USB on the XBox: a modding oddysey

MightyPez

Newcomer
Ok, 2 days of work on the xbox and I am finally done. I wanted to start using USB keyboards and mice on my XBox to properly use the web browser Linksboks. So after some heavy reading at Xbox-Scene and picking up a few cheap parts, I got to work.

I started by using a dongle to make a simple USB female lead. This was to test and see if the USB devices would even work at all.

Since it worked, I began to process of gutting my XBox. What you see here is an empty XBox case, the ports 3 and 4 controller bus, and a USB female lead from a PC USB extension. You know, the kind that fit over a PCI slot.

Then began the hard part. A process of splicing the controller wires, soldering in the USB cable, cutting the sheet metal inside, cutting out the plastic just right to fit the USB plug, shaving down the hard drive housing so everything would fit, and filing so it didn't look like ass.

The end result? A decent looking USB plug!

The fit is tight and it's a tiny bit slanted up, but it looks ok and works.

And of course, to test the keyboard and mouse out. Linksboks is a nice little web browser for the XBox. The mouse (logitech MX700) can accurately control the arrow, as well as use the scroll wheel and buttons to scroll. The old USB dell keyboard works like a charm as well.

It's also interesting to note that you can use the keyboard to navigate the dashboard. In my case, Avalaunch. Arrow keys will move around the menus, and Enter will select.

If I were to do it over again I would probably choose a different location for the USB port. The front was entirely too cramped and required too much grinding. If I were to choose a location, it would be in the rear between the ethernet port and the AV port. Plenty of room and it won't be noticed if something gets screwed up.

Back