What games will laugh at an X2?

The549

Regular
I have this thread HERE about by setup, which will now include 3gb RAM, an HD 4850, and my trusty AMD X2 4600 processor at 2.4GHz.

I'm planning on trying all of the below, will any be CPU limited (1280X1024, 2xAA if possible), and if so to what extent? I'm a person who notices lag...What about an X2 6000 at 3GHz?

Far Cry 2
Crysis
STALKER Clear Sky
Oblivion
COD 4 possibly.

I have an X2 5600+ which at stock speeds runs @ 2.8ghz.

As a quick example :

- On the Counter Strike Source built in stress test @ 1280x1024 everything maxxed, 6xAA and 16xAF i was hitting 196fps.

When i OC'd my 5600+ to 3.2ghz it hit 227fps at the same settings. My 8800 GT and the 4850 aint that far apart so i would say that your CPU will bottleneck a 4850. OC'ing your 4600 X2 would help out alot imo :smile:

I dont think that is entirely accurate for all games. The Source engine has been known to be CPU dependant as well and that is probably why it scales really well all across the different hardware platforms.

I dont think that is entirely accurate for all games. The Source engine has been known to be CPU dependant as well and that is probably why it scales really well all across the different hardware platforms.

I know different games will have different results and ALL my games showed higher FPS with the OC, some games showed more of an improvment then others. The results from the CSS benchmark were the ones that i remember.

It was just a rough guide :D

Ok, but are there any games that will slow down approaching unplayable speeds due to this processor? ie ~ 30fps.

Ok, but are there any games that will slow down approaching unplayable speeds due to this processor? ie ~ 30fps.

I dout you will ever go down to 30fps tbh and if you do, imo it'll be GPU related and nothing to do with the CPU.

Thats my guess anyway.

What resolution are you planning to game at? If its 1280 x 1024 I would think other than Crysis your X2 will tear everything apart lol

1280X1024 as stated above...just coming back into gaming I guess I was worried and surprised at how much faster the Core2 Duos are, and with the release of the quads. But I guess my original thinking wins out in that the X2 is damn fast (sure feels like it), even if the Core2's are faster. All relative.

Supreme Commander will chew through any/all cores you have.

SupCom doesn't really peg more than a dual core. That game is a technological mixed bag, IMO. It will certainly give any dual core a serious workout, but its design isn't able to peg a quad core.

I've seen the SupCom Maximizer which seems to do a better job at spreading out the threads to get better utilization of quad cores. Not sure how it compares to running on just a dual core.

I would snag one of the Intel quad cores or a dual core if I were you. I think an Intel q6600 is one of the best values for your money.

I've seen the SupCom Maximizer which seems to do a better job at spreading out the threads to get better utilization of quad cores. Not sure how it compares to running on just a dual core.
Yeah I've used it. It still doesn't get a quad going full blast though. And, from what I've read over on the forum, Forged Alliance has some fixes that make Core Maximizer mostly obsolete.

Back