whats your alcoholic drink of choice?

Glenfiddich is not a bad quaffing whisky and all that, but I think that there are many better Scottish single malts that are widely available.

Personally I'm partial to the lowland malts, eg. Rosebank (now running on reserves unfortunately) though a shot of a Islay malt like Lagavulin or Lahphroaig is certainly a very different experience (not to everyones taste, though I think everyone who likes whisky should at least try it).

_xxx_ said:
Errm, what's that? :oops:
One of the meanest & nastiest whiskeys on this god's green earth, and Hunter S. Thompson's prefered drink of choice. (Thus why I drank that god-awful paint thinner... :oops: )

nutball said:
Glenfiddich is not a bad quaffing whisky and all that, but I think that there are many better Scottish single malts that are widely available.

"Widely available" in the UK maybe, but unfortunately not here. But I'll look for them, I always like discovering new stuff :)

As a nice Whisky I'd also recommend Talisker from the Isle of Skye. Readily available in most UK supermarkets but I'm not sure about elsewhere.

It's a right touch. ;)

- Cocktails ( Mojito*, Caipirinha**, Mai Tai, Planters Punch***)

- German Beer (preferably bavarian, mostly Pils or Weizenbier)

- Red wine (there are some very good red wines coming out of California, Chile and Australia)

- Franconian white wine

* Barkeepers who make Mojitos with mint syrup and not with fresh mint should be shot on sight!
** For an excellent alcohol-free version replace the Cachaça with Tonic Water and Bitter Lemon (fifty-fifty) and add a dash of Rose's Lime Juice.
*** Only real with Myers Rum.

Dont really like beer. Merely a drink of utter last resort.

I like nice white wines, prefer sweet over dry, but a nice complex dry white is still very nice. Not a fan of reds(esp Merlot), I can not stand the bitter aftertaste and the coating feeling it leaves on the tongue and teeth.

Outside that, Rum and coke, bourbon and coke. Still, Id rather go greeen. :D

With reguards to the law, it was 21 in NZ for a long time, was dropped to 18, and now looks set to go back to 21. Figured it would not take long as young NZers basically drink until they are totally chopped and go crazy, zero restraint.

I like to have a shot of Jägermeister after a meal, but that's not what I would call having a drink.

My cocktail of choice is Caipirinha made with Cointreau. The latter really is a fine ingredient for mixing alcoholic drinks.

I love german beer, but that's no surprise. I grew up with Karlsberg and Bitburger and later got used to Lübzer. The only english beer I liked so far is Rosey Nosey, but admittedly I only tried about half a dozen so far (err... different beers, not pints). For irish draughts I prefer Smithwicks (very similar to Kilkenny Ale which is produced for the export market) to Guinness. The latter is more a meal than it is a drink. ;)

When it comes to wine, I think every popular wine region/country has its good and bad ones. French reds tend do be very dry, but some of them are very good and go well with a meal. I like some german white ones - without a meal :D

Scorpion is nice:

6 cl white Rum
2 cl Brandy
8 cl Orangejuice
2 cl Lemonjuice
2 cl Orgeat

shake

Longdrinkglass with ice

Currently I'm really in to blended Scotch, J&B specifically, on the rocks. I used to really love whisky though. I'm also starting to get into wine alot, I don't care for white wine however, I especially like cabernets though.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the realm of beers, I tend to like stronger ales (reds & browns over pale), although depending on what I'm eating, hefeweizens aren't bad at all.

In wine world, I'm pretty middle of the board -- not too sweet, not too dry. That's an area typically occupied by blushes, but also a handful of whites and reds. Some varieties vary a lot -- Chenin Blancs can be anything from very dry to very sweet. Typically, this also includes wines that aren't too expensive, as well as beverage wines like sangria (although I guess that's technically a "wine beverage"). Generally don't like dessert wines, but if I were to go for sparkling wines, I prefer sweet over dry.

I happen to be fond of sake, and I find a lot of them especially go well with strongly flavored food (e.g. really spicy or really salty or really sour or whatever).

Mixed stuff... hmmm... rum/Crown & coke, buttery nipple, whiskey sour, dark/white russian, SoCo & Dew, there's a load of good ones out there and people occasionally dream up some interesting ones at times that might have otherwise seemed like total nonsense.

Plain hard liquor, then I'm a scotch/whiskey man, though I don't mind Southern Comfort. Though I find with hard liquor that it pays to be a brand whore. I've found some brands that are decent and some that are just god-awful. For instance, I can't stand Jim Beam -- it's turpentine. Which is also why I basically never buy hard liquor myself : the good stuff is just too expensive.

Growing up in Scotland, I'm an alcoholic by law. They even teach it at school up there.

You'll mostly catch me drinking single malts (Lagavulin, Laphraoig, Dalmore, Glenfiddich, Glenkinchie, Talisker, Caol Isla etc), usually from Islay. A G&T made with Sapphire doesn't go amiss, either.

Long Island Iced Tea if it's cocktails hour (9am-9pm :?: ), something that isn't cheap piss if it's lager, like Hoegaarten.

Grey Goose or Absolut vodka if it's from a supermarket shelf, but I never drink it in bars. That's about it really. It's a wonder I even typed this out, given how shitfaced I am, and it's only 8.30am and I got up half an hour ago!

Back