What brought you here and made you join Beyond3D?

I don't remember exactly what initially brought me here, but I expect it was something on nvnews or Uttar's Rumor Mill. What kept me here was the high-level discussion of tech and the industry and the willingness of the more knowledgable posters to share what they know with those of us with a more limited understanding. And, in all honesty, the arguments. I love a good debate and engaging here usually leads to me having a better understanding of the matter at hand and either confirming my position, showing me why my position is wrong, or leaving me somewhere in between.

In 2002 I built my first own PC in my first apartment. I had an athlon XP240o which overclocked very well and a Radeon 9700 non pro model. At that time I somehow ended up registering at Rage3d, because I was looking for a bios and how to flash the card into 9700 Pro, which many were doing at the time. The bios floating around was called mufu-bios, mufu was a member there and here also. I didn't post or even lurk much there after that, then maybe about a year later I was thinking about that forum and googled "mufu bios" or whatever search engine I was using back then... Then the search results showed this place and I thought this was the same forum with 3D and all haha. Sometime later I stopped lurking and started changing the world. :cool:

I came across Beyond 3D through Googling about some GPU. I cannot really remember which, but it was certainly after nv30's failure. I was interested in GPUs since the GeForce 3 (my first modern GPU was a GeForce Ti4200 128Mb) but I did not have regular internet access until 2002. I joined Beyond 3D much later after frequenting the forums as just a reader. Even as a reader I learned a lot about how GPUs work on a high level from all the discussions (all the different units that make a GPU, the pipeline, etc...). I decided to join after Fermi was "revealed" by brightsideofnews website as a cross between a CPU and a GPU (which was bullshit of course, but to my "ignorant" mind it sounded exciting). Also the fact that Fermi really brought about non-graphics uses for GPUs on a grand scale (even if G80 and GT200 were already capable, Fermi brought C++, Fortran etc, support out of the box) was impressive.

In the end my "theory" about GF100 (that you can find on the thread about our first posts) sounded good enough for me to post about it. I guess that just like everyone here, I enjoy speculating about upcoming GPUs and that was the main reason I joined. It is also the only hardware forum I still maintain a regular presence because Beyond 3D has, without a doubt, the most knowledgeable people from all the tech forums I know. Its nice to speculate, but without someone to keep us "close to the ground"/realistic it is a fruitless and sterile exercise.

Back