Vista 32 or 64 bit edition?

So, essentially, that only holds true for older CPU's? Should I not even bother installing with two gigs and just go directly at four?

I think it boils down to more of this: if you encounter the error, use the workaround. So start with 4Gb, and go down if you need to :)

Also, I think the fix is included in SP1 so you could always (go through hell and) integrate SP1 into your Vista source before installing it.

Well, I'm happily typing on my state-of-the-art Vista 64 bit OS :)

The installation was flawless and simple. One issue: Only 127 GB of my 2 300 GB HD's is detected. Is this resolved with the SP? I did notice, however, during the install it divided my HD's up into paritions. How do I correct this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm happily typing on my state-of-the-art Vista 64 bit OS :)

The installation was flawless and simple. One issue: Only 127 GB of my 2 300 GB HD's is detected. Is this resolved with the SP? I did notice, however, during the install it divided my HD's up into paritions. How do I correct this?
Looks like it's probably a driver issue:
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=cb52ecf1f46d5110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD

Either way, I have a 1TB drive working properly under Windows Vista x64, even before patching, so it's unlikely a Windows update will fix it.

Looks like it's probably a driver issue:
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=cb52ecf1f46d5110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD

Either way, I have a 1TB drive working properly under Windows Vista x64, even before patching, so it's unlikely a Windows update will fix it.

It's not completely incompatible, is it? I have absolutely no idea how to find a driver for it.

EDIT: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...0000dd04090aRCRD&locale=en-US&reqPage=Support

I don't see Vista on that list... Perhaps it's a BIOS issue?

Arg. I'm really considering formatting and installing 32 bit now. I've had a ton of issues, hopefully due to the fact I'm running 64 bit. My sound card isn't compatible, my video card isn't and the HD's aren't, apparently. Either I'm not installing things correctly, or they're just plain incompatible.

Ink, what are your system specs again?

Luckily, I somehow managed to get my graphics card to work, now the only issue is my sound card, but according to Sound Blaster's forums it's a widespread issue.

Q6600 (not OC'd)
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX
4 GB DDR2
2 300 GB HD's
Vista 64 bit

After fooling around with a few games, Crysis namely, I've decided to stay with 64 bit. Seeing the game maxed running as well as it does, is a little hard to ditch 64. I'm a little disappointed about my sound card, hopefully SB will address the issue, shortly.

Luckily, I somehow managed to get my graphics card to work, now the only issue is my sound card, but according to Sound Blaster's forums it's a widespread issue.

Q6600 (not OC'd)
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX
4 GB DDR2
2 300 GB HD's
Vista 64 bit

After fooling around with a few games, Crysis namely, I've decided to stay with 64 bit. Seeing the game maxed running as well as it does, is a little hard to ditch 64. I'm a little disappointed about my sound card, hopefully SB will address the issue, shortly.
Can you use integrated motherboard sound in the mean time? I have purposely not purchased a Sound Blaster in a long, long time, ever since I had a horrible experience with the drivers for an old SB Live! card. It was so long ago, I don't even remember what issues I had, but I've heard crap like this often enough that I don't want to bother to go back.

Also, were you able to install SP1 and get the rest of your HD space recognized?

Can you use integrated motherboard sound in the mean time? I have purposely not purchased a Sound Blaster in a long, long time, ever since I had a horrible experience with the drivers for an old SB Live! card. It was so long ago, I don't even remember what issues I had, but I've heard crap like this often enough that I don't want to bother to go back.

Also, were you able to install SP1 and get the rest of your HD space recognized?

Apparently there's beta Vista drivers up on their website, I didn't really have time to go more in depth. I did, however, figure out my HD problem. Vista partitioned both my HD's into two partitions each. There's a system utility that allows you to extend your HD's with, literally, three clicks of a button. It makes partitioning, extending, deleting and so forth much, much easier.

I also ditched my SB when Creative couldn't come up with decent drivers for Vista.

I'm taking the other tack, my external X-Fi Elite Pro does a good job as it is, my Minolta Elite Pro 5400 film scanner works as advertised, as do TV-cards and whatnot. Since Vista doesn't look to ever become a dominant platform, I'm likely to stay on XP and OSX at home until the successor to Vista comes around. It won't be more than another couple of years, and hopefully it will be 64-bit through and through, avoiding the current market fragmentation.

Apparently there's beta Vista drivers up on their website, I didn't really have time to go more in depth. I did, however, figure out my HD problem. Vista partitioned both my HD's into two partitions each. There's a system utility that allows you to extend your HD's with, literally, three clicks of a button. It makes partitioning, extending, deleting and so forth much, much easier.
Holy crap, just found out some more info on this issue at slashdot.org:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/08/03/29/046201.shtml

You can click through the link to the blog post to grab the modified drivers, if you want to try them out.

Back