USB Key Issues

Natoma

Veteran
Hey guys. I have a 1GB SanDisk Cruzer Mini that I purchased about a month or so ago. I keep my trillian logs on it and shuttle work documents and videos back and forth. However, I notice that some times, the files are corrupted after I disconnect the drive.

I safely disconnect the drive at all times, and I have tried enabling and disabling write caching. I have tried copying files one at a time, and i have formatted the drive and moved files back on to it. I have used different USB ports, and I have tried the drive on different computers.

Is this random file corruption a "normal" thing with usb drives, or is mine a bad one? Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks for your help everyone.

The wife loves those things. She has three; 512mb, 1gb, 4gb. Uses them on both usb1.1 and usb2.0 on multiple machines (at least 4 off the top of my head I know she uses them on). Never heard her talk about a corruption problem with any files.

Edit: And now having asked her, still no. And she doesn't even follow Russ' advice below. When it's done copying, she pulls it.

geo said:
The wife loves those things. She has three; 512mb, 1gb, 4gb. Uses them on both usb1.1 and usb2.0 on multiple machines (at least 4 off the top of my head I know she uses them on). Never heard her talk about a corruption problem with any files.

Edit: And now having asked her, still no. And she doesn't even follow Russ' advice below. When it's done copying, she pulls it.

What brand does she purchase?

RussSchultz said:
Always right click and 'eject'.

But yeah, you might have a bad one.

I've done that and I've also used the left click "Safely remove..." option. Any good brands you know of that are fast and reliable?

Natoma said:
What brand does she purchase?

Two of the three are San Disk Cruzer Mini. <shrugs> Don't remember what the third is (smallest of the three, capacity-wise), but it's something else.

Could it be environmental? Your magnetic personality? The giant wad of kryptonite chains around your neck you hang it from? The "I'm with Studmuffin" metal keybob?

Sandisk has been the most respected brand in flash storage for digital photography the last number of years. I'd blame your usbdrive if this occurs randomly and with several computers. Aren't the warranties quite good on such products?

Kind Regards
Kjetil

Well I did some double checking on the company I purchased my drive from. Barnsandtech. The reviews that I read on the company all complain about defective and/or counterfeit flash drives. I searched for their information on my Pricegrabber page, and their merchant information is no longer listed. However, their website is still up at barnsandtech.com.

Unfortunately, the reviews say that all attempts to contact the company have proven futile. I googled and they came up on eBay as well. Same deal.

I purchased the drive from them because they were having a sale. Looks like I got swindled. :cry:

Time for the BBB.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck, but to answer your question USB flash drives don't usually come up with random corruption if you remove it according to the safe removal instructions. Have you tried doing a scandisk?

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to hear about the bad buy. Apperantly its been going around with many different items. Items like ipod's, usb keys, memory, .... are being sold as the real thing when they are extremely cheap knock offs.

Use http://www.fatwallet.com/c/18 and check their hot deals for usb flash drives. Just recently they had a 512mb version for free from staples after rebate.

hope you have better luck

epic

Sandisk drives are normally bulletproof.

I washed mine and dryed it in my pants pocket and it works perfectly afterwards :)

I have 3 sandisk USB drives and a lexmark all have lasted a long time and been corruption free. I use the safely remove hardware sometimes, but not all the time. You can see if they are writing or not on the drive usually by the flashing led, if the writing is finished it doesn't matter to much.

london-boy said:
It might just be a republican USB drive...

The monarchial ones are more reliable? Sure that's not just disinformation from Windsor castle?

Back