What is VM ware?

demonic

Regular
Hi, I know I could probably google for this info, but what is VM ware? Does it allow you to run various sessions of say Windows 2003 in a window, as its on virtual machine?

Can you run this on Windows XP and do you need 2 cores or can just 1 processor/core be sufficent?

What I want to do, is study for my MCSE exams, plus go for the SQL Server, Exchange and ISA Server. Since I know a litte about them to be efficent in the work place.

I cant afford to get another box, no matter how cheap you guys think it is. But can VMware help me?

All answers appricated :)

download and try on www.vmware.com ... :D

but yes, in vmware, you can create your own virtual pc's with harddisks, network and stuff, boot them up, and install what ever you want. be it linux, be it windows. you just have to have the cd to install from (or install over a network if you have a RIS server around, or what ever you want :D).

it's a great program. work changed dramatically once we started using it.

You are correct, VMWare will help you do what you need. The Workstation software product and the free Server software (both run on top of windows or linux) will both fit the bill for what you are wanting to do. Workstation has more robust snapshotting features which would be helpful for study and practice. Server is free =) Nuff said. MS Virtual Server will also perform these functions, and using it maybe a bonus for your studying..but VMWare's products are used in most shops, as VMWares ESX product is in a class by its self atm. That being said, you will need a machine that is fairly fast and has as much ram as possible.
Have Fun!

Guys, thanks so much for the responses.

Without getting into the arguments of whos best. For someone who usually only goes for microsoft products. Is MS Virtual Server better? Does it do exactly the same things as VMware?

Also, how much ram should I be looking at? My box is a P4 2.8, with 768 Mb of Ram. Is this sufficent?

Cheers

demonic said:
Also, how much ram should I be looking at? My box is a P4 2.8, with 768 Mb of Ram. Is this sufficent?
If you could upgrade to two gigs, do it immediately. VMWare is (understandably) a pig, and trying to run a few different VMs on a single machine simultaneously with 768 megs of RAM will be an exercise in frustration.

The Baron said:
If you could upgrade to two gigs, do it immediately. VMWare is (understandably) a pig, and trying to run a few different VMs on a single machine simultaneously with 768 megs of RAM will be an exercise in frustration.

Well, to be specific, VMWare itself doesn't use that much of RAM, but if you want a VM which simulates a PC with 512MB RAM, those 512 will have to be allocated. It's not really bad if the RAM of the VM isn't fully used (the unneeded RAM is simply swapped out), but if you intend to run SQL Server, Exchange Server etc. simultaneously, 768MB just won't suffice, regardless of using VMWare or not.

Great, will have a think on that.

So could anyone explain the difference between MS Virtual Server 2005 and VM Ware?

demonic said:

So could anyone explain the difference between MS Virtual Server 2005 and VM Ware?
I'm at a nearly-all-Microsoft shop, but our internal server virtualization project decided on VMWare as our standard -- this was back when they were still charging for the ESX platform even. VMWare seems to have more robust support and faster updates for new features, such as virtualized SMP, client-OS 3D acceleration, 802.11p virtual LANs, support for more client OSes, etc.

Funnily enough, MS's VPC doesn't even allow Vista to work right, but VMWare does. Ha!

demonic said:

VMware has better support for "exotic" hardware & software and, indeed, faster updates/fixes
I bet in your case VirtualPC will do the job too, but you better try both products for a day or two, for me ability to make snapshots is priceless :)

Do I really need VM Server for running Windows 2003 server? Or can I just use the VM Workstation on my Windows XP box?

I'll be buying an extra stick of 1GB ram, so I can load up a server with sql and exchange on it.

Last question also.

Can I run a virtual session of Windows 2003, with sql and exchange. Have a network with 192.168.0

The Real XP box is 192.168.0.100
The Virtual Win2003 is 192.168.0.101
Lets add a Virtual Vista at 192.168.0.102
and a XP laptop at 192.168.0.103

Are all able to ping each other? I.e are actual entities on a Lan?

demonic said:
Do I really need VM Server for running Windows 2003 server? Or can I just use the VM Workstation on my Windows XP box?

I'll be buying an extra stick of 1GB ram, so I can load up a server with sql and exchange on it.

Last question also.

Can I run a virtual session of Windows 2003, with sql and exchange. Have a network with 192.168.0

The Real XP box is 192.168.0.100
The Virtual Win2003 is 192.168.0.101
Lets add a Virtual Vista at 192.168.0.102
and a XP laptop at 192.168.0.103

Are all able to ping each other? I.e are actual entities on a Lan?

In your situation I would say use VMWare workstation as the snapsshots will be great, however you cant beat free for VMWare server that was relaased today if you are low on cash.

And yes in both versions of VMWare you can configure your network like you have described.

Cool thanks..

Well VM Ware is where I am going. So if price wasnt an issue. Which one to go for VM Server or Workstation?

I wont be going the MS route on this, as it isnt as good apparently.

N00b said:
Keep in mind that VMWare Server will only run on a server host os, i.e. Windows Server 2000, Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2003 R2.
that is NOT TRUE.
Right now I have a VMServer running a VM on my desktop PC, under XP :p

Zaphod said:
In related news:
Quote:Virtual PC Is Now Free!

Whether Microsoft virtualization technology is an important component of your existing infrastructure or you're just a Virtual PC enthusiast, you can now download Virtual PC 2004 Service Pack 1 absolutely free. Microsoft is also offering the free download of Virtual PC 2007, with support for Windows Vista in 2007.

MS WILL offer VPC2007... sometime in the future. Such product cannot be downloaded from MS site, not even if one has MSDN Universal access :p

chavvdarrr said:
that is NOT TRUE.
Right now I have a VMServer running a VM on my desktop PC, under XP :p
Thanks for letting me know. I checked the data sheet and it only mentions windows server.

BTW, I heard that you cannot do snapshots with VMWare Server. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by a moderator:
chavvdarrr said:
MS WILL offer VPC2007... sometime in the future. Such product cannot be downloaded from MS site, not even if one has MSDN Universal access :p
Crappy wording, isn't it? They might as well have said: "MS "is also offering the free download of Virtual PC 2007, when hell freezes over". Or: "Don't try VMWare today, wait for VirtualPC 2007, perhaps in ... err ... 2007!" :LOL:

Anyway, 2004SP1 (i.e. the full version of VirtualPC 2004 with SP1) is available today, and more options for no money doesn't hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back