What's the deal with vitamin c?

Just been re-reading some of my old-articles and boy does it seem godly. Supposedly, most animals generate vitamin c*(by the grams and can increase production several fold while in a diseased state), humans supposedly have all the enzymes involved in the pathway to generate it minus the final that has become defective(could be a bad mutation that got stuck due to the human population bottleneck that occured some time ago.). Multi-gram production in animals and the same pathway existing near complete in humans suggest it should not only be safe but serve an important role, and at higher then recommended doses.

Linus Pauling who won two nobel prizes strongly advocated it and managed to live to 93~yrs while consuming supposedly multi-gram doses of vitamin c, though he started supplementing late in life(what would've been the result of lifelong supplementation?). Also some large studies have supposedly shown it decreases all cause mortality in doses above the low-RDA quantity.

It has been bombarded by the mass media time and again and most any negative article is published(and when it's later disproven, etc. not reported). There's still lots of uncertainty involving the adequate doses.

So what is the deal with vitamin c? Are the multi-billion dollar pharmaceutic corp.s up to their usual evil deeds, striking down against safe-low-cost alternatives to their patented blockbuster side-effect-laden pills of death, or is there something more to it?

Perhaps it interferes with chloride homeostasis > BDNF > neuronal growth? It would explain the plasticity of the human brain.

Um, I personally consumed multi-gram doses of vitamin C in my youth (because fizzly vitamin C tablets with orange flavor tasted great, heh!), and in the end it led to a severely sour stomach and me having to stay in bed for like a day. :p

Besides, vitamin C is water soluble. Any excess is just going to get washed out with the urine, I seriously doubt overdosing it will have any real benefits whatsoever. Anyone proclaiming the advantages of large doses of this stuff sound like a snake-oil salesman to me. One dude living to his 90s, well shit, some guys live to their 90s while smoking heavily. Maybe we all ought to light up 4 packs a day, huh? :devilish:

An excess of anything is not wise...
Toxicity does not normally occur, since vitamin C is water soluble and is regularly excreted by the body. Recent studies have shown, however, that excessive doses of vitamin C (many times more than the recommended amount) can lead to toxicity.

The most common manifestations of vitamin C toxicity are kidney stones, and in very rare circumstances, anemia (caused by interference with vitamin B12 absorption).

Diarrhea is also a possible but uncommon symptom associated with massively increased intake of vitamin C.

And even worse:
Over the last few years research has suggested that large doses may be harmful and have the potential to cause DNA damage. This project aims to evaluate the potential toxicity of vitamin C supplements in human volunteers at widely used doses.

Any chance of a link to those Simon? I know someone who should see them :)

There was a documentry on the BBC recently about vitamin supplements and vitamin c was one of the ones they looked at. In the studies that were run it didnt seem to benefit healthy people in any way, ie the instances of contracting cold and flu viruses were roughly equal between the groups that took large vitamin c supplements and those who didn't take any supplements. However once a person contracted a cold or flu virus, those taking vitamin c supplements recovered much faster.

IMO your RDA (through a good diet not supplements) is all you need when your healthy, when you get a cold take some extra vitamin c supplements.

Simon F said:
An excess of anything is not wise...

And even worse:
Those were refutted in vitamin c sites, not sure if it was vitamin c foundation or linus pauling foundation, I think there's a wikipedia entry refutting them too.

Anyway what really intrigues me are the studies indicating larger doses (on the order 400-800mg+) are enough to cause things like a drop in all cause mortality. There's also the correlation in the USA(among the dev. nations) of the publication of the popular linus pauling vitamin c book with a monstrous drop in heart disease related death, prior to diuretics, statins and recommendations for aspirin and the like.

As for the vitamin c loss in urine I've heard multiple doses, can cause a sustained high and there was a flaw in some of the studies involved in setting the rda. There's also the mysterious constant negative media attack(stones, mutations, toxicity, etc.). With later refutations and most positive media rarely published.

Honestly, it all seems a bit suspicious, when you've multi-billion dollar market threatened by inexpensive common nutrients, you can't hope but wonder won't those corp.s whose market is threatened, go all out on horribly distorting anything that could eat significantly into their market.

Here's two of the many sites with info about vitamin c I've found:
vitamin c lifespan increase, large studies

click on the vitamin c project pic on the bottom right corner, no direct links are allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are so many sites that proclaim the health benefits (real, or in most cases, imaginary) of all kinds of stuff. Much of it has studies too backing it up, or at least hearsay. ;)

Most of the people who run such sites seem to be complete nutters IMO, and one should assume right from the start everything on the site is nothing but lies, bunk or delusions.

