whats your alcoholic drink of choice?

Moloch

God of Wicked Games
Veteran
Since I just turned 21 I've not had very much experience in drinking :oops:
But I got a 6 pack of karl strauss and some mini champagn and the beers ok.. quite different from the sweet drinks I'm used to drinking (soda) but its not bad.
But this extra dry champange (cooks california extra dry) my sister got me is truely awfull.
its so damn bitter its horid!

scotch, beer, white wine, red wine, homebrew beer and spirits, spirits... in no particular order.

Cold beer for the luv of christ! Not that warm European swill.

IgnorancePersonified said:
scotch, beer, white wine, red wine, homebrew beer and spirits, spirits... in no particular order.

Cold beer for the luv of christ! Not that warm European swill.

I think it is just us Brits which get accused of warm beer.

It isn't actually 'warm' it is simply not chilled. It is cooler than you would serve red wine. Also this is not for Lager, we drink Lager cold the same as the rest of you.

Since I just turned 21 I've not had very much experience in drinking
But I got a 6 pack of karl strauss and some mini champagn and the beers ok.. quite different from the sweet drinks I'm used to drinking (soda) but its not bad.
But this extra dry champange (cooks california extra dry) my sister got me is truely awfull.
its so damn bitter its horid!
Nothing to be embarrased about.
Champagne is overrated in my opinion.

There are plenty of nice beers and wines you can try, I can heartily recommend 'Blandford Fly' and 'Golden Glory' from the Badger Brewery http://www.badgerdirect.com
There are tons of different wines to try.
A good whisky (with a splash of water).
Try making some alcoholic milkshakes/smoothies. Throw some fruit and icecream in a blender then throw in some spirits ( Amaretto works a treat).

CC

Good red wine is my tipple of choice at home (Spanish or Italian, none of that French muck).

In the pub I tend to drink lager (good lager if I can find it), or bitter on occasions.

Broadly speaking I avoid spirits when I'm out, because six hours of drinking them can be ... painful. But a good single malt has been enjoyed on the odd winters' evening. :smile:

It's interesting what you say about being used to sweet drinks... I think that's why cider is the traditional weening drink here (or it was before the invention of alcopops).

I made some eggnog for the Chri... Holidays, had never made it befor, nor do I think I'd ever tasted it before, but it was fairly good.... creamy.
It's hard to drink it so much to get drunk though, that could be counted as an advantage for it too :)
Generally I drink mostly white wines or vodka, beer and red wines often give me migraine.

radeonic2 said:
Since I just turned 21 I've not had very much experience in drinking

You crazy Americans! ;)

The main thing is to try a variety of drinks. Not necessarily all at the same time however!

The range of beers available from around the world is truly mindboggling with huge differences in style and flavour. I understand that lager is the predominant beer style in the US but it's worth trying other types of beer if you get the opportunity. Variety is the spice of life!

If you can get them in the US, I'd recommend trying Wheat Beers (Hoegaarden for example). A peculiar flavour but I find it quite pleasant!

Not a big drinker of spirits myself apart from the odd Gin & Tonic (an acquired taste ;) ) and on rare occasions Single Malt Whiskey. Handle spirits with care!

Drinking wine is often pleasant, especially with a meal, but once again the range of styles and tastes is enormous.

Yes, I would definitely recommend to stick with one type of drink if you're getting drunk for the first time.
I still remember I only drank some sweet lemon licquer when I got drunk for the first time, had a terrible terrible hangover throwing up etc.. and even the smell of such lemon can give me nauseous feeling today... and that was some 20 years ago!
On the other hand, if you dring various drinks, maybe they'll mix so you won't get an aversion to any of them ;)

Mariner said:
Not a big drinker of spirits myself apart from the odd Gin & Tonic (an acquired taste ;) ) and on rare occasions Single Malt Whiskey. Handle spirits with care!

Drinking wine is often pleasant, especially with a meal, but once again the range of styles and tastes is enormous.

Never really got into G&T myself. It seems like I am trying to drink a christmas tree.

Recently went to a wine tasting, judging by the notes I made it would appear I tried 55 different wines. I seemed to like most of them.

