Unreal Engine 3 on R420 at GDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to be 100% clear in my condemnation of what that person was saying. There was absolutely no truth to it whatsoever. I apologize if my language offended anyone but I was steaming mad when I read this and I wanted to make sure people realized these weren't just half truths, these were complete lies.

Ok Mark no problem mate welcome to the forum :)

who didn't see this one coming?
Vogel already said it was bullshit
and even the guy itself said they mentioned that performance=
so systems =, only real difference could only be from AF/AA
but such an advanced engine must not have them on

Besides, who cares? will take 2,5-3 years to come out, still very early stages, it's all bullshit anyway...

Beyond that, and beyond marketing dollars even, the developers themselves say many things that don't always pan out...

anaqer said:
John Reynolds said:
No, that is the 'real' Mark Rein posting.

Good to hear, I was about to voice a bit of skepticism myself - the first and the third posts seemed a bit... suspect.

I agree, though I expect someone in his position to write with candor, you'd think vulgarity would be nixxed. On the other hand, cudos to him for shutting a liar down. I mean, really, can you argue with what he said? It's rare that a rumor like this gets shot down so powerfully.

Wait a minute before anyone starts with any burning at the stake, I would like to remind you that Nvidia and Epic are official 'technical' partners. Sort of like the last minute patch that was released for TRAOD, I would not disregard obvious observations like frame rate until we have more information.

So to get more information from id and get John Carmack to register at these forums all I have to do is post lies about a comparison made between Doom 3 and Quake 4 at GDC on the R420 and NV40? ;)

"JC was there and I spoke to him and he let slip that the NV40 was great but the R420 was built from the ground up for Doom 3. id had two systems running side by side both made by VIA using the Eden processor running at 1GHz and no fan (its true, no fan!!!) with the Doom 3 Alpha 3 build on them and the GF4mX totally was faster than even the NV40 and R420.... PCI versions (not PCI Express).

It is true I was there and I dont lie and you were not and you are jealous. And JC is a lot shorter than he looks in the photo's."

P.S. If you guys could not figure out what SpellSinger wrote was not complete ""bullshit" (to quote MarkRein) then, well, you are a lost cause! :p

Doomtrooper said:
I would not disregard obvious observations like frame rate until we have more information.
I don't believe for a moment that this person saw both systems run and if he did then his characterization of the performance comparisons are just plain lies. We have important long-term relationships with BOTH companies that we would never want to jeopardize. We need support from all of the major graphics card manufacturers to ensure that our games and engines run as best as they possibly can on all of our customers systems. We sell games and engine licenses, not hardware.

Evanescence said:
I do belive this was some ATI PR joke ... :!:

I very much doubt that ATI's PR would partake in such activities and if there was one board they wouldn't do it at if they were so inclined it would be here.

MarkRein said:
I don't believe for a moment that this person saw both systems run and if he did then his characterization of the performance comparisons are just plain lies. We have important long-term relationships with BOTH companies that we would never want to jeopardize. We need support from all of the major graphics card manufacturers to ensure that our games and engines run as best as they possibly can on all of our customers systems. We sell games and engine licenses, not hardware.

Alright then, what he stated seems to fall in line with what test systems were displayed...albeit 'crappy AMD systems' was not accurate. Still 'his' impression of what he saw for frame rate may be have been wrong, but we need more information until we can make a fair judgement.

BTW,

You do sell hardware Mark, please don't tell me that appearing at Nvidia hardware launches and having a big fat Nvidia logo load up on your engine/game on loadup doesn't either :?

Evanescence said:
I do belive this was some ATI PR joke ... :!:

If anyone believes ATi would stoop so low as to lie about a competitor on a public message board (and jeopardise their relations with a major games vendor in the process), then that person's a truly sad little fanboi.

What would they have to gain by doing something as criminally stupid as that? It didn't even take half a day before Epic staff started swarming around this thread killing those rumors dead, it would just make all of ATi look like a bunch of inept idiots, an internet laughing-stock.

Blaming this mess on ATi is simply a terribly lame thing to do. Jesus, please engage brain before typing, Evan! ;)

Epic Games is a business. They are out to make a profit. Being paid by nvidia to place their logo on startup is no different than Valve taking ATI cash for their Half-life 2 tie in, or Rockstar accepting Sonys cash to make the GTA's PS2 only.

There would be no benifit to Epic to promate a particular hardware manufacture at GDC, or by posting here.

Hmm mess?

I thought it was quite funny - (if not outright hilarious reading some of the responses - wading through the thread ;)

However obviously Epic were definitely NOT impressed and quickly diffused the situation.

Tahir said:
I thought it was quite funny - (if not outright hilarious reading some of the responses - wading through the thread ;)

No offense intended, but is there any reason you didn't bother making that personal observation before anyone from Epic showed up? :rolleyes:

McDusty said:
Epic Games is a business. They are out to make a profit. Being paid by nvidia to place their logo on startup is no different than Valve taking ATI cash for their Half-life 2 tie in, or Rockstar accepting Sonys cash to make the GTA's PS2 only.

There would be no benifit to Epic to promate a particular hardware manufacture at GDC, or by posting here.

Saying you don't sell hardware is 'VERY' misleading. I sometimes think PR thinks everyone is 14 years old.

kemosabe said:
Tahir said:

No offense intended, but is there any reason you didn't bother making that personal observation before anyone from Epic showed up? :rolleyes:

I was laughing my head off too loud?

You may not realise this but I dont browse these boards 24/7 and came a bit late to the party (literally a few minutes just before Mark Rein began posting and way after vogel posted) and even then I doubt I would have bothered replying to this quite useless thread until after Mark Rein had confirmed the whole initial post was rubbish and therefore there were no comebacks or a 'what if' scenario etc.

Would you like me to go into further detail as to why I post at certain times and not others? I mean I read a lot of the threads at Beyond3D whenever I am online (which is not that often these days) and do not post on them (especially the General Forums) because it isn't worth it.

P.S. No offence meant kemosabe.. I didnt mean to belittle anyone ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back