UT2007 ps3 video?

Appears there could be some big differences between the PC and PS3 versions.

Online: The unknown

Mark Rein: I don't think we've exactly squared down what all of the differences are going to be yet on the PS3. Sony's made some very introductory statements about what they're going to be doing with the online space. So we're not 100% sure how the kind of stuff we do with mods and downloadable content fits in visa vi it's on a console and usually when it's on a console it has to be tested by the manufacturer so we're probably going to be pretty guarded about what we can and can't do on the PS3 right now, but we're pretty optimistic that we're going to be able to do a lot of the cool stuff that we're able to do on PC.

I can tell you from personal experience from talking to Sony way back at the beginning about getting Unreal Engine 3 on the console, they get it when it comes to have an open online system and allowing users to do all the things they want to do. So we're cautiously optimistic that we're going to be able to have all kinds of amazing cool things on the PS3 in terms of online but we don't know 100% yet.

Mark Rein: To be honest, we don't really know right now. Sony has hinted that the system is going to be completely open. Player counts, for instance, are usually a function of the server capacity and not the client capacity. Unless your graphics are so complex for each character that you can't render 30 of them together that's not your limitation. It's usually outgoing server bandwidth as well as server power. So the amount of memory and single threaded CPU power are very critical. Presumeably if the system is completely open, we can host games off of the biggest baddest PC servers we can build. That indicates that we should have the same capabilities unless we have to go through some router or some special Sony thing so we just don't have enough details right now to be certain.

More to the point, we have to consider how much fun a game is going to be if there's forty guys in a game and you have a controller in your hand instead of a mouse and keyboard. It's just the gameplay considerations we have to think about. Some games are at their best with four players and some are at their best with forty players. It's hard to say where we'd end up but it probably won't end up being a hundred person game because it's just too fast.

Seems from the above MS/KB is out.

More Vehicular focused gameplay?

Jeff Morris: And I would add that vehicles are something that we're thinking about emphasizing for the console versions. Steering with wassed on the PC is something that works but it's not as ideal as…

Some PS3 Special Sauce

Mark Rein: That really depends on time frame. As you know, we don't have a launch schedule yet for either skew at this point in time. A lot of that is going to depend on whether we decide to bring them out at the same time or not… but there'll probably be some custom content on PS3. I can say with pretty good confidence that we'll do some things on the PS3 that we won't do on the PC version. But there's not reason we can't then take those and port them back to the PC side either. We definitely want to make sure that the console player gets a wake-up for Unreal Tournament. It's been a long time since it's been on a console and that time it was a straight port to PS2 so this time we want to make sure we have something special.

The maps wont be big enough to need the streaming technology. Also seems like they are toning down mobility, which seems to be a hallmark of the series. I don't think PC players will like this news! The IGN interview has a ton of stuff in it.

Sounds like the series is evolving in a lot of ways and they are taking what they feel was the best parts in the series and focusing, adding, and refining those.

Acert93 said:
Seems from the above MS/KB is out.

Not really, they have to accomodate a joypad regardless of whether KB/mouse support is there or not. Sony allows devs to use kb/mouse, but they also have to support the gamepad. I wish IGN had asked them about that.

Acert93 said:
The maps wont be big enough to need the streaming technology. Also seems like they are toning down mobility, which seems to be a hallmark of the series. I don't think PC players will like this news!

If they're making it more like the original UT from that perspective, there'll be plenty of people who'll welcome that. I don't mind really, either way..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back