USB keyboard failing...

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
My USB keyboard appears to be failing sometimes. Some keys won't work after typing them. I have to press the failing key two or three times. After that the keyboard is fine.

It's intermittent, but it happens every once in a while during the day.

I tried unplugging it and I also restarted my computer, to no avail.

Are USB keyboards known to present such issues?

I do not believe it's a hardware issue with the keyboard, I purchased it a few months ago.

my config: dell xps gen 2 laptop.

My USB keyboard appears to be failing sometimes. Some keys won't work after typing them. I have to press the failing key two or three times. After that the keyboard is fine.

It's intermittent, but it happens every once in a while during the day.

I tried unplugging it and I also restarted my computer, to no avail.

Are USB keyboards known to present such issues?

I do not believe it's a hardware issue with the keyboard, I purchased it a few months ago.

my config: dell xps gen 2 laptop.

The fact that you say "some keys" and not all keys indicates poor contacts in the keys themselves. Spill anything on it? Is it dusty there?

You can get one of those USB-to-PS/2 plugs and turn it into a non-USB keyboard to test your USB theory...

When I acquired this laptop I initially used another PS2 keyboard with an ps2 -> usb adapter.

similar issues would happen, like the keyboard going crazy (repeating the character after I typed it).

I thought it'd be the adapter's fault, that's why I purchased this USB keyboard.

When I acquired this laptop I initially used another PS2 keyboard with an ps2 -> usb adapter.

similar issues would happen, like the keyboard going crazy (repeating the character after I typed it).

I thought it'd be the adapter's fault, that's why I purchased this USB keyboard.

Well, either way it's not endemic to USB keyboards. I've got 2 dozen people using them daily with no issues. Might be your usb ports or drivers.

Is the keyboard wireless? If so, put the receiver closer to it. Otherwise, it's a mechanical problem (dirt).

Back