Living is dangerous, sooner or later it'll kill you. Eat a normal, varied diet and you might live longer. On the other hand, you might end up under a cement truck tomorrow, who can say?

There are also numerous sites detailing how perpetual motion machines (usually called free energy or somesuch) can be made, all corroborating on another, and most offering "refutations" of all the criticism against them.

What does that tell you? Depends on your personality, I suppose. It either tells you that free energy devices are real and being supressed by some huge worldwide conspiracy, or it tells you that people like to believe in miraculous things and some of them are even moderately skilled at putting together websites.

Two quotes from the links I gave:
The most significant report emanated from UCLA in 1992, where it was announced that men who took 800 mg a day of vitamin C lived six years longer than those who consumed the FDA's recommended daily allowance of 60 mg a day. The study, which evaluated 11,348 participants over a ten year period of time, showed that high vitamin C intake extended average life span and reduced mortality from cardiovascular disease by 42%. This study was published in the journal Epidemiology (1992; 3:3, pp 194-202).

The results of the UCLA report were partially confirmed four years later in a nine year study involving 11,178 participants that was published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (August 1996). This study showed that people who took vitamin C and E supplements experienced a 42% reduction in overall mortality.

Linus Pauling is also said to be one of the founders of molecular biology, and is a two time nobel price winner(supposedly the only person who's won two such prizes individually, that is without it being a shared win.), which in my book gives him some credibility. Again I've seen many 90yr olds but its not many who're actively working and full of energy during their 90s like Pauling, it's obviously not evidence and more of a suggestive thing(just as his testimony along with his wife of feeling better and free from illness more than before. ), given it is a single individual.

I think if you are interested in living a long life, go cycling, swimming, drink plenty of water, drink some wine, have plenty of sex, seek stability in your love life and eat whatever you like to eat but in moderation and balance and by that I mean if you like steak dont eat it 24/7....and another very important one is to never stop learning which is kind of a moot point especially in this forum....I think that is the key to living a happy healthy life. I am following roughly 90% of my rules...the remaining 10% is dictated of course by the cirucmstances.

suryad said:
I think if you are interested in living a long life, go cycling, swimming, drink plenty of water, drink some wine, have plenty of sex, seek stability in your love life and eat whatever you like to eat but in moderation and balance and by that I mean if you like steak dont eat it 24/7....and another very important one is to never stop learning which is kind of a moot point especially in this forum....I think that is the key to living a happy healthy life. I am following roughly 90% of my rules...the remaining 10% is dictated of course by the cirucmstances.
Constant Learning is a must, but one must also seek ever greater capabilities. The human body is feeble(what else could you expect out of something that came as the result of an evolutionary process as opposed to a truly intelligent process.), and one must seek to enhance it far beyond its limitations.

As for the meat moderation it seems to be indeed quite important. Just read up on excessive iron in the diet too(quite easy to get excessive iron in the diet, meats, fortified cereals often with 50-100%rda per cup or fraction of a cup, multi-vitamins, vitamin c aiding absorption...), and boy does it seem like a new can of worms. That is supposedly given the essential properties of iron in the body, the body's essentially designed with no decent removal/elimination mechanism, bleeding, cell loss or a bit in sweat are the only ways to get rid of it supposedly. The body controls iron lvls mostly by limitting absorption and it can't stop it completely, meat sources-heme- are easily absorbed. One of those traits that is good in youth bad in old age, aka you need more and more red bloodcells and your growing body can use up practically any it absorbs in a decent diet, young women menstruate and lose it in their blood... but later in life as your body recycles the vast majority of it, prolonged high dietary intake can screw you as slowly more is absorbed than lost naturally. Excess iron promotes free-radical reactions, and essentially screws you in every way imaginable. On top of that there's the bioaccumulation of toxins in meat, the saturated fats, the toxins/carcinogens created while cooking(especially those black grill lines)... can't wait for vr-meat.

Wine wise its cool too, cr-mimetics are always welcomed, I'm consuming red-wine concentrated standardized extracts made in an oxygen free environment and preserved in dark pills under a patented process, and would definitely recommend them-the infinity symbol on the pills gives it the final touch, imho ;) .(I've heard resveratrol, most potent thing in wine, has even been labelled a drug recently by the FDA.).

Vitamin C: Humans do not naturally produce vitamin-C, the machinery to produce it has been broken fairly recently on the evolutionary timescale. I suspect that this breakage may have given our predecessors some rather large evolutionary advantage (since it has obviously not been selected against; if it was just detrimental, it would be selected out quite fast), although it is not at all obvious to me what that advantage could possibly be.

Iron: Hemochromatosis (iron overload disorder) is not THAT mysterious, although it is a quite serious condition that is frequently misdiagnosed. Vitamin C megadoses apparently causes body absorption of iron to increase (which is good if you have an iron deficiency in the first place, but aggravates iron overload).

