I'm freaking out man...no DX10

The549

Regular
I blame you all. Apparently I feel really funny not being able to play games at decently high specs....and finding out that I can't play stalker with AA in DX9 is killing me.

I realize that I don't have enough money to build a system that will play everything that I want to at high, but looking at possibly Vista and a HD4850, I think I may be able to swing what I want. with the intent of being able to play newer games with 2xAA and at medium to high settings, IS THAT a smart purchase?

I will probably buy Far Cry 2 and Crysis. Playing STALKER Clear Sky. I like outdoorsy games with trees.

1280X1024, 2xAA HIGHLY preferred
7200rpm 16 meg cache HD's
Gigabyte M55SLI Mobo AM2 only. No Quad core I believe
3gigs 800 RAM
X2 4600
X1950GT
barebones XP Pro install :)

Yup a 4850 is a "can't go wrong" purchase. It will be stunningly faster than your current card. Well, until you turn on all the features anyway! :)

Your current rig can probably take it pretty far too. Just give it a try. Oh, and a quad core gets you zilch from games. You're better off with a higher-clocked dual core.

The 4870 is out of my price range unfortunately...what about the Vista upgrade to dual boot for DX10? I can check my compatibility myself, but how about speed-wise?

The 4870 is out of my price range unfortunately...what about the Vista upgrade to dual boot for DX10? I can check my compatibility myself, but how about speed-wise?

Vista is as fast or faster than XP for gaming with current drivers.

TBH unless you have some old hardware which you absolutely need and which isn't supported by Vista, dual booting would be a waste of time. Despite the reports, aside from some very minor compatability issues with older hardware that remain, Vista is an all round better OS.

As for the GPU choice, I agree you can't really go wrong with the 4850. Your only alternative from NV is the 9800GTX+ but the nod would have to go to the 4850.... that is unless you can find a GTX260 within your price range. They might start falling now that the new 260 is out.

I dont think Vista is faster than XP...it might be fast but not as fast as XP.

You should look at some of the recent reviews which cover this. You may be surprised.

Wow thanks for that link guys. That is quite impressive indeed! Hmm Vista is getting more and more tempting for me. I do want something a bit new after all. I just dont want to spend any money at the moment though. Maybe 2009 :)

4850 ordered. :)

Now to decide Vista options. Hopefully the school can get me a discount on a premium 64 bit.

Back