Vista and device drivers

ChronoDK

Newcomer
I'm considering upgrading to Vista, but before doing so I would like to make sure it has drivers for all my hardware. Is there an easy way to determine if Vista will support the hardware I have in my PC? Like running something like a WindowsUpdate-like check?

I heard there is some driver problems with Vista, because drivers NEED to be certified by Microsoft before they can be used. I have several devices connected to Windows XP with non-certified drivers right now.

http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

If your hardware is not on the list, check the vendor's site for Vista drivers.

That way I found out that I would have to buy a new scanner and a new WiFi NIC if I were to upgrade to Vista :no:

Certified drivers are needed for the 64-bit versions only, AFAIK, but you might still need Vista drivers even for the 32bit version - some WinXP drivers work, other don't. That's at least what I've read.

I have been able to use some uncertified drivers and anything I couldn't find drivers for the XP drivers seemed to work just fine. If you're mostly using name brand hardware Vista probably includes all the drivers to begin with. There were only a handful I had to actually go out and find.

Back