the basis for [H]'s objection to 3dMk is that it isn't anything else, then what is [H]'s rationale for liking any individual piece of software? According to [H], if any piece of software isn't something else, it sucks. If you can figure that one out, clue me in, by all means...:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.