Urgent Help Needed!!!

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Sorry about the drama sounding title, but i keep getting emails from my friends saying that i have sent them emails from my gmail address with viruses!! First of all, AS IF!! Second of all, what the heck is going on??
I don't know if i have a virus which somehow is getting into my gmail account and sends emails from there, and to be honest i don't even know which computer would have the virus since i access gmail from my home one, my work one and a few others too...

Does anyone know what's going on? And does anyone know if i can get a FREE and reliable antivirus which will clean up my system? I have norton, which finds 13 "risky" things on my system, but when i try to remove those things, it fails to do so...

Thank you so much!

It could be a third party sending the e-mails, it may not necessarily be your PC(s) sending out the viruses.

For example, some other person who knows you (ie. has your g-spot-mail address in their address book) has had their PC infected. The virus on that PC looks through their addressbook and uses the e-mail addresses it finds in there to send messages as if they were coming from you or anyone else in their address book (it's frighteningly trivial to make an e-mail look like it's comes from someone else).

So that PC would be sending out viruses with your g-mail in the From: address, and when the messages bounce they come back to you because the receiving machine assumes you sent them (because that's what the e-mail header says).

One thing to do would be to study the header of the original, virus-laden e-mail carefully, it may be possible to work out where they originating from (there will be a number of header lines with the names of the machines through which the e-mail has been relayed). That might tell you whether it's one of your PCs doing the sending, or not.

As for your question about anti-virus software ... I don't know of anything free I'm afraid, but I've seen others post recommendations here in the past, I'm sure they'll parachute in soon enough!

Does anyone know what's going on? And does anyone know if i can get a FREE and reliable antivirus which will clean up my system? I have norton, which finds 13 "risky" things on my system, but when i try to remove those things, it fails to do so...

Thank you so much!

You can download the latest Kaspersky 6 beta from here. Follow the path for the latest build and get the file kav_5_en.msi. Get Beta activation codes from the top level in the file betacodes.txt.

Although I agree with nutball, that it's probably an infected machine elsewhere that is taking your address from the owner's mail program and using it to send out spam.

Back