Big Pharma: While one shouldn't just naively assign 100% credibility to them (they have products/services to sell and of course they do what they can to sell them), assigning 100% credibility to anyone who attacks them will do nothing more than opening up your mind to an unbelievable amount of snake-oil. It's not like the people who offer Alternative treatments can be assumed to be inherently that much more impartial than Big Pharma; they are, after all, operating in the same market and subject to the same market forces.

arjan de lumens said:
Vitamin C: Humans do not naturally produce vitamin-C, the machinery to produce it has been broken fairly recently on the evolutionary timescale. I suspect that this breakage may have given our predecessors some rather large evolutionary advantage (since it has obviously not been selected against; if it was just detrimental, it would be selected out quite fast), although it is not at all obvious to me what that advantage could possibly be.

There was a recent population bottleneck in the human species(not sure how long ago, I'll have to check), those are detrimental to the species, and can sometime cause the loss of beneficial traits and negative ones to get stuck(as everyone in a small pop. could actually have acquired the negative trait.). IT's unknown if such was the case with vitamin c, but it could very well be(especially if the diet is rich in vitamin c containing products, we've already seen the loss of the ability to produce several essential amino acids, and also essential fats, probably due to abundance in the environment. Evolution tends to cripple in such ways causing dependence on external environmental resources, and bringing a species ever closer to extinction may it find environments no longer contains what it's evolved to depend on. ).

Iron: Hemochromatosis (iron overload disorder) is not THAT mysterious, although it is a quite serious condition that is frequently misdiagnosed. Vitamin C megadoses apparently causes body absorption of iron to increase (which is good if you have an iron deficiency in the first place, but aggravates iron overload).

As I've said, some of the best accepted theories of the evolutionary causes of aging indicate that the pressures of natural selection weakens ever more after reproductive age is reached and the organism gets older. Traits that are beneficial in youth but detrimental in old age can indeed be selected for. Again like with vitamin c and the pop. bottleneck, it is unknown if this is the case with iron and natural selection, but it very well could be. High iron intake from a high meat diet plus fortified cereals(often with vitamins) and common multi-vitamins could cause 500+%rda daily intake, presence of heme-iron in meats being easily absorbed vitamin c causing additional absorption, could over the years probably lead to a slow accumulation as the intake is too high, if as I've heard absorption can't be completely stopped by the body.

Notice also that many of the symptoms are things that tend to slowly increase with age too(though iron may or may not contribute to them, as weight gain and aging are also taking place with advancing age): insulin resistance, heart disease risk, weakened immune system, arthritis, erectile dysfunction. We know that in the past, many a disease was considered part of the "natural" aging process, but now it is treated as a disease(though in reality symptoms of the primary disease.), I do not know if any natural accumulation was labelled as such or is still labelled as such, but could very well be. Small excess quantities may contribute, even if ever so slightly, to worsening or accel of the natural aging process over the decades.

That is at least my deduction given something that increases free radical production, can't be easily eliminated and absorption can't be stopped(supposedly since it was so essential the body's designed with no way to fully stop absorption, or so I've heard. Which would probably be a beneficial trait in young age, but not so good later on), which would only present a problem at later ages when natural selection is said to become ever weaker. Females tend to live longer than males and this could be one of the contributing causes as good iron elimination is possible, stopping any accumulation prior to menopause, through the menstrual cycle.

Big Pharma: While one shouldn't just naively assign 100% credibility to them (they have products/services to sell and of course they do what they can to sell them), assigning 100% credibility to anyone who attacks them will do nothing more than opening up your mind to an unbelievable amount of snake-oil. It's not like the people who offer Alternative treatments can be assumed to be inherently that much more impartial than Big Pharma; they are, after all, operating in the same market and subject to the same market forces.

Yes I know this, but I also know who has more to lose. The profits from fresh produce, and a few pills sold at a couple of cents is nothing compared to the billion dollar investments required to bring a drug to the market, such investments would turn to losses in addition to the loss of revenue from the multi-billion dollar market, that maked them make the investment in the first place. All that profit also allows you to buy far more PR than other groups of less profitable industries could.

As long as a group appears credible(say multiple sources, or even the gov. advocating similarly. e.g. omega 3s are good for you.) and shows the significant studies(say large studies, or double-blind placebo studies) involved funded by reliable sources(say the dept of health, gov., etc.), I'll tend to give them a bit more cred than big pharma(who often tends to wipe out their own negative studies and show those that paint their product in the best possible light. Sometimes resulting in the product being so bad it has to be taken off the market. ). Though, I'll always hold some suspicion.

