Virtualization (Multiple OSs)

Miksu

Regular
I've tried to introduce myself to virtualization. I suppose I understand software like Virtual PC, which allows you to run multiple desktops from an OS. But how about server virtualization? One of the hype-lines for virtualization seems to be that it helps you to exploit your server more efficiently. You can install multiple server OSs and run them simultaneously.

But how this actually works? If I have my main OS running MySQL and then I have Win2k3 installed in Microsoft's Virtual Server, also with MySQL, are both the DB-servers active simultaneously? If it works this way and I have to use different TCP-ports for both servers, it's fine and I can understand it. But if they both work in the same port, I'm lost.

The emulated PC will have a different IP address. So your main OS and the guest OS can happily coexists. BTW, VMWare made their VMWare Server software free (as in free beer). You can download a beta version (and the final version when it's available) from www.vmware.com. I think it requires Windows Server 2000 or 2003 or Linux. I use VMWare Workstation and it's just great! Sometimes I run 3 guest OSes simultaneously on a single machine (you'll need a lot of memory for that, though).

Edit:
You came across this. One of the developers briefly explains what VMWare Server is. Not really an introduction, but interesting none the less.

Last edited by a moderator:
N00b said:
The emulated PC will have a different IP address.

Aah, excellent. This explains much.

BTW, VMWare made their VMWare Server software free (as in free beer). You can download a beta version (and the final version when it's available) from www.vmware.com. I think it requires Windows Server 2000 or 2003 or Linux. I use VMWare Workstation and it's just great! Sometimes I run 3 guest OSes simultaneously on a single machine (you'll need a lot of memory for that, though).

Aye, VMWare's release made me aware of virtualization. I'll check it out.

Thanks for answers.

Back