Vista color system & HDR

Perhaps if you tell us what statements were interesting. ;) I watched from 50min to 55min and nothing really stood out as extremely interesting.

So HDR will be used within the desktop?
Please tell me why?
It sounds like a stupid and useless gimmick.

If I ever get Vista(most likely not) I will make it a habbit to turn off ALL those options.
I don't want 99% of what Vista's made up of.

Good video. Down to earth and serious and professional at the same time. I recommend watching the whole thing. XPS sounds interesting.

Apologies if I wasnt specific. I was too busy trying to figure out that 3d volume that they were showing. I understand it is a visual representation of the color spaces right? And they were trying to expand the space with the new RGB format.....the long named one...SCRGB or something for releasing more power for digital photography users when dealing with RAW. That was fascinating to me. But I didnt understand why they needed HDR...in the desktop. The entire vdo was very fascinating as wireframe noted. XPS is definitely a great idea. I am amazed at the simple but quite significant things that these people at MS are working on. Really cool. And here Apple keeps making fun of them at their keynotes...I dont get it...but I am ranting now.

suryad said:
But I didnt understand why they needed HDR...in the desktop.

It matters for the artists that want more accurate colour reproduction between all different media that they work with. Imagine a version of Photoshop that does HDR coupled with an HDR capable monitor for example.

Hmm...I see what you are saying. Are you talking abotu something like the print samples that they showed in the video from the XPS capable printers?

My wife is a photographer and just squeled like a pig about the possible enhancments of seeing RAW. I'm just kinda freaked out right now.......

Skrying said:
My wife is a photographer and just squeled like a pig about the possible enhancments of seeing RAW. I'm just kinda freaked out right now.......
I bet that's not the only time...er...sorry :LOL:

suryad said:
But I didnt understand why they needed HDR...in the desktop.

If you have a camera that can capture and store the full dynamic range image, rather than tonemapping it to [0..1], it would be great if you could view it in all it's HDR glory directly.

Thanks Humus.

Yeah I am quite excited about the prospect of including RAW in the workflow for my photographs.

RAW can be fun, and also utterly pointless at the same time. My wife generally always shoots in jpeg+raw, just because sometimes jpeg is actually the better format to use because RAW processing can be a pain in the butt. Sometimes when doing RAW you can get to caught up in fixing colors, tones, saturation etc and actually hurt your work flow.

Back