CPU overclocking tool for Vista 64

Tokelil

Regular
What tools are people using for overclocking the CPU and GPU under Vista 64? (Without needing to disable driver signing on every reboot)

The tool that comes with my motherboard (Gigabyte) is working fine, but it doesn't support profiles so it's quite annoying for anything than finding a stable clock.

That could be a reason I haven't found an obvious choise yet. :) I do run the CPU a bit overclocked in BIOS, but I'd like to only run my CPU (and GPU) at max speed when I need it, which is mostly when gaming. So I'd like to have at least two profiles I can switch between under Windows.

I used to use SysTool for this but I have no idea if it works on Vista 64. Last time I used it I was running XP32.

You can disable driver signing with vistabootpro.
But if you install SP1 it apparently does something so that method of disabling driver signing no longer works.

Why do you need vista 64bit anyway? Got 4+GB of ram? If not then there is little reason to use a 64 bit os.

You can disable driver signing with vistabootpro.
But if you install SP1 it apparently does something so that method of disabling driver signing no longer works.

Why do you need vista 64bit anyway? Got 4+GB of ram? If not then there is little reason to use a 64 bit os.
I'm running SP1, so no disabling of driver signing. And yes I'm runnint 4 GB of RAM.

Doesn't sound like there are any popular applications out there that I have missed. :(

I'm running SP1, so no disabling of driver signing. And yes I'm runnint 4 GB of RAM.

Doesn't sound like there are any popular applications out there that I have missed. :(
how much ram do you see in 32 bit vista?

Most rigs with a single video card run under a 32bit Windows OS will see at most 3.25 Gigs of memory.

Faster? Not in my experience- I dual booted x32 and x64 vista for months with no perceivable difference.

It'll be faster in certain types of programs, like compiling large amounts of code, or PS, etc. Things that either benefit from 64 bit registers/the extra registers AMD-64 added or the extra ram. I know of an emulator that runs much, much faster than its' 32 bit version partially because of being 64 bit in and of itself(I apologize if that sentence isn't very coherent. I'm awfully tired.).

Even on systems with less than 4GB of ram, I'd suggest Vista64 over Vista32 on any hardware that supports it.

Anyway, something you could consider doing: RMClock supports changing multiplier on the fly, and also has a signed driver. If you can decide on a flat FSB to use, then RMClock would allow you to change the multi from 6x to ??x for your performance-on-demand profile.

RivaTurner does Vista X64 as far as I know.

SpeedFan does Vista x64
Yes both run under Vista64, but RivaTuner can't overclock CPU? (Out of the box as far as I can tell, but there might be a plug-in?) RivaTuner would ofc. be good since I run it already for my GPU.

Speedfan runs as well, but doesn't detect my clock generator apparently, but I guess I could play around and see if I could get it to work on my board.

how much ram do you see in 32 bit vista?
It's a new system I got ~ 2 weeks ago, so I haven't been running any 32 bit OS on it and frankly doesn't plan to. 64 bit OS is the future and I plan to run 8 GB anyway within a year. Also I do software development and would like to compile and test under 64 bit. 64bit Vista brings more security as well and I don't expect any serious driver issues since I don't plan to run any of my legacy parts.

Even on systems with less than 4GB of ram, I'd suggest Vista64 over Vista32 on any hardware that supports it.

Anyway, something you could consider doing: RMClock supports changing multiplier on the fly, and also has a signed driver. If you can decide on a flat FSB to use, then RMClock would allow you to change the multi from 6x to ??x for your performance-on-demand profile.
I use to run RMClock and was planning to once they get a version out which is signed, but that hasn't happened yet as far as I can tell? I have been reading their forums as well and AFAICT you need to "fool" Vista with atsiv.exe drive loader for it to run, which I prefer not to do.

Thanks for the feedback all :)

It'll be faster in certain types of programs, like compiling large amounts of code, or PS, etc. Things that either benefit from 64 bit registers/the extra registers AMD-64 added or the extra ram. I know of an emulator that runs much, much faster than its' 32 bit version partially because of being 64 bit in and of itself(I apologize if that sentence isn't very coherent. I'm awfully tired.).
I know it can be faster in certain things such as compiling code but not very many programs are 64 bit, however as the OP is software dev obviously he is a target for 64 bit systems.

Back