user profile quickie

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
I'd like to create a simple user account for web browsing, without admin rights (so that others can navigate freely without installing spyware, deleting stuff, etc).

However, I'd like to keep my Bitcomet running in the background after I logout.

How should I proceed?

Thank you.

I don't think you can. You'd have to stay logged in on your account (running BitCommet) and then use user switching to change to the web-browsing account (so that both are logged in simultaneously). Even then I'm not sure this would work, as you may get disconnected when you login to the new account.

Another possibility would be to login as the web-browsing account and then start Bit Comment by right-clicking the .exe directly and then choosing 'Run As..." option from right-click menu (and running it as your account).

Actually this user is able to run and continue downloading through Bitcomet, because I granted read/write rights to the download directory.

What I'd like to change is the fact that I have to unload Bitcomet during my session, logout, login with that user and reload Bitcomet.

I'm not sure what would happen with two Bitcomet running simultaneously.

Try checking out running applications as services, I think you can run them as another user, which will make them presistent.

Interesting. I logged in using this user (with no rights, member of group Users).

If I play an mp3 file using winamp 5.093 it'll crash.
The same won't happen with the admin account.

Winamp probably writes stuff to either the registry and/or config files or playlists, which is probably what the problem is. You could change the permissions on the files in question if you found out what they were.

Diplo said:
Winamp probably writes stuff to either the registry and/or config files or playlists, which is probably what the problem is. You could change the permissions on the files in question if you found out what they were.

How do I grant r/w access to c:\program files\winamp to this common user?
The folder properties asks to move the folder to the "All Users" area.

Back