What mp3 are You listening now?

jarre oxygene 7 . .

and earlier music for supermarkets ( though if anyone has a better version than the one i've got ;0)

back to

HIM - Signum Diablo :oops:

I went to see them live this past tuesday, and this is my favourite song of theirs. What a band *in awe*

A Perfect Circle - Fiddle And The Drum; one of only two good covers on their new album. It's pretty shocking by their standards.

Listening on a shiny new Nokia 6230. 8)

_xxx_ said:
Then you should never buy one. I can tell the difference between 320k and a CD very clearly. Maybe it's twenty-one years of making music that make the difference, dunno... ;)

MuFu: I mean in that case it's not worth the effort. For a portable mp3 player with, like, 128 megs you'll rather go for 128 k or even less.

I know what you mean, lol - I hate listening to MP3's really, but on this comp, it's all I have room for...:(

MP3's through my DAW are not an option at all, lol - (sound like crap through the DA2496) - though of course 24/44.1 WAV's are fine...:) (16-bit WAV's are ok, but I still notice the difference). (Running through a NAD C320BEE Amp and Acoustic Energy Aegis One speakers). Kinda wish I had a decent pair of studio monitors - but since I can't really do much with the instrumentation (overall sound quality) atm - (limited to low-end (ish) VSTi's) - it'd probably be a form of torture...;-)

Pity my site will only take 192kbs Mp3's... (Though considering the length / size of most of my tracks that may not be such a bad thing).

As you can guess - I'm currently listening to my stuff - (Austin's 'Mini' Waltz).

_xxx_ said:
I can tell the difference between 320k and a CD very clearly. Maybe it's twenty-one years of making music that make the difference, dunno... ;)

No, you can't. I've met too many selfproclaimed audiophiles who claimed they could but when put to test, they failed. It's like those people claiming that some special EUR 50 per meter speaker cables improve sound fidelity or that painting your CD green improves it.

It depends on what audio that's encoded. Some songs have clear artifacts even at 320kb/s. I have a wav that I've cut from an old Jarre synth track which pretty much all encoders have problems with, mp3, ogg, vqf, mp+, wma etc. There's an audible blur in the sound to higher or lower degree with all formats even at high bitrates. I can definitely hear the difference between the CD audio and 320kb/s mp3 with that track and I'm sure I'd sort them out in a blind test. However, would you pick out any other track, even with similar level of artifacts in the sound, where I didn't know what to listen for I'm pretty sure I would fail.

There might be some pathological cases where the psycho-accustic model completely fails but I doubt that's even remotely common.

Just put yourself to a blind test. Rip some piece of music, convert it to high-bitrate mp3/ogg/whatever, then reconvert it to .wav and burnt it on a CD along with the original track. Set the CD Player to random play and then try to tell which one is which... or even which one is the original.

just been ripping a load of my cds , so i can listen to em at work..

dunno about 320kb but at 192 mp3 . best of the ramones sounds terrible when changed to mp3 .

most of the other stuff, is "okay" , but to say theres no difference is staggering :-/

L233 said:
_xxx_ said:
I can tell the difference between 320k and a CD very clearly. Maybe it's twenty-one years of making music that make the difference, dunno... ;)

No, you can't. I've met too many selfproclaimed audiophiles who claimed they could but when put to test, they failed. It's like those people claiming that some special EUR 50 per meter speaker cables improve sound fidelity or that painting your CD green improves it.

I'm not that extreme an audiophil at all, but be assured that I can. Especially if it's the kind of music with such dynamics like extreme metal stuff. In case of, dunno, Brittney Spears I'd probably fail. But if it's Death, Alice in Chains, Type-o, Slayer etc. I surely can. I know it because I have tried a few CD's in my car in both versions and it's clearly audiable.

Why the hell should I try to prove anything? It's not that it really matters if I can hear a difference or not. I just tell you I can, and you may believe it or not, whatever you wish ;)

Trick Daddy, Lil Jon, and Twista - Let's Go.

It samples Crazy Train. It makes me laugh hysterically. Not chuckle or grin, mind you, but laugh hysterically.

Back