What are your must-have non-technical or features for next-gen?

They're dodging paying the licensing fee for people who won't use the BluRay playback feature. Until you download the app and the system is capable of playing BluRays MS aren't obligated to pay. The OG Xbox was even worse in that it required you to purchase the IR receiver/remote to play DVDs for the same reason. The hardware purchase subsidized the cost of the DVD playback license for the device.

Yeah, ok - stop being tight gits then?

Also, if you want to be tight gits at least make it that when I have to wait a few minutes before I can play a disk that it does the whole process automatically and not the broken PoS it currently is.

Mandatory keyboard support for at least text field entries (like the name of your Character, for example). This means in addition to the normal console way of using a controller and on screen keypad.

Well, since I waste most of my free time in Destiny and a support app became an obligatory feature to even play the game I consider an IPad on a telescope stand with instant reach a must have feature these days. I could not play without it anymore as it has so much usage in game to parallel media playback and game guide research.

With the xbox app you also have a touch keyboard so I can't really see the point of a normal keyboard support:)

Or upgrading the noise cancelling solution of the optical drive, from memory the original PS3 drive was really quiet.

yes, they are capable of doing it if they develop the software necessary.

So is your display (unless you have a really really old TV). MS and Sony (and Google!) are not interested in making better traditional media centers that plays media that you have stored locally. They are only interested in legal streaming.

Also, if you want to be tight gits at least make it that when I have to wait a few minutes before I can play a disk that it does the whole process automatically and not the broken PoS it currently is.

What was so broken about it when you tried to do it? I don't remember any particular challenges on the two systems I did it on.

Suspend. My favorite feature by far. I’m playing RDR2 right now and have paused the game and simply restarted several days later after using other features/apps on the Xbox or the Xbox simply being off without having to reload a save. If next gen can maintain several games in suspend mode simultaneously, it will be nirvana.

I don’t care about the clunky Xbox UI because the console simply allows me with a few button pushes to power up the Xbox and jump right into the game without the damn minutes long loading that rockstar games are known for having (looking at you GTA).

Last edited:
As others have already said, a better UI. The Switch UI is fast and clean.

Suspend. My favorite feature by far. I’m playing RDR2 right now and have paused the game and simply restarted several days later after using other features/apps on the Xbox or the Xbox simply being off without having to reload a save. If next gen can maintain several games in suspend mode simultaneously, it will be nirvana.

I don’t care about the clunky Xbox UI because the console simply allows me with a few button pushes to power up the Xbox and jump right into the game without the damn minutes long loading that rockstar games are known for having (looking at you GTA).

Suspend was great on the Vita and when Sony announced it for PS4 it was the best news ever for me...it's great for people like me with little game time to just 'jump in' for a quick session.

I guess it’s saves like $20. Multiplied by 40 million units when only like 10-20% will use it is a pure throw away of money and unnecessary costs to the consumer.

Either way, for the X it's a premium console so should be included.
I think in an age where Blu Ray has been out for over a decade that A) it's likely folks have their own dedicated player, and B) Netflix/streaming, so it's fine the way it is (manual opt-in). They could try to make the process easier, I suppose, but I don't see it as a huge hurdle.

$20? Really? Either way, for the X it's a premium console so should be included.

Which is just for the BRD format hardware. Dolby, if you want to include it, also has licensing fees (https://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/licensing.html ). There are likely other fees for hardware manufacturers as well if you want to play back BRD movies.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-much-do-dvd-and-digital-media-playback-features-really-cost/

Each on it's own isn't a huge amount, but all in total amounts to a significant sum. Then multiply all of that by a few million or tens of millions (or in Windows PC case, hundreds of millions). At which point it's a better financial move to have users opt in. so that you're only paying the fees for people that actually plan on using it.

If only 50 million out of say 500 million people plan to use it, why pay the fees for 500 million licenses? Or in the case of XBO, if only 10 million out of 30 million (or whatever the number is) plan to play movies, why pay the fees for people that are never going to play movies?

It's also unclear if the BRD license is only for the hardware component patents or if it includes the fees for hardware playback of movies. Those are 2 separate things.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
$20? Really? Either way, for the X it's a premium console so should be included.
how is bluray doing in 2018 ? As a format does it really matter ?

It seems to be the albatross around console gamings neck https://www.mediaplaynews.com/dvd-blu-ray-disc-player-ownership-continues-to-decline/

As a format it will continue to decline and in 2020 it will be even lower . I predict that once the Disney streaming stuff gets up and running and you no longer need to buy dvd/bluray discs to view all the Disney animation bluray will start to fall off even quicker.

how is bluray doing in 2018 ? As a format does it really matter ?

It seems to be the albatross around console gamings neck https://www.mediaplaynews.com/dvd-blu-ray-disc-player-ownership-continues-to-decline/

As a format it will continue to decline and in 2020 it will be even lower . I predict that once the Disney streaming stuff gets up and running and you no longer need to buy dvd/bluray discs to view all the Disney animation bluray will start to fall off even quicker.

I couldn't find the UHD equivalent so assumed this would be the same. Regardless X is sold as a UHD player (much like PS3 was sold as a BR player) and for $10 on a $500 console it should have been included IMHO.

I couldn't find the UHD equivalent so assumed this would be the same. Regardless X is sold as a UHD player (much like PS3 was sold as a BR player) and for $10 on a $500 console it should have been included IMHO.

What difficulties did you have acquiring the app? For me, the process was such a non-event I don't even remember the details.

Edit: I Googled it

Install by inserting a disc
  1. Insert a Blu-ray or DVD disc into your Xbox One.
  2. Select the Blu-ray Disc app when it appears.
  3. On the Blu-ray player app details page, select Free or Install.
  4. Your disc should start playing automatically.
After the app is installed, you can watch Blu-ray or DVD movies by inserting the disc into your Xbox One and selecting Blu-ray player on the Home screen, or by finding it under My Games & apps.

Was that it?

Last edited:
Back