What the!!!! PSX cuts and changes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
BEFORE
psx_2378.jpg

AFTER
psx_2939.jpg

PC-Engine said:
Sorry to burst you PSX chest thumpers' bubbles', but Panasonic can be had for a mere $509 and in a month it will probably be less than $500 ;)

That's the 80GB model. A bigger HDD as can be seen in the PC industry adds very little to the costs. A 120GB over the 80GB would only add like $20 overall.

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=pandmre80h&store=&catid=4555

What bubble ? I checked the price myself for a PAL version (NTSC version won't do) for HDD+DVD recorder at local electronics outlet (I wanted to buy one even before we know about the existence of PSX).

It is HK$8998, last updated yesterday, do you have a better price for me ?

If it is around the price of PSX 160G version (which is around HK$5000) I will buy one in a heart beat.

PC-Engine said:
Sorry to burst you PSX chest thumpers' bubbles'

As opposed to those who vehemently oppose it just because... Hey, kinda like you? Ass.

And stop this cost game, we don't care. Those who will buy this product will do it because it offer utility that the others don't - be that tangible or not. Which is a constant among Sony branded product and the image it projects - tangible or not. Just like Lexus or Mercedes. Seriously, find a hobby outside of bashing.

Is it just me or me pal Vincey getting a lil too aggressive of late, something to do with the new developments around :?:

chapback said:
Is it just me or me pal Vincey getting a lil too aggressive of late, something to do with the new developments around :?:

Yes, I've stated many a times that I hate flagrant stupidity. It hurts me. I'm also not your pal, nor your brother.

As per the recent developments, the only one I care about is the Sony, Toshiba, Rambus agreement which has basically reassured me that I'm correct concerning the Broadband Engine. The rest of this is just noise to me.

Does that 'DVD+RW Re-Writeable' logo that is apparently missing from the production PSX front panel mean that it is both unable to both playback(as ch informed) and record +RW discs??

There's no bubble-bursting, PC-Engine. I linked the Panasonic page, so you can see all the listed prices and models right there. That model (DMR-E80H) is MSRP $700, and first off if you're going to go by functional prices, those will change for PSX as well from location to location. (Likely not for a while as they are in limited supply, however.) DMR-E80H is also missing some functionality of the other models, which I admit I can't quite understand what it DOES fully limit (No PC card slot and no DV Input, mainly. No built-in SD slot. It seems to make it not interact with digital video cameras or recorders directly, making it basically just pull TiVo/VCR functionality. No image storing/viewing.) Those models run MSRP $1000 and $1200. Must admit that interoperability with digital equipment is a major reason people would want DVD-burning anyway--not just for backing up shows.

cthellis42 said:
There's no bubble-bursting, PC-Engine. I linked the Panasonic page, so you can see all the listed prices and models right there. That model (DMR-E80H) is MSRP $700, and first off if you're going to go by functional prices, those will change for PSX as well from location to location. (Likely not for a while as they are in limited supply, however.) DMR-E80H is also missing some functionality of the other models, which I admit I can't quite understand what it DOES fully limit (No PC card slot and no DV Input, mainly. No built-in SD slot. It seems to make it not interact with digital video cameras or recorders directly, making it basically just pull TiVo/VCR functionality. No image storing/viewing.) Those models run MSRP $1000 and $1200. Must admit that interoperability with digital equipment is a major reason people would want DVD-burning anyway--not just for backing up shows.

PSX doesn't have DV input either. ;)

BTW the DMR-E60S has everything you mentioned except the HDD and it's priced at $409 at that same vendor. Throw in a 120 GB HDD and it'll still be around $500 or less ;)

Obviously Panasonic doesn't sell a cheap DMR-E120HS because the competition isn't any cheaper so they can continue to sell their E100HS at a much bigger profit. When the competition lowers their prices for a fully feature DVD recorder then Panasonic will accordingly do the same.

Sony have made some last-minute changes to the specifications of the PSX.

First off, the machine will not be compatible with the PlayStationBB service out of the box. They plan to add this compatibility via a firmware upgrade at a later date, though that date is not yet announced. This information can be seen on Sony's own PSX game features page.

Other changes include:
- HDD to DVD recording speed now 12x (was 24x)
- no DVD+RW playback
- no CD-R playback
- static image compatible formats no longer include GIF and TIFF
- Cybershot movie format cannot be downloaded
- MP3 playback no longer possible
- Number of units to be distributed has changed

Source: Yodobashi Camera

I. Hate. DRM.

Sony or not, if the early reports come back that PSX is overly DRM'ed, then they just lost a customer. (No MP3 playback?!)

Still, I think PSX is a good value proposition PS2+DVD/HDD Recorder, you'd be stupid not to get it if you didn't have either and wanted both.

DGMA, shut up with the "it's a DVD Recorder that happens to use PS2OAC." The fact is, it plays PS2 games just as well as a PS2, it is, for all practical purposes, a PS2. I have to wonder, just what did Sony do to you to deserve your eternal hatred?

Anyways, Dec 13 launch, we'll see.

I'm not aware that you can just haphazardly toss any old hard drive into their DVD-R alone and get the thing working. Why on earth would it even have any HDD operational capacity at all unless it COMES with one to begin with? Would kinda defeat the purpose for selling their own HDD combo models.

PSX has a USB port which I guess will certainly get in the way of direct video transfers, but digital pictures can still come in and be sorted, and video can likely be transferred via ethernet as well edited through the machine, making it much more of a media center than you'll get with only the E80H. Not to mention twice the size hard drive (unless those change as well, it's 160 and 250--larger than any other unit's currently) and upgradability.

I think they both use Gemstar's guide, so there's at least no TiVo-like subscription to add cost over time. Hehe...

Regardless, the age of these players is just getting started, and no two are created equal, nor being sold for laughably less. The war's just getting started, and we certainly have no front-runner yet. Heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back