Still learning about drinks myself. I don't go to bars often enough and I only go when a lot of my friends go and lately our schedules have been conflicting. But we still do birthday bashes and stuff. My roommate got me a Irish car bomb for my birthday and that was good. Another friend she bought me a "Washington Apple," don't recall what is in it but it tastes like the name implies. Don't like too many Martinis, there's a lot of good Margaritas.

My roommate makes White Russians often. My favorite is Captain Morgan, I take shots now and then but if I want to drink something and doing something else (Games, Read, Movies), I'll mix it with Coca-Cola. Oh Kahlua mixed with Coffee is really good and I have friends who do it in the mornings.

I drink beer less than mixed or hard liquor. But I prefer Bass and Fat Tire, pretty much the Pale Ales. Probably have to do with me becoming an accountant and the Accounting Equation: Assets = Liabilities + Equity, I remember it as ALE. There's a lot of those shorthand ways of remembering accounting terms and concepts with some drinking sayings.

Oh, in the process of this post, I discovered this at the wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:drink_stubs

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rum and coke or Abosulte Vodka Blue neat, Rain Drop is also good. Depends on how fast I want to get drunk ;)

At home I usually have a glass of red/white wine with meals. At uni it's just beer, beer, beer then whatever multicoloured concontion we can still pronounce.

Grown quite partial to Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum + Sprite/7up recently. Tastes a bit like Cream Soda. Strawberry daiquiris are pretty damn good too, if a bit girly. :)

Red wine is my number one choice, I think. At first you should look for "easier" wines. Most spanish red wines seems to be easy but french wines are the opposite.

But stay away from tequila. Really.

Of course there are literally thousands of mixed drinks for you to try and these might be the best way to start out if you are a soda drinker. Mixed drinks generally are sweet and hide the taste of the alcohol which can be nice if you are using cheap booze. ;) My best advice here is to just try different random drinks and see what you like. Generally drinks will either be chocolatey/coffee/cream flavored or fruity. There are a few drinks that won't fall into these categories (things made with goldschloger will taste like an atomic fireball!), most generally do.

Edit: Long Island Iced Teas are absolutely fantastic if mixed correctly, terrible if not. A well mixed long island will put you on your ass and you'll barely be able to tell you are drinking alcohol!

Having said that, if you want to drink something other than girly mixed drinks ;), here's some things to try:

Stouts. Make sure you try Guinness (tap, or lacking that canned) and Young's double chocolate stout (Haven't been able to find it on tap yet). Some people really like Mackeson's triple stout, though I'm more a fan of the first two. Also try a good oatmeal stout if you can find one on tap at a nearby pub.

There are a wide variety of liquors to try, and I really would suggest trying many different ones. :) There is an interesting Korean drink known as Soju (Shochu in Japan) which is a clear distilled liquor made from a variety of ingredients including sweet potato and tapioca. It's like a slightly less potent version of vodka and makes for a good sipping drink when chilled.

Of course there is a wide selection of whiskeys, bourbons and scotches to try. I'd highly suggest trying the balvenie double wood whiskey. Maker's Mark I've had mixed results with. One batch I had was amazing, others have been so-so. I like glenlivit, but not glenfiddich. Glenfiddich isn't nearly as smooth as I expected for the price. Of course if you are on a budget there's always Jack or <shudder> Jim Bean. :)

Another drink to try is Akvavit (Aquavit). It is a very interesting scandinavian distilled liquor. Linie aquavit is shipped in wooden barrels from Norway and is required to cross the equator twice before it can be sold. The idea is that the rocking motion of the ship keeps the liquor constantly moving inside the barrels and it results in a much smoother and milder liquor.

Finally, high quality Gins, Vodkas, and Tequila can all make for good sipping drinks if chilled. For Gin I'd try bombay sapphire or tanq 10, vodka I'd try Level one or shakers. I'm not much of a tequila connaisseur, but my father-in-law is so I can ask him if you are interested.

That should be enough to get you started. If you want to know about wine I have a couple that I like, but I get migraines from reds sometimes so I don't drink it as often as other types of alcohol.

Nite_Hawk

Scotch anyday. Of course, I suggest chilled beer as well :doh:. BTW, did you say 21? Man you Americans really ought to sue the government or something :LOL:!

Back