What the!!!! PSX cuts and changes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chapback

Banned
Sony have made some last-minute changes to the specifications of the PSX.

First off, the machine will not be compatible with the PlayStationBB service out of the box. They plan to add this compatibility via a firmware upgrade at a later date, though that date is not yet announced. This information can be seen on Sony's own PSX game features page.

Other changes include:
- HDD to DVD recording speed now 12x (was 24x)
- no DVD+RW playback
- no CD-R playback
- static image compatible formats no longer include GIF and TIFF
- Cybershot movie format cannot be downloaded
- MP3 playback no longer possible
- Number of units to be distributed has changed

Source: Yodobashi Camera

Well well....bleh-too-iii!! I know some might be due to piracy measures or something, but why then do new PS2 reads DVDRW/CDRW!! hmmm...all such restrictions n cutbacks, dont be following the love of a convenient-all-in-one-settop-entertainment-boxes....the PlaystationBB dislocation must be meaning their online structure ain mature yet for everyday everyone usage?

Me guess "its a Sony!" thing ...price + features ain their strong point...shouldnt be surprise. Hope the energetic tech-wiz KK, be knocking more senses into his Sony bosses.

I think Panasonic will crush this PSX with their mature and feature filled DVD recorder boxes. Don be thinking a gimmicky PS2 built-in is gonna help Sony just yet.

looks like a piracy issue and content control largely.

the PlaystationBB dislocation must be meaning their online structure ain mature yet for everyday everyone usage?

I have no idea how you gathered that from article (or at least the part posted here). please explain.

chapback said:
more shocking revelation...no bundled controllers, PSX controllers wont work on PS1/PS2...

eh? that seems like a mess up. can you provide a link. seems like a big issue if they can't omve PS2-->PSX with this many hiccups?

Who cares, for what Sony is giving you and for the price PSX is a GOOD deal if your into this type of stuff.

Paul said:
Who cares, for what Sony is giving you and for the price PSX is a GOOD deal if your into this type of stuff.

that's not the issue tho is it? if Sony can't keep cross compatability in a case like this. it lesens the 'value' for the PSX as a whole

No bundled controllers was to be expected--this isn't a game machine. Non-portability of them doesn't make sense since they specifically put in the same controller ports. (And memory card slots.) Announced spcifications as much as a few days ago mention DVD+RW among them... and even mentioning a record speed of 24x.

Would be good to link the source of these comments, since it's hard to vouch for anything otherwise--and certainly seems like some strange choices in genera. (The network gaming being a "future add" has been known for a while.)

There's a chance they are instead wanting to do more to separate the two PSX models than simply the size of the hard drive, though, so I see some weird changes coming from that.

The value of PSX was already very high for the things you were getting at the price Sony proposed.

These little changes don't really lower the value of a unit whose price/features list was already better than just about anything out there to begin with.

Anyone interested in a dvd burner should just look towards current leader(iirc), Panasonic lineup. Price + Performance + Quality.

And we all know how PSX is only a DVD burner :rolleyes:

No problem, just that it be better alternatives around. :D ACTUALLY, if Sony really did all the cutbacks such, that not be nice as usual. :cry:

Go find me a device that can do all of PSX's functions and come with a 160GB hdd for 700 dollars and we'll talk.

Or do you think PSX is 'only' a DVD burner? Please...

Well Panasonic is certainly not the PRICE option. Nor is Toshiba (not yet offering DVD-R and HDD together, and both being $550-600 separately). RCA's are a bit cheaper (as usual) but also don't combine the two. Sony's CURRENT DVD recorder--no HDD--sells at $700.

For this type of machine, the PSX is actually by far the best value--not to mention having features the others cannot offer at all (and the future capacity for more) just considering a DVD-R/HDD unit in and of itself.

Performance? Quality? <shrugs> Hard to know. There aren't enough of them out there, nor out there long enough for consumers to really tell and differentiate. (I don't even know of Consumer Reports has dealt with and DVD-R's alone yet, let alone combo units.) But price-wise, Panasonic is in the stratosphere, and when others enter they will likely be high as well. (Unless PSX starts intruding too much and competition gets there, as opposed to being "neat tech" picked up by early and richer adopters.)

I agree that most would be better off with a PC of course--but then that's not the market these types of devices ever target. ;)

I think the HD-DVD recorders in Japan arent that expensive. Just pop into any Japan online stores. Well, yeay PSX is a tad cheaper with a PS2. Still time for Panasonic or Toshiba to match it price for price come dec 31.

Be note there are some important features struck off there and i wonder how be the performance/quality/durability of such a jimbo-jumbo product vs standalone. Usually standalones are better at the target job, yeay?

Be note there are some important features struck off there and i wonder how be the performance/quality/durability of such a jimbo-jumbo product vs standalone. Usually standalones are better at the target job, yeay?

maybe, but often it's moreof a myth perpetuated by those like to keep their devices seperate (as well as invest in some really insane gear). a VCR and a microwave? n now that's insane

Usually, sure. Applies to everyone, though. Quality is a big question mark for everyone right now.

Panasonic has one DVD-R/HDD combo that's more in the price range ($700), but lacks input ports and card slots, rather restricting it to fancy VCR work. Its $1200 version is the one appealing to people wanting to transfer on digital movies and all that jazz, and even the 40GB version of that runs a grand. On the whole, a bit confusing...

No others that I have seen yet offer networking, either. At least not for real networking--some are apt to have for TiVo guide updating and the like. (Also, none seem to play the specific DVD+RW format, either, just -RAM -RW and -R.)

These items are currently expensive, and will no doubt remain so for a while. I figure the PSX might shirk on some of the most advanced video quality features, but it certainly offers the most extraneous other features, as well as more likelyhood of future projects. (PS-playing ability, networking, Linux, and more incentive to play around with computer-type activities than Toshiba and Panasonic and others will have with their players.) Frankly, I figured the PSX was going to cost in the $900-1000 range along with said other players, so I'm glad it's able to come out where it's planning on. Probably trying to jump the gun with the concept and get in not only early on in their lifestyle, but take advantage of price and extra features that would make them a standard purchase for that kind of unit. Certainly not going to be high-volume any time soon even at that price, but they choose an interesting route.

Even if the news was true, I don't see the surprise here. It is a usual current consumer electronics products release cycle (Sony is a little worse especially for gadget related products like PSX, cellphones or notebooks).

They cannot get the things fully implemented by the scheduled released date, and will be updated (by firmware update) on a later date. I hope that Sony at least get the PSX hardware right at the scheduled release date.

Sine I am planning to get one for my wife to replace her VHS (since it is much cheaper than the Panasonic HDD+DVD recorders, which still costs US$1000+ here) when a localised (PAL receiver) version is available, hopefully they can also get the firmware right at that moment. I am not going to be a guinean pig. Ha ha !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back