What is causing the wierd lines/waves/distortions on my CRT?

When I increase my monitor resolution past 1024*768 I get weird lines or waves that "bend" across the screen. It gets worse when I increase the resolution higher. I still can't figure out what it is or what might be causing it. I have a Samsung 19" 955DF. Everyone seems to say it gives high resolutions just fine & I can't find any place that mentions this problem. This is unrelated to the refresh rate. It wasn't until I read the article in X-bit labs about electromagnetic interference that I think I might have figured out what the problem would be. Anyone have thoughts on this?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/ocz-powerlead_5.html

Is this a CRT? (I"m too lazy to look up your part #)

If so, and if you've got a fan (or rotating motor) anywhere near the monitor(within 1 foot or so), you'll get those waves.

Try moving your computer away from your monitor.

mine was from my speakers. from careful arrangement of my monitor and speakers, I am able to have my 19" monitor and two speakers, each as large as my monitor, on my desk :D

Russ, it is a CRT (says so in title ;) ). But I do have my 2 speakers near the monitor. But I thought they were shielded. I got Klipsch THX 2.1. But why would the increase of resolution increase the distortion on-screen if it is the speakers?

Try it with a different computer/card/power-cable/vga-cable/position ... if the problem persists exchange it ASAP. Even if they are moire effects they shouldnt be that obvious ... Ive got a hyundai Q910 19" recently with a samsung dynaflat tube and apart from some geometry and very very slight convergence errors Ive got no such problems with it at high resolutions, without moire correction on (I didnt expect perfection for 170 euro, it was the only cheap monitor which did 2048*1536*60Hz ... before they discontinued the model).

My 9800pro had horrible lines and such, I used the DVI out+ adapter and they went away. Anyway good luck.

I've had my monitor for a few months now, so I don't think I can return it. I have an X800Pro. But using the DVI is a good idea. I'll see if I can find that adapter around somewhere (if I have one).

Sounds like moire.
ie two overlapping patterns that don't synch properly cause wierd moving patterns.

That happens with CRTs when the resolution clashes with the dot pitch.
I discovered this recently with my new monitor which suffers nasty moire at 1280*960 but none at 1280*1024 or 1600*1200.
Speaker location affected the moire pattern but doesn't seem to affect the recommended resolutions.

Well, it turns out I don't have a DVI to VGA adapter (Male to Female.... that always gets me :LOL: ). So I bought one from Newegg. I also tested if it was the speakers. I unplugged the speakers & removed them from the desk. Unfortunately the wavy distortions on the left & right sides of the monitor remain there. I also changed the Moire & used the Degauss & it didn't change anything, either.

So I'm pretty sure it's either a bad monitor or electro-magnetic interference.

I bought the OCZ VGA & HDD shielded power cords described in the X-Bit article. They are being shipped from Newegg in the same shipment as the adapter. So, hopefully using either or both will fix this problem.

As a side note, if it ends up being the electro-magnetic interference from the power cords on the VGA, the OCZ cards actually might allow a higher overclock.

I'll post back when I get more info. :D

arrrse said:
Sounds like moire.
ie two overlapping patterns that don't synch properly cause wierd moving patterns.

That happens with CRTs when the resolution clashes with the dot pitch.
I discovered this recently with my new monitor which suffers nasty moire at 1280*960 but none at 1280*1024 or 1600*1200.
Speaker location affected the moire pattern but doesn't seem to affect the recommended resolutions.

Well, the waves appear on the right & left sides when I increase res over 1024*768. It gets increasingly worse the higher res I try. It doesn't matter if its 1280*960 or 1280*1024 or 1600*1200.

My initial set moire was at "0" then I increased it to "100". Distortions are still there. o_O :cry:

If you havent already also try different monitor cables (and ideally a different computer/video-card of course). If you dont mind a refurbished unit you can probably get a replacement if the monitor turns out to be busted, or wait for a repair, Samsung offers that within the US within the warranty period which even there is 3 years. If they offer that in the US I assume they have decent warranty everywhere :)

I do have a backup computer. I guess I should try the monitor there, as well. What about my subwoofer? Can my sub be putting out interference?

I would try moving all speakers, even the sub woofer. Also I had a problem kind of like this once but resolution didn't make it better or worse and I found out what it was is my cell phone which I had lost has slid under the stand for my moniter, and that was making it go crazy. So my advice is take roll of all the phones in your house and make sure there at least a few feet away.

Back