Upcoming PS/VS 3.0 cards from XGI ?

I find the fact to "justify" XGI's rendering is funny.

We have:

Original drivers that render the scene properly (except for some games) w/trilinear and having terrible performance.

and

Recent drivers that render the scene in many "unique and ugly" ways w/o trilinear (let alone aniso) to have "acceptable performance in comparison to the competition in certain games even though you sacrifice image quality like hell".

You can't say XGI is rendering trilinear w/o mentioning that they run like crap and you also can't say XGI is performing well w/o mentioning that they are compromising image quality. You can only have one or the other, not both. Until XGI changes their drivers like... completely, there's no way to claim anything otherwise.

*sigh*
Since when was the Xabre promoted to "high end graphics" ?

Ironically the same texture quality problems carry over for generations now, irrelevant of chip or company naming.

Sigh as much as you want, Volari so far does deserve a high end graphics title only what it's price and power consumption concerns.

Oh and yes according to what former users posted, how bout posting a similar screenshot (not some pathetic extraction of an image) to counter those I posted from a real game real time situation. Simple stuff: Serious Sam the Second Encounter and the Technology test. Just show me how far I've been with the blur estimate; preferably at 1280*960*32 and a full screen screenshot.

xGL said:
Ailuros said:
There's not a single reviewer that has experienced equivalent to the competition LOD or texture filtering quality so far in any game, any review, any driver revision. If you're to get full trilinear quality on a Volari and acceptable LOD performance would drop through the gutter.

Trilinear was also available on Xabre if one would disable TurboTexturing modes. There's not a single screenshot from a Volari published so far that shows acceptable texture quality in case scenarios where performance is acceptable.

*sigh*
Since when was the Xabre promoted to "high end graphics" ?
:oops:

As for XGI, there is trilinear :

Did you ever stop and think that maybe Volari does not handle 3dmark the same way they handle other games? Showing the same rehashed screenshot over and over is not proof positive that IQ is any good in other applications.

Did you ever stop and think that maybe Volari does not handle 3dmark the same way they handle other games? Showing the same rehashed screenshot over and over is not proof positive that IQ is any good in other applications.

Besides it "working" on the benchmarks, how's about it WORKING (actually running, not crashing/hanging) in games? ;)

Why do people try to pass off Xabre screenshots as though they were Volari's when they clearly are NOT ?
It's as if people used Geforce4 screenshots and say "this is how the FX 5900 looks like" just because there has been little to no changes in filtering, this reasoning just lacks sense.

Also comparing a picture with no AF with a picture with 16xAF is a bit weird too, it's an apples to oranges comparison - as tech gurus, surely you know it isn't completely fair.

There's a pic of one of Humus demos in another thread - doesn't look that awful, besides the obvious lack of AF which is annoying on a card which aims the high end market :

bumpdemo.jpg

vnet said:
There's a pic of one of Humus demos in another thread - doesn't look that awful, besides the obvious lack of AF which is annoying on a card which aims the high end market :
... and the lack of light attenuation. And performance.

Xmas said:
vnet said:
... and the lack of light attenuation. And performance.
And it costs way to much for how little it's delivering, don't forget that one either! ;)

Also comparing a picture with no AF with a picture with 16xAF is a bit weird too, it's an apples to oranges comparison - as tech gurus, surely you know it isn't completely fair.

No it isn't. But then neither texture or MIPmap LOD was identical between shots either, one is w/o AA, the other one with 4x sparse. The whole oxymoron though starts making sense when the final consumer is being asked to pay similar amounts for high end sollutions and there yes the differences are that sizeable.

Why do people try to pass off Xabre screenshots as though they were Volari's when they clearly are NOT ?

I didn't use any Xabre shots at all for the record, nor did I even claim such. Ironically though filtering tricks seem to carry through over several products generations now, saving obviously quite a lot of performance.

Don't ask me, ask a real expert how much of performance can be saved (think texture caching) when resulting to clear shortcuts in filtering and LOD settings.

The challenge of someone posting a comparable screenshot of a Volari remains open, although I don't have high hopes in seeing one. If though then we'll compare colorized MIPmap shots and performance.

Ailuros said:
The whole oxymoron though starts making sense when the final consumer is being asked to pay similar amounts for high end sollutions and there yes the differences are that sizeable.

Fair enough.

I didn't use any Xabre shots at all for the record, nor did I even claim such.

But the pic you posted on page 1 of this thread is of a Xabre...

The challenge of someone posting a comparable screenshot of a Volari remains open, although I don't have high hopes in seeing one. If though then we'll compare colorized MIPmap shots and performance.

There's a pic just above.

digitalwanderer said:
And it costs way to much for how little it's delivering, don't forget that one either! ;)

And it's the low end single chip version, don't forget that either!
Surely you didn't expect the mainstream version to compete with high end cards, let alone ATI's R350?

But the pic you posted on page 1 of this thread is of a Xabre...

And I stated such where? In fact I don't mention the origin at all, just what acceptable and unacceptable looks like IMO.

There's a pic just above.

*ahem* the viewing range hardly exceeds the first MIPmap boundry, I get in windowed mode >4x times the performance w/o AA/AF, ~3x times the performance with 4xAA/16xAF on and performance is still ~50% higher if I jump to fullscreen 1280*960*32 with 4xAA/16xAF on.

Feel free to check out the demo and move backwards to see how "far" you can get.

Also you missed obviously Xmas' post right above. :rolleyes:

Ailuros said:
There's not a single reviewer that has experienced equivalent to the competition LOD or texture filtering quality so far in any game, any review, any driver revision. If you're to get full trilinear quality on a Volari and acceptable LOD performance would drop through the gutter.

Trilinear was also available on Xabre if one would disable TurboTexturing modes. There's not a single screenshot from a Volari published so far that shows acceptable texture quality in case scenarios where performance is acceptable.

Case example:

Unacceptable output for high end graphics

(image provided, not shown for sake of humanity)

Ahhhh! My eyes!! I think that screenshot gave me glaucoma!
Does running an application without any filtering on any other card get image quality that head-splitting? My eyes reflexively tried to get something to focus in that blur, and it wasn't pleasant.

Back