Vista 64, PowerDVD 7 and video quality

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
I noticed that the video quality of DVD's using PowerDVD 7 is much worse under Vista64 than in WinXP. It looks like it's something to do with scan mode (240p instead of regular 480p?). I have the impression of watching an old VHS tape. There's no specific setting in PowerDVD.

HD content is fine and even AVI files are OK under Vista64. It's only with DVDs.

Am I missing a codec or something? It happens only with DVD's and PowerDVD. Using the same setup in WinXP the problem doesn't happen.

edit: it's fine with Windows Media Player, so the real culprit here is PowerDVD 7.2 Ultra under Vista64.......

Thx.....

Last edited by a moderator:
It wouldn't surprise me if it's that DRM shit in vista that's tripping you up..

Do you have HDMI or DVI-HDCP video card/monitor? Vista might have gotten into its head that powerdvd isn't "secure".
Peace.

I'm using two 8800ultras in SLI mode.

DVI and BenQ FP241W (24"), which supports hdcp.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's that DRM shit in vista that's tripping you up..

Do you have HDMI or DVI-HDCP video card/monitor? Vista might have gotten into its head that powerdvd isn't "secure".
Peace.

Unlikely. The DRM in Vista only applies for HD (Blu Ray or HD DVD) content. DVDs aren't HD. This is mostly likely a bug in either the video driver, or Power DVD.

from AVS Forum:

Do you have an Nvidia video card? Check out my thread on this issue - you may want to turn off "Inverse Telecine".

option nowhere to be found in neither powerdvd nor nvidia control panel...

where can I find it? thx............

IMPORTANT NOTE: I did notice improvement changing the following setting in PowerDVD:

* perform smart de-interlacing -> manual -> based oin bitstream analysis

There is also the algorithm: bob, median and pixel adaptive (which are meaningless to me :( )

Last edited by a moderator:
from AVS Forum:

option nowhere to be found in neither powerdvd nor nvidia control panel...

where can I find it? thx............

IMPORTANT NOTE: I did notice improvement changing the following setting in PowerDVD:

* perform smart de-interlacing -> manual -> based oin bitstream analysis

There is also the algorithm: bob, median and pixel adaptive (which are meaningless to me :( )

http://www.100fps.com/

Not a bad site to start with imo.

P.S. I have no idea if your system is supported but MPC (Media Player Classic), or MPC Home Cinema (which I've yet to try), or ZoomPlayer, with the DScaler Mpeg2 Video decoder is a highly thought of combo by some aficionados. You have to "tell" MPC to use DScaler (after installing it). I guess I should mention DScaler is software based, no video card hardware acceleration.

Pains me to admit I can't recall what I downloaded to get it working etc. but the following thread might have some info/provide some leads.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=596942&page=1&pp=30

"New Unofficial DSCALER5 with 3:2 Pulldown for 1080i"

Back