Such an iron overload hypothesis suggests that it would be strongly beneficial to one's health to start donating blood on a regular basis; blood donations are probably the easiest and safest method available to get rid of excess iron.

arjan de lumens said:
Such an iron overload hypothesis suggests that it would be strongly beneficial to one's health to start donating blood on a regular basis; blood donations are probably the easiest and safest method available to get rid of excess iron.
Indeed, I've heard statistics indicate those who donate blood tend to've lower rates of many diseases or something, I'll have to verify it though.

The guy who runs the mercola natural health site has the same recommendation:
When excess iron is present, the body’s normal antibacterial mechanisms become severely compromised. Excess iron can also create massive amounts of free radicals.

If your levels are too high – above 100 – it is very important that you donate your blood. The higher your level the more frequently you should donate your blood. If it is from 100 - 150, once every six months should work fine. If it is more than 300, you will want to donate at least every two months and possibly more frequently if you can tolerate it. Donating your blood is an amazingly effective and inexpensive solution for this problem. If for some reason the blood donor center is unable to accept your blood for donation you can obtain a prescription for therapeutic phlebotomy.

If your ferritin level is above 250 you will want to consider taking IP6 or phytic acid when you eat red meat as this will help bind the iron and prevent you from absorbing it.

On the other hand, if your iron levels are 15 or even 20, you can consider iron replacement. The best form of iron replacement would be healthy red meat.
mercola iron imbalance and parkinson's

I've always has lowish iron no matter what I do. I think it's about 45 or something. Personally, I think I have a perfect body though. Smashing looks, no allergies, strong immune system, great reflexes, agile musculature, overflowing intelligence, respectable empathy, no acne problems ever and bones like steel. I wouldn't be surprised if I was naturally immune to ebola, lol. :LOL: :p

But seriously, I intend to live to 100, so I'm interested in what supplements can aid that. I don't really take any except for this Swiss naturally sourced multi-vitamin that's so big I call the the Horse Pill every now and then when I'm feeling unusally tired, although it turns my piss radioactive yellow, lol. If this vitamin C thingy works, it's worth a shot though.

DudeMiester said:
I've always has lowish iron no matter what I do. I think it's about 45 or something. Personally, I think I have a perfect body though. Smashing looks, no allergies, strong immune system, great reflexes, agile musculature, overflowing intelligence, respectable empathy, no acne problems ever and bones like steel. I wouldn't be surprised if I was naturally immune to ebola, lol. :LOL: :p

But seriously, I intend to live to 100, so I'm interested in what supplements can aid that. I don't really take any except for this Swiss naturally sourced multi-vitamin that's so big I call the the Horse Pill every now and then when I'm feeling unusally tired, although it turns my piss radioactive yellow, lol. If this vitamin C thingy works, it's worth a shot though.
Wow, I'm at least going to check up on my iron lvls too next time I've a blood test, and I'll try to keep'em in range.

Another interesting statistic that I just recalled is that centenarian populations statistic indicate that women far outnumber men at those ages, by a substantial number. This could be one of the factors behind it.

Here's a quick googled statistic(which obviously hasn't been verified by me.):
Worldwide, centenarian women outnumber centenarian men by about 9 to1... Women over age 65 outnumber men by a ratio of three to two.
Gender Differences in Longevity article

DudeMiester said:
But seriously, I intend to live to 100, so I'm interested in what supplements can aid that.
Actually, you may be better off by not supplementing your diet but by depleting it - at least in terms of calories. I haven't got time to search for links myself, but some years ago there was an interesting documentary on research that indicated a connection between a longer life and highly decreased calorie intake (at least via test on rats). IIRC, they suspected it was some sort of natural "survival of the species" mechanism.

One poor guy was a human guinea pig and they were testing his body chemistry for changes induced by the diet but he said that being always hungry was not pleasant**. :( They then hoped to see what the trigger mechanism was to see if it could be done some other way.

**Maybe there'd be a double benefit. Not only would you live longer, it would seem much longer... especially between meals.:p

Simon F said:
Actually, you may be better off by not supplementing your diet but by depleting it - at least in terms of calories. I haven't got time to search for links myself, but some years ago there was an interesting documentary on research that indicated a connection between a longer life and highly decreased calorie intake (at least via test on rats). IIRC, they suspected it was some sort of natural "survival of the species" mechanism.

One poor guy was a human guinea pig and they were testing his body chemistry for changes induced by the diet but he said that being always hungry was not pleasant**. :( They then hoped to see what the trigger mechanism was to see if it could be done some other way.

**Maybe there'd be a double benefit. Not only would you live longer, it would seem much longer... especially between meals.:p

Tell me about it :)

Back