Vista 32 or 64 bit edition?

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
There are two versions around apparently

Build 5308..........

Which one is more stable???

Last edited by a moderator:
Either one isn't fit for use besides testing purposes.
It's running debug code so its gonna be slower than it will be in it's final form.
And driver support is bad so why do you want to use it?

mito said:
But seriously, there will be 2 versions of Vista, 32 and 64 bit, right?
Sort of - there are now 5 versions available to beta testers. I haven't checked, but I have no reason to believe that there isn't a 32 and 64 bit version of each (I suppose you could therefore argue that there are 10 versions of Windows Vista...).

Jack

mito said:
But seriously, there will be 2 versions of Vista, 32 and 64 bit, right?

each vista copy will contain 32 and 64 bit versions. You will be prompted at install to select which you would like (if you have a 64 bit CPU) otherwise it will default to 32bit. There are not really 10 versions since the versions will be identicle and in this case not sold seperatly. And for those that complain about support. 64-bit vista software is in full swing. (drivers)

SugarCoat said:
each vista copy will contain 32 and 64 bit versions. You will be prompted at install to select which you would like
AWESOME news! Thanks man, I've been wondering about this myself, thanks for clearing that up.

My opinion about 64bit windoze (whether XP, 2003 or Vista), don't care about them unless you want to have more than 2GB RAM.

UT2k4 showed us there can be significant speedups from running 64-bit code in a game. Many other apps also like the extra on-chip registers in 64-bit mode.

Download of Build 5308 just finished.

I'm gonna give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what ive seen so far VISTA wont ask what OS you want ( 32-64 ) it autoinstalls the proper version according to the CPU it finds installed.
That may change but since its MS were talking about i very much doubt it.

Kombatant said:
I love it how everyone's talking about warez copies in this thread and nobody seems to care :p
From what I've observed of this (sub-)forum, warez is both the norm and tolerated. I wish I hadn't found this particular part of the site as my general opinion of this place took a nose dive after getting involved in a few "Software Talk" threads :LOL:

Anyway...
Jack

Kombatant said:
I love it how everyone's talking about warez copies in this thread and nobody seems to care :p

Not necessarily, people can have a legit copy of the OS by various ways, beta testers, people having MSDN subscription, people having made private copies (legal in some countries)...

JHoxley said:
From what I've observed of this (sub-)forum, warez is both the norm and tolerated. I wish I hadn't found this particular part of the site as my general opinion of this place took a nose dive after getting involved in a few "Software Talk" threads :LOL:

Anyway...
Jack
It might be the "norm" but it's sure as hell not tolerated at all - any arsehole who is clearly and openly discussing illegal and/or illegally obtained software will get a permanent ban. That said though, as Ingenu has pointed, being able to directly tell if somebody is doing this isn't as obvious as may immediately seen.

Users should all be aware though that we don't have to have direct evidence though to delete messages, edit threads or close accounts - if we genuinely suspect that a user is abusing our system for illegal activities (and they do not respond to any public or private requests), then they're gone. If any general user also suspects such cases, then report the post immediately.

And as a final general warning, if anybody thinks that a simple link to an ISO site is harmless, then think again.

is it too much trouble to make 32 bit games run on 64 bit drivers? any bang for the effort?

other than farcry 64bit patch, are there any 64 bit pc games around